Looking for refridgerator reccomendations

DQ2B

I will be purchasing a new refrigerator (as well as all other major kitchen appliances) and I am dismayed at the terrible reviews of EVERYTHING I look at. Makes me want to keep my ugly, old but working-just-fine fridge. will be purchasing a side-by-side type. I don't need bells and whistles. My main object is that the damn thing is reliable. I purchased a new washer several years ago and it was one of the energy efficient, low water types. It's the worst thing ever! the clothes come out dirtier than they went in. My 25 year-old washer was soooo much better. Shoulda kept it and I don't want to run into the same thing with these new appliances I am about drop a chunk of change.

Chris0nllyn

They don't make 'em like they used to.

I just bought all new appliances and within a few weeks a little plastic door closer bracket broke. I called Samsung and asked for the part as it was under warranty. They said they needed to send someone out.

I declined because that's dumb and it's a $6 part I ordered online.

They called me a week later and asked why I didn't want someone to come out and I explained why. They refunded me the entire purchase amount of the fridge.

tuffenuff2

I totally agree with staying away from Samsung. They look nice but break quickly. I have a Whirlpool refrigerator and stove and love them!!!!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I totally agree with staying away from Samsung.

Ours has been a pain in the ass the 5 or so yrs we have owned it.

Getting a working main board who the original died was a 3 month hassle ... multiple replacements before the freezer was fully functional again.

ginwoman

We got a GE washer from Lowes a few months ago and have been happy with it so far. I purchased a warranty with it.

frequentflier

happy to be living
WE used to buy appliances based on Consumer Reports Recommendations. And EVERY appliance we bought that they recommended was a piece of $hit from vacuum cleaners to refrigerators. We heard something pop and the fridge started smoking. Fortunate we were home because my husband was concerned it may have started a fire. Maybe just a freak accident but that was the last time we used consumer reports for anything.
The fridge wasn't that old.

When looking at a fridge, look closely. You'll find that many are made by the same manufacturer. For example, my Kenmore Elite that I've had for 5 years and absolutely happy with, is made by Samsung. All they do is change a couple of interior shelves and maybe a different logic board, but the same basic guts and frame. Same with dishwashers, etc....

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I would stay away from anything by Samsung, and in general the over priced trendy looking refrigerators.

Personally I like GE appliances.

If you must have something fancier than say an $800 fridge, I would go whole hog and buy something from sub zero, but they ain't cheap.

https://www.subzero-wolf.com/sub-zero

Agreed. that's our plan for the forever home. My parents had sub zero fridge put in when they built their house in 2001. That fridge and jennair oven had quite the beating - 3 kids (2 rough and tumble boys), all the big family holiday dinners, mom being a pretty serious home chef...still going strong, hardly any repairs.

we currently have samsung...meh. Had to DIY a couple fixes on our own already, thankfully my guy knows how. I'd be at a loss.

PeoplesElbow

we currently have samsung...meh. Had to DIY a couple fixes on our own already, thankfully my guy knows how. I'd be at a loss.
Friend back home owns an appliance store, he hates Samsung because people always come in wanting them and so many come back complaining about them, trying to return them he put up a sign that says "We do not carry Samsung, we only carry good appliances"

PeoplesElbow

I totally agree with staying away from Samsung. They look nice but break quickly. I have a Whirlpool refrigerator and stove and love them!!!!
I have heard there is no Whirlpool repair service that will come to southern Maryland, friend had a fridge he got from Lowes with a warranty and they could not get anyone to fix it so they gave him a new one finally, he was out of a fridge for a month though before they finally relented.