looking for a good camera

L

libragirl

i want to start taking pictures of animals and what ever and want to be able to see (the teeth of them)! get my point! what kind of camera do you recommend? I dont want a digital just a good camera under 500.00 tia

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by libragirl
i want to start taking pictures of animals and what ever and want to be able to see (the teeth of them)! get my point! what kind of camera do you recommend? I dont want a digital just a good camera under 500.00 tia
I got a Sony Cybershot for christmas 3.2 megapixel.. I love it...:smile:

SeaRide

APS camera?

fixed lens camera?

instant camera?

large format camera?

medium format camera?

35mm SLR camera?

L

libragirl

Re: Re: looking for a good camera

Originally posted by SeaRide
APS camera?

fixed lens camera?

instant camera?

large format camera?

medium format camera?

35mm SLR camera?
i have no clue which one i would like? i want something with a great zoom?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Re: Re: Re: looking for a good camera

Why are you ending all of your statements with question marks?:confused:

SeaRide

Re: Re: Re: looking for a good camera

I guess you will need to check out the cameras at the store .. look thru the viewfinder and play with the zoom to see which one you want to focus on the subject up close. I would say from 38mm to 140mm or 170mm would be good one.

1) do you want a subject(animal) to be in focus and everything else around being blurred? (popular for bird watchers) use f/2.8-f/4.5

do you want the subject(person or thing) to be in sharp focus with everything around and behind to be in almost focus (i.e. person standing in front of a house or a mountain) use f/5 and higher like f/11~22

I think there are 35mm Point & Shoot cameras that cost between $150 - $200 would be good.

L

libragirl

Re: Re: Re: Re: looking for a good camera

Originally posted by SeaRide
I guess you will need to check out the cameras at the store .. look thru the viewfinder and play with the zoom to see which one you want to focus on the subject up close. I would say from 38mm to 140mm or 170mm would be good one.

1) do you want a subject(animal) to be in focus and everything else around being blurred? (popular for bird watchers) use f/2.8-f/4.5

do you want the subject(person or thing) to be in sharp focus with everything around and behind to be in almost focus (i.e. person standing in front of a house or a mountain) use f/5 and higher like f/11~22

I think there are 35mm Point & Shoot cameras that cost between $150 - $200 would be good.
thanks! I have some work to do im sure ill find the right one

L

libragirl

Re: Re: Re: Re: looking for a good camera

Originally posted by Nickel
Why are you ending all of your statements with question marks?:confused:
cause i have no clue which one i want so im:confused:

C

Clusterh

Hello...

I am so happy to see this photography chat place - I love it! I am a photography gooroo in that I love to take pictures and do so whenever given the opportunity!

I am not sure what kind of camera that you want but I use a Minolta Stsi and a Minolta Maxxum five with a zoom lense (75-300mm) and can get real close to subjects without a problem. I like Minolta alot though I am disappointed that I had to go to Cannon for a digital SLR even if they are good too. And I have never had a problem with one, except for my one messing up but I think that I did something to it while changing the film...something stupid and I dont count that against Minolta. Anyways, they are great!

Then you also have lenses though which you can get all kinds of. Like I said, the 75-300mm is great for what you need - pictures come out very close and extremely clear. I do recommend, for cost reasons, going with the Quantary lenses rather than the Minolta brand ones. This also means that when you buy another camera later on, same brand, the lense will fit. So, if Minolta goes digital later, you can use that lense on the digital. Good money saving!

As for prices, you can easily get a Minolta 35mm for under five hundred dollars, heck you can get the Minolta and the lense for under that right now - prices for 35mm cameras are dropping big time since digitals are out. I know that Ritz has some good deals when buying cameras, you can check them out online for prices and what not. Another place to look is BH Photo in NY but you have to order online or on the phone from them, they are reliable and great to deal with you just wont hold the camera first. Sometimes they have better deals though. Just a thought - but check out Ritz first!

Also, I recommend going to Ritz or another camera store if you know of one to try the cameras out and talk to the sales people. I would say to check out a camera store rather than another store like Best Buy or Circuit City because they usually know more about the cameras and are more helpful as they wont push the sale as much and will help you find what you need, even just to look and find what you want - then you can buy them anywhere! The people in Ritz in the mall are very nice! This way you can find one that is comfortable for you and suited to your ability. What I mean is that a Maxxum nine is used for more experienced photographers (most times!) because it has more options when the Stsi or Lower Maxxum number is used to less experienced ones - kinda move on up the numbers as you go. Also you might another brand that suits you better, just because I love minoltas doesnt mean everyone does, some will speak highly of Canon or Nikon. Make sense?

