Looking to sharpen a hand saw

PeoplesElbow

I know its a long shot but has anyone here ever had handsaws sharpened and set?

I got a hold of two fairly nice Diston handsaws, a little rusty and somewhat dull but otherwise in good condition, one even has a nice rosewood handle.

I would like someone who knows what they are doing to properly set them, anyone know anyone in the area that does that sort of work?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
There was a fella up by Loveville that could sharpen anything very well. My poor old brain isn't remembering the name though...

black dog

Free America
Sounds like a question for black dog.
Thats too funny, There was a guy in Mechanicsville that could sharpen most blades but his shop burned down a few years back. I know he sharpened the band saw blades for the local saw mills. I would call Brian at the Mechanicsville Three Mules and ask him. If a Yoder is doing it, he will know.
who it is and where the shop is.

PeoplesElbow

This is way more response that I had ever hoped for, thank you all.

I figured this would just sit and nobody would reply.

That sounds familiar. I had asked at Milts who sharpened 7" skillsaw blades. Pretty sure he said Jacobs.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I know its a long shot but has anyone here ever had handsaws sharpened and set? I got a hold of two fairly nice Diston handsaws, a little rusty and somewhat dull but otherwise in good condition, one even has a nice rosewood handle. I would like someone who knows what they are doing to properly set them, anyone know anyone in the area that does that sort of work?
Stop by Lowes and pick yourself up a good flat bastard file and get busy. Do it yourself. Learn how to do it yourself. Setup the saw in a vise and go over each tooth following the cut of each tooth. It's not hard, just repetitive.

Popster

Check out Paul Sellers on uTube. I have had many sharpened at Dyson Lumber in Great Mills in the past. 301 994 0440

limblips

PREMO Member
If I may ...

Stop by Lowes and pick yourself up a good flat bastard file and get busy. Do it yourself. Learn how to do it yourself. Setup the saw in a vise and go over each tooth following the cut of each tooth. It's not hard, just repetitive.
The sharpening is only half the deal. To cut properly the saw needs to be set. Setting a saw correctly is akin to voodoo and requires a shaman, chicken bones, and strange chants.

PeoplesElbow

If I may ...

Bastard file is way to rough for sharpening a saw.

I know enough that I don't have the skill to do a good job sharpening a crosscut saw.

It takes real skill to sharpen a knife properly, a handsaw even more skill.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
It takes real skill to sharpen a knife properly, a handsaw even more skill.

I have never done that, but I would think it wouldn't be too difficult with the right file. Put it in a vise and just file away. I know what a pleasure it is to use sharp tools. I'm sure you can get it sharper than what it is right now. You don't need to put a surgical edge on it, just get it more or less as sharp as when it was new.