Looking for help.....

Lump

My husband and I bought a boat with an outboard motor and a trailer from a friend. We know we need to register the Boat with the DNR and the Trailer with the DMV. Trying to figure out what we actually need, as I see conflicting info online.

I see a Bill of Sale for a boat purchase in MD, but it doesn't list the motor or trailer, as some forms do. Do I need a bill of sale for each item or look for another form that lists them all?

One site says that MD needs all Bill of Sale notarized while the MD form I found (that only lists the boat) says you don't need it notarized.

A Friend said that if I don't have a notarized Bill of Sale that they will make us pay taxes by Blue Book value....... Does anyone know this to be true?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
For the boat -
DNR said:
  • DNR Form B-240
  • Original title (properly assigned – purchaser name, seller's signature and date, purchase price)
  • Original Certified / Notarized Bill of Sale if purchaser's name, sale date or price is missing from assignment of title
  • A bill of sale must include the names of the buyer and the seller, date of sale, seller’s signature, amount of sale and vessel description (year, manufacturer, hull identification number and/or current registration number).
  • Original lien release if seller's title shows a recorded lien.

So if you have the title assigned properly no bill of sale is needed.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
For the trailer -
MVA said:
Boat, Camping, Tent or Travel Trailers

All trailers are subject to the same motor vehicle laws as passenger vehicles. They must be titled and if registration is desired, they must be safety inspected (if they are used vehicles).
So you should have also received a title for the trailer, if it is assigned properly, no bill of sale required, you will need a safety inspection to get it registered.

Lump

For the trailer -
So you should have also received a title for the trailer, if it is assigned properly, no bill of sale required, you will need a safety inspection to get it registered.
Thank you again!

Looks like I just get the Trailer Title notarized if we paid less than blue book value.

I think I've got it now.

Sometimes there is too much info online!

limblips

PREMO Member
My husband and I bought a boat with an outboard motor and a trailer from a friend. We know we need to register the Boat with the DNR and the Trailer with the DMV. Trying to figure out what we actually need, as I see conflicting info online.

I see a Bill of Sale for a boat purchase in MD, but it doesn't list the motor or trailer, as some forms do. Do I need a bill of sale for each item or look for another form that lists them all?

One site says that MD needs all Bill of Sale notarized while the MD form I found (that only lists the boat) says you don't need it notarized.

A Friend said that if I don't have a notarized Bill of Sale that they will make us pay taxes by Blue Book value....... Does anyone know this to be true?
If this is your first boat don't even register it, sell it now and get a bigger boat. Eliminate the middle steps.