Oh and also try out the lenses, make sure that they get close enough for you. Watch out though, dont get one that is too big because it is real hard to take pictures with them. I have a telephoto lense but it is hard to use and I have to work with it alot to get it perfect. It has to be used on a tripod with a remote because it is very sensitive to movement. Just another idea!

I hope that this helps, I know that I have written alot but this is what should go into getting a camera, especially if you are serious about doing it. Might as well spend the time researching and find what you want and what suits you than rush and not be happy, right?

If you want, you can check out my website www.worldshots.net to see what I have taken. This can kinda give you an idea of what the minolta can do with that lense. There is a picture of wood ducks on the home page that was used with the camera/lense I talked about and almost all of the close-ups of the animals and flowers were taken with it also. Maybe that can help, maybe not.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want more - like I said...I love photography!!!!

Jill

ylexot

Super Genius
libragirl, I'm not sure why you said that you don't want digital. These days digital can get as good or better resolution than 35mm film, and I think it's better for non-photographers and people that are learning photography. It gives you the ability to look at the picture immediately to see if it turned out ok. If you don't like the picture, trash it. If you want prints, you can easily take the memory card to Wal-Mart, etc and get prints. Not only that, but you can easily pick which ones you want since you've already seen the pictures.

My suggestion for the sub-$500 range is the Canon Powershot S1 IS:
Sensor 3.2 Megapixel
Optical Zoom 10x
Digital Zoom 3.2x
Combined Zoom 32x
LCD Monitor 1.5-inch TFT
Shutter Speed 15 - 1/2000 sec.
Memory Included 32MB Compact Flash Card
Storage Media Compact Flash Type I or Type II (probably the least expensive memory type)

Oh yeah, and the best part...Image Stabilization! Very nice feature for zoom shots.

Here's a link on where to get it (there may be cheaper places)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...u=C930-1102&SRCCODE=CNETFEED&CMP=OTC-CNETFEED

L

libragirl

Originally posted by ylexot
libragirl, I'm not sure why you said that you don't want digital. These days digital can get as good or better resolution than 35mm film, and I think it's better for non-photographers and people that are learning photography. It gives you the ability to look at the picture immediately to see if it turned out ok. If you don't like the picture, trash it. If you want prints, you can easily take the memory card to Wal-Mart, etc and get prints. Not only that, but you can easily pick which ones you want since you've already seen the pictures.

My suggestion for the sub-$500 range is the Canon Powershot S1 IS:
Sensor 3.2 Megapixel
Optical Zoom 10x
Digital Zoom 3.2x
Combined Zoom 32x
LCD Monitor 1.5-inch TFT
Shutter Speed 15 - 1/2000 sec.
Memory Included 32MB Compact Flash Card
Storage Media Compact Flash Type I or Type II (probably the least expensive memory type)

Oh yeah, and the best part...Image Stabilization! Very nice feature for zoom shots.

Here's a link on where to get it (there may be cheaper places)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...u=C930-1102&SRCCODE=CNETFEED&CMP=OTC-CNETFEED
thanks everyone i think ill look into digital !! ill let you know when i decide and how everything turns out

ylexot

Super Genius
Oh, and a couple more tips on digital...4 Megapixel should be plenty for almost everyone (except the pros and wannabe pros...like me). I had a shot from a 2 Megapixel camera blown up to 20"x30" and it came out beautiful.

There are two kinds of zoom for digital...optical and digital. Optical moves lenses around to change the size of the image on the image sensor. Digital zoom basically crops the image that is on the sensor. That means it is effectively reducing the resolution of your camera. The camera will also do some interpolation to try to effectively increase the resolution, but it's not quite as good. So, optical zoom is better for image quality, but it does add size and weight.

lucaswebco

Get a 35mm Canon SLR. It is the best to use for a beginner. It is very intuitive and outputs good photos. I've used Canons for 10 years for landscape photography and I love 'em.

Also, get a 28 x 200 or a 28 x 300 zoom lens. Tamron is good. You'll find it useful for animal photography.

Last edited: