Looking for Some help

mitzi

I think Denny's is still in the same place it's always been. I'm not sure what, if anything was in the PO Folks building before it was built.

Pretty sure you're right. Now it's going to drive me nuts what it was. OH I THINK REMEMBER, SHONEY'S

rio

Pretty sure you're right. Now it's going to drive me nuts what it was. OH I THINK REMEMBER, SHONEY'S
Yeah, I do remember a Shoney's/Bobs Big Boy somewhere in that area....Gah! Were they two separate restaurants at different times, cause I'm pretty sure I remember eating at Big Boy when PoFolks was open? Seems like BB was further north on 301 than PoFolks and a Shoneys further down.
😂Damn whoever started this, now I can't stop!

mitzi

Yeah, I do remember a Shoney's/Bobs Big Boy somewhere in that area....Gah! Were they two separate restaurants at different times, cause I'm pretty sure I remember eating at Big Boy when PoFolks was open? Seems like BB was further north on 301 than PoFolks and a Shoneys further down.
😂Damn whoever started this, now I can't stop!

If I drove thru Waldorf now, I may be able to place where Shoney's was. It was on southbound 301, around the area where KMart was. I can't stop either lol. I'm pretty sure Shoney's and Bob's Big Boy were in the same building with Bob's Big Boy there first.

Miker/t

If I drove thru Waldorf now, I may be able to place where Shoney's was. It was on southbound 301, around the area where KMart was. I can't stop either lol. I'm pretty sure Shoney's and Bob's Big Boy were in the same building with Bob's Big Boy there first.

Wasn't the Big Boy where Bob Evans is?

rio

Anyone else remember cruising the parking lot of (was it called Shopper's World?) on the weekends? Same center where the movie theater was and the restaurant of a dozen names.

rio

I was on a date with a guy at the movies and "went out for a smoke", found a better ride home cruisin' the lot...never even went back in. 😂 I did feel bad about it, but he was very handsy and my brother happened by, so....

bmllyon

Wife and I are racking our brains to remember what the original restaurant was at the Red, Hot, and Blue in Waldorf. This was the late 90's just before they changed to RH&B.

Anyone remember???? Thanks!
Gino's back in the 70's

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Po Folks was on the south side of a motel that would be sitting in front of Best Buy's parking lot. Bob's Big Boy, (first use), now Denny's, was south of and next to the/a Sunoco gas station that was in front of the drive in movies. The original use of the building where there used to be a bagel place, was a Burger Chef. Red Hot an Blue building was first a Rustlers Steak House. Directly across 301 was in the other shopping center was a Western Steer. Also across 301 at the north end of that center was Chesapeake Seafood House where you could order blue crabs, shrimp etc.. In the old Waldorf Shopping center inside the People's Drug Store, (next to the A&P), was a diner where you could get breakfast lunch and dinner. Also in the center, between the Giant and A&P, was a carnival every year in that empty field. McDonalds was the first major chain fast food joint in Waldorf when it opened on 301 north.

The original stores in Shopper's World were a Peebles, a Dart Drug, Radio Shack, Movie Theater, a drive up window liquor store, a bird/pet store and others I fail to remember. The original Waldorf, (the first), movie theater, (the original building still stands), was at the corner of Rt 5 and 925, then was a High's Dairy Store for the longest time, (now a Spanish food store), and next to the Highs was Accokeek Sports where you could buy guns. In the back ally was the laundromat and a pizza joint. Across the street was the barber shop and a Ben Franklin Five and Dime, (today's version of a dollar store I reckon). Curly's Duck Pin Bowling was a cool place to take a date back then. The old gas station on Rt 5 north past Post Office Rd was Halloran's Sunoco, and just before that on the right was Choo Choo's, (Topless), Lounge, and before that the Waldorf Roller Skating Rink. Further north, before the train tracks was Friendly's Tavern, a local watering hole. At one time there was only one bridge into St. Charles. After going over into St Charles, the road split with two lanes going in down the hill, and on the other side two lanes merging into one to cross the bridge. The St. Charles Sportsman Club was on the partial swamp land where the mall now sits. The Holiday Inn was the first national hotel to open in Waldorf.

