looking for input..

tiltedangel

there is a cat that has been coming around my house for sometime now, she is a very sweet little cat. She is also very pregnant! I have tried to bring her to places but of course with the over abundance of cats no one has room for her at this time, so in fear of her being put down, i want to help her. I have 3cats in the house and cannot bring her in until i know she is safe as far as disease and treated with flea and tick meds. I have called vets and found that it is safe for me to apply a topical flea treatment which i will do. I also put a cat carrier under the porch with a towel so she will be warm and dry if she chooses to have the kittens there(although i am not sure she will, she is very dirty almost looks like wherever she goes there is oil) i make sure she is fed. Is there anything else i need to do? i hope eventually to get her vetted and fixed but right now my heart is there, but not the finances to go with it. I have had cats but not pregnant ones would like to hear from someone who has dealt with soon to be mommy cats :howdy:

nobody really

I need a nap
Where's cattitude?!!! She is the bestest at this kind of advice.

Be careful with the topical flea treatment. I used it once on my Abby, and she was ill for about 3 days. Almost to the point of me having to take her to the vet, but i stopped the treatments and she got better.

Good luck with mama!

tiltedangel

i know, i didn't think i could treat her either, but the vet said it was ok. I might wait just in case i really don't want to make her sick. I pulled a tick off her so i know she will need to be treated. Thank you for your reply :howdy:

nobody really

I need a nap
try it for one day, and watch her very carefully. I can't remember what I used - it was something over the counter. Abby had a reaction within a few hours, very lethargic, not eating, just blah acting.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Where's cattitude?!!! She is the bestest at this kind of advice.

Be careful with the topical flea treatment. I used it once on my Abby, and she was ill for about 3 days. Almost to the point of me having to take her to the vet, but i stopped the treatments and she got better.

Good luck with mama!

:howdy:

My advice would be to contain her because she probably will not have the kittens in the place you provided. Kittens will become feral fairly quickly if they are not handled, not to mention being born in a dirty environment, etc.

TiltedAngel, if you are interested, I can contact the rescue I volunteer with (PAWS) and see if we have someone who can take her in.

Last edited:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
i know, i didn't think i could treat her either, but the vet said it was ok. I might wait just in case i really don't want to make her sick. I pulled a tick off her so i know she will need to be treated. Thank you for your reply :howdy:

Be EXTREMELY careful what you use. Cats can have very bad reactions to the topical flea treatments, especially Hartz and those of that type.

tiltedangel

:howdy:

My advice would be to contain her because she probably will not have the kittens in the place you provided. Kittens will become feral fairly quickly if they are not handled, not to mention being born in a dirty environment, etc.

TiltedAngel, if you are interested, I can contact the rescue I volunteer with (PAWS) and see if we have someone who can take her in.

Thank you Cattitude! I really like this little kitty and definitely would not like to see her put down. She has had a tough time of it for a few months and deserves better. She only has one eye, someone in the neighborhood must have put the other out with a bb or something. It is healed and is not giving her any problems. I cried when i saw that i was soo angry! so she has been hanging around our house and getting used to us. This morning she tried to come in the house when hubby opened the door lol! If i wasn't afraid of other issues with my other cats, i would have let her in. (I even thought of putting her in my little dogs crate, but then she would still be around my other cats.) With three cats what is one more lol! I would love it if your friend could find her a good home! It would be so nice for her! I truly wish i could keep her myself, but i can't give her all she needs right now. Sometimes i really hate loving animals so much lol!

tiltedangel

Be EXTREMELY careful what you use. Cats can have very bad reactions to the topical flea treatments, especially Hartz and those of that type.

I am not going to put anything on her, don't want to risk making her sick. I am really glad you replied to my post, everyone here says you are the one to ask.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Thank you Cattitude! I really like this little kitty and definitely would not like to see her put down. She has had a tough time of it for a few months and deserves better. She only has one eye, someone in the neighborhood must have put the other out with a bb or something. It is healed and is not giving her any problems. I cried when i saw that i was soo angry! so she has been hanging around our house and getting used to us. This morning she tried to come in the house when hubby opened the door lol! If i wasn't afraid of other issues with my other cats, i would have let her in. (I even thought of putting her in my little dogs crate, but then she would still be around my other cats.) With three cats what is one more lol! I would love it if your friend could find her a good home! It would be so nice for her! I truly wish i could keep her myself, but i can't give her all she needs right now. Sometimes i really hate loving animals so much lol!

