looking for tub/shower replacement contractor

wittykitty

Hi, ya'll! I need to replace the tub/shower surround in my bathroom and I'm looking for trusted professionals. Any recommendations? What was your experience?

I'm expecting to replace it with another fiberglass surround. I'm open to the idea of a walk-in tile shower, but my first home had a tile shower. During my second shower in it, my arm went through the wall! I mean just like the Kool-Aid man. As it turns out ,there was underlying water damage which we had no idea of, but that's another subject. Bottom line, the tile shower was done over drywall. That doesn't seem like ideal materials for a shower, but I'm not the professional! Any insights?!

Chris0nllyn

I've always done my own, so I can't offer a recommendation on a contractor.

Tile showers should have a concrete board the tiles are adhered to (typically Durock, or Schluter Kerdi-board). If using concrete, they should use a paintable waterpfoofing membrane and taping each seam to prevent water from entering the concrete board/wall. Screw holes, corners, and all seams should be taped and waterproofed.

glhs837

Power with Control
I did the rough and some of the tile for our tub to walk in conversion. I used Kerdi membrane and I was super happy with the result. It's been in use now for about six months and we love it. I was not super happy with the guys we hired to do the tile so I cant recommend them. It's done and I think I can make the grout up to my standards, but that's down the road. WE also used a cast iron shower base which will be bullet proof after the house falls down around it 200 years from now. It's the second floor and I wanted to take no chances with a fiberglass or mud shower pan, where if your house frame has any flex it can crack down the road. Also used the Kohler levity sliding glass door, it's awesome, feels like a million bucks.

PeoplesElbow

I did the rough and some of the tile for our tub to walk in conversion. I used Kerdi membrane and I was super happy with the result. It's been in use now for about six months and we love it. I was not super happy with the guys we hired to do the tile so I cant recommend them. It's done and I think I can make the grout up to my standards, but that's down the road. WE also used a cast iron shower base which will be bullet proof after the house falls down around it 200 years from now. It's the second floor and I wanted to take no chances with a fiberglass or mud shower pan, where if your house frame has any flex it can crack down the road. Also used the Kohler levity sliding glass door, it's awesome, feels like a million bucks.

Not worried about the cast iron rusting like the old toilet flanges do?

Those doors are very nice looking. How is cleaning with that door? Some of those things look like a pain to c lean in the tracks etc properly.

glhs837

Power with Control
Not worried about the cast iron rusting like the old toilet flanges do?

Those doors are very nice looking. How is cleaning with that door? Some of those things look like a pain to c lean in the tracks etc properly.

Not really, given it's a Kohler and has a lifetime warranty against chipping or cracking, not really. The enamel finishes have come a long way. These doors have no tracks like you think of, they hang from the top rail. Feel like a million bucks.

glhs837

Power with Control