The Stardust Inn, after slots were outlawed, became a band concert venue, then a bowling alley.

Reactions: TPD

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I worked for the revival of Burger Chef back in my western Mass. hometown in 78 and 79.

I got the malt syrup for my first few batches of beer in 74 and 75 in the A&P baking supplies section.

mitzi

If I may ...

Po Folks was on the south side of a motel that would be sitting in front of Best Buy's parking lot. Bob's Big Boy, (first use), now Denny's, was south of and next to the/a Sunoco gas station that was in front of the drive in movies. The original use of the building where there used to be a bagel place, was a Burger Chef. Red Hot an Blue building was first a Rustlers Steak House. Directly across 301 was in the other shopping center was a Western Steer. Also across 301 at the north end of that center was Chesapeake Seafood House where you could order blue crabs, shrimp etc.. In the old Waldorf Shopping center inside the People's Drug Store, (next to the A&P), was a diner where you could get breakfast lunch and dinner. Also in the center, between the Giant and A&P, was a carnival every year in that empty field. McDonalds was the first major chain fast food joint in Waldorf when it opened on 301 north.

The original stores in Shopper's World were a Peebles, a Dart Drug, Radio Shack, Movie Theater, a drive up window liquor store, a bird/pet store and others I fail to remember. The original Waldorf, (the first), movie theater, (the original building still stands), was at the corner of Rt 5 and 925, then was a High's Dairy Store for the longest time, (now a Spanish food store), and next to the Highs was Accokeek Sports where you could buy guns. In the back ally was the laundromat and a pizza joint. Across the street was the barber shop and a Ben Franklin Five and Dime, (today's version of a dollar store I reckon). Curly's Duck Pin Bowling was a cool place to take a date back then. The old gas station on Rt 5 north past Post Office Rd was Halloran's Sunoco, and just before that on the right was Choo Choo's, (Topless), Lounge, and before that the Waldorf Roller Skating Rink. Further north, before the train tracks was Friendly's Tavern, a local watering hole. At one time there was only one bridge into St. Charles. After going over into St Charles, the road split with two lanes going in down the hill, and on the other side two lanes merging into one to cross the bridge. The St. Charles Sportsman Club was on the partial swamp land where the mall now sits. The Holiday Inn was the first national hotel to open in Waldorf.

The Stardust Inn, after slots were outlawed, became a band concert venue, then a bowling alley.

Rt 5 and 925 Gold Mine Saloon is still there (mostly Hispanics go there now). The Barber shop was owned by Link Wray's brother. There a clothing store there also that's survived there from the 80s, called TNT Fashions or something like that.
There was also a Hardee's around where the KMart shopping center was. Maybe over on the side where Service Merchandise was. Things have changed so much around there now, it's hard to place where things were.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Do you remember Scandals?
Yup. It was tucked in the corner of a strip mall just south and across the street from the big mall. Also there was a restaurant in the Holiday Inn called the Maryland Way Restaurant when it opened.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Anyone else remember cruising the parking lot of (was it called Shopper's World?) on the weekends? Same center where the movie theater was and the restaurant of a dozen names.
Many, many, many a weekend. Start at one end and go to the other then a u-turn and repeat for the entire night. I believe that was our generation's 50's moment, absent the drive-in diner, food-brought-to-your-car-by-cuties-on-roller-skates, hang out.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Interesting...that's what the restaurant in the Solomons Holiday Inn was called when it originally opened.
I think, (don't hold me to it), it was called the same. Scott Adams of the Frying Pan used to run that restaurant at one time for a while.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

I think, (don't hold me to it), it was called the same. Scott Adams of the Frying Pan used to run that restaurant at one time for a while.
Back when the Sololoms HI first opened, we went there with clients and just for a dinner out because it was about the only decent game in town besides Lenny's , the Roost, or the Belvedere.