I'll get back with you today or tomorrow. But, if she's VERY pregnant, I'd try to put her somewhere that you will know where she is.

tiltedangel

Cattitude, if they can't take her it's ok. I am not letting her go anywhere, i will do the best i can to see that she is ok. I guess you could say i am a little attached to her. lol! It might take me a couple months to get the money together for vet care, but in the meantime i will just keep doing as i have been. (It's not a case of if i can't find someone she will have to go, i will take care of her.)

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Cattitude, if they can't take her it's ok. I am not letting her go anywhere, i will do the best i can to see that she is ok. I guess you could say i am a little attached to her. lol! It might take me a couple months to get the money together for vet care, but in the meantime i will just keep doing as i have been. (It's not a case of if i can't find someone she will have to go, i will take care of her.)

If you can agree to foster her for PAWs, we can get you assistance with vet bills, etc. But you would have to bring them into your home. My contact is on vacation this week, but I called the President and I'm sure I'll hear from her sometime today.

tiltedangel

i will talk with hubby, i really don't think he would mind (but best not to assume lol) can you tell me how the fostering works? and the vet bills? we really are strapped at this point we are doing repairs to the home. I have no other reason for not bringing her in than making sure of her not having something the cats could catch other than fleas and ticks (them i can cure).

sorry had to edit. I kept leaving words out lol!

Last edited:

tiltedangel

I'll get back with you today or tomorrow. But, if she's VERY pregnant, I'd try to put her somewhere that you will know where she is.

Haha! she is easy to find all i have to do is open the front door, she usually is standing up peeking in the window..she is sooo cute! she likes my other cat, they talk to each other through the door.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
i will talk with hubby, i really don't think he would mind (but best not to assume lol) can you tell me how the fostering works? and the vet bills? we really are strapped at this point we are doing repairs to the home. I have no other reason for not bringing her in than making sure of her not having something the cats could catch other than fleas and ticks (them i can cure).

sorry had to edit. I kept leaving words out lol!

If you foster and it all works out (that PAWS will aprove you as a foster), all costs are covered. Of course, I cannot act as an authority for PAWs but I know we do need foster homes. I'll let you know.

Last edited:

tiltedangel

If you foster and it all works out (that PAWS will aprove you as a foster), all costs are covered. Of course, I cannot act as an authority for PAWs but I know we do need foster homes. I'll let you know.

ok, thank you. In the meantime i will talk to my hubby about it too.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
AND..

that would include spaying and neutering of the kittens and being responsible for placing them in homes. They also check the kittens for feline leukemia/AIDS and if they are positive, we don't go any further with them. They are euthanized prior to spay/neuter.

PAWS is a great group, they provide wonderful support and have been around for a very long time. :yay:

tiltedangel

good to know, and the momma do they check her for those things as well? i would imagine they do, but i am not sure what they do when they are pregnant. If for some reason they do not approve me, will they try to find someone else to foster her?

J

jp2854

AND..

that would include spaying and neutering of the kittens and being responsible for placing them in homes. They also check the kittens for feline leukemia/AIDS and if they are positive, we don't go any further with them. They are euthanized prior to spay/neuter.

PAWS is a great group, they provide wonderful support and have been around for a very long time. :yay:

I used to foster with paws when i lived in solomons they sometimes even give you food to feed the cat (but you need to check the expiration date on the bag as one time they didn't realize it but they gave me an expired bag of catfood no biggy I went out and bought the cat food (the kind they gave me to feed them) and they gave me one the next time they saw me to replace it that wasn't expired). I do know for me when I fostered they had me take the kittens to pet adoption days (or they will pick them up from you and drop them back off later that evening to you) so people can check them out and see if they want to adopt them. I liked working for paws but right now I have too many animals and can't take any extras in living in a small place right now.

I adopted a cat from them. She is hell on wheels (she likes to attack anything that moves (i.e the dogs tail or paw if its hanging over the edge of the couch the batting under my bed that is attatched to the boxspring and she loves to get behind my blinds and try to take them down (they are wooden blinds) she is funny to watch. I am hoping that as she gets older (shes only one) that she calms down more than she already has so my senior cat will live for a few more years as she likes to drive her crazy with chasing her around the bedroom. its a game with shadow but pebbles doesn't like it one bit.