Looks like it's inevitable at this point

glhs837

Power with Control
Lots of careful wordsmithing in this thing. Are these accidents and crashes actually happening in the school zones? I don't think they make that clear do they and there's a reason for that.

• Angry
Reactions: TPD

glhs837

Power with Control
Ah, just as I thought. They want them on the high traffic road, 235. But here's the thing. Out of those 60 miles, how many miles are also actually connected to a school driveway? And how many of the KSI accidents happen in those stretches? Park Hall, and Mechanicsville, Elementary.

All the other schools are within a 1/2 mile, sure, but the law as written says

*Except in unusual circumstances and as justified by a traffic engineering study, a school zone adjacent to a school should not exceed 500 feet approaching or beyond the school or the school activity. Where that activity is a school crossing only, the school zone typically should end a short distance beyond the crossing.

Are all roads within a one-half mile radius of a school considered to be in a “School Zone?”​

No. The Maryland Annotated Code (TR § 21-803.1) allows School Zones to be established within a one-half mile radius of any school. However, this does not mean that all roadways within a one-half mile radius should be a school zone. The Maryland Department of Transportation State Highway Administration (MDOT SHA) or the local authority having jurisdiction over the roadway must officially establish a School Zone and designate it with the appropriate signs before it becomes a School Zone. Refer to “What is a School Zone?” above.

So whats happening here is that in the Search For Revenue, we are going to place these things where they make the most money. And if you try to argue the point, you hate children and want them to die. Of course, the amount of crashes in actual schools zones are virtually non-existent and related to failure to yield, not speed. But there's gold in them thar school zones!!!!!

Play with the map. When you zoom in on a school, see how many a)have a driveway on 235, and or b) are within 500 feet of 235. For reference, a half mile is about 2,600 feet. or four times the distance that the state calls out as being relevant

glhs837

Power with Control
An one last piece. All places with camera systems are required to submit a report to the state annually detailing the financials of the system.

You can download and scan the overall report to see who has how many cameras, how much is spent generated and what they spend the revenue on. Below is Calverts. You can see why these things are so damn attractive. An extra almost 400K right to the Sheriffs office is a pretty sweet inducement. And not one damn penny towards traffic safety. Hmmmmmmm.

6. CALVERT COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
DESCRIPTION OF TYPE OF SPEED MONITORING SYSTEM [SMS] USED: Model/serial numbers are listed in the body of the report.

TOTAL # of SYSTEMS [CAMERAS] in speed monitoring system program. 5

TOTAL # of Speed Monitoring System Citations issued in FISCAL YEAR. 17,518

EXPENDITURES INCURRED by the program. $331,173.45

GROSS REVENUE generated by speed monitoring program. $724,792.00

NET REVENUE GENERATED by the program. $393,618.55

TOTAL AMOUNT OF ANY PAYMENTS TO CONTRACTOR under the program. $212,652.00

NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES OF LOCAL JURISDICTION involved in program. 7

TOTAL "ERRONEOUS" CITATIONS REPORTED. 3

DESCRIPTION OF HOW NET REVENUE WAS USED: Body worn camera equipment, licenses, maintenance and storage fees to outfit patrol/field operation deputies with cameras. Taser equipment, equipment for unmanned Ariel Vehicle Program. Personnel to review and prepare footage for court and public information requests related to body cameras and in car cameras. Safeware riot gear. Expenses related to Bearcat Armored Personnel Carrier. Mobile Data fees.

stgislander

PREMO Member
An one last piece. All places with camera systems are required to submit a report to the state annually detailing the financials of the system.

You can download and scan the overall report to see who has how many cameras, how much is spent generated and what they spend the revenue on. Below is Calverts. You can see why these things are so damn attractive. An extra almost 400K right to the Sheriffs office is a pretty sweet inducement. And not one damn penny towards traffic safety. Hmmmmmmm.

6. CALVERT COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
DESCRIPTION OF TYPE OF SPEED MONITORING SYSTEM [SMS] USED: Model/serial numbers are listed in the body of the report.

TOTAL # of SYSTEMS [CAMERAS] in speed monitoring system program. 5

TOTAL # of Speed Monitoring System Citations issued in FISCAL YEAR. 17,518

EXPENDITURES INCURRED by the program. $331,173.45

GROSS REVENUE generated by speed monitoring program. $724,792.00

NET REVENUE GENERATED by the program. $393,618.55

TOTAL AMOUNT OF ANY PAYMENTS TO CONTRACTOR under the program. $212,652.00

NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES OF LOCAL JURISDICTION involved in program. 7

TOTAL "ERRONEOUS" CITATIONS REPORTED. 3

DESCRIPTION OF HOW NET REVENUE WAS USED: Body worn camera equipment, licenses, maintenance and storage fees to outfit patrol/field operation deputies with cameras. Taser equipment, equipment for unmanned Ariel Vehicle Program. Personnel to review and prepare footage for court and public information requests related to body cameras and in car cameras. Safeware riot gear. Expenses related to Bearcat Armored Personnel Carrier. Mobile Data fees.
Why do you hate the police?

:ducksandruns:

glhs837

Power with Control
Why do you hate the police?

:ducksandruns:

Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson

Clem72

You can see why these things are so damn attractive. An extra almost 400K right to the Sheriffs office is a pretty sweet inducement. And not one damn penny towards traffic safety. Hmmmmmmm.

Are you telling me an armored personnel carrier, riot gear, UAVs and tasers isn't related to traffic safety? Have you even seen the local documentary Death Race 2000?

glhs837

Power with Control
Are you telling me an armored personnel carrier, riot gear, UAVs and tasers isn't related to traffic safety? Have you even seen the local documentary Death Race 2000?

Thats right, I forgot..... Found footage of SGI leaving the Island with Gil

Tom Hardy Doof Warrior GIF

OccamsRazor

Why don't they take the data from historical speeding citations, red light running citations, and accident data and then decide based on that evidence where to put the cameras? I agree the basic "School Zone" theory is false but, I also believe that there should be tools implemented to stop the traffic issues based on evidence.

glhs837

Power with Control
Why don't they take the data from historical speeding citations, red light running citations, and accident data and then decide based on that evidence where to put the cameras? I agree the basic "School Zone" theory is false but, I also believe that there should be tools implemented to stop the traffic issues based on evidence.
Now see that assumes that the purpose of these things is to make people safer. The reality of these things are their point is to make money. There's no theory that says school zones have more speeders and there's more danger in them. The reason school zones are the chosen places is that that allows you to use the "oh my God. You just want children to die" when people oppose them. That's the same reason. It's a low fine of only $40. If the fine was high people would fight against them more. And that's why there's no insurance reporting. Having points on the license would make people mad. Mad people fight. The parasite that causes pain gets scraped off the parasite that numbs the attachment point gets to stick around a while

OccamsRazor

Now see that assumes that the purpose of these things is to make people safer. The reality of these things are their point is to make money. There's no theory that says school zones have more speeders and there's more danger in them. The reason school zones are the chosen places is that that allows you to use the "oh my God. You just want children to die" when people oppose them. That's the same reason. It's a low fine of only $40. If the fine was high people would fight against them more. And that's why there's no insurance reporting. Having points on the license would make people mad. Mad people fight. The parasite that causes pain gets scraped off the parasite that numbs the attachment point gets to stick around a while
Hence my post above.....
When the decisions are based on evidence and not "for the kids" then it makes more sense.
"Look at this evidence we have of people getting in wrecks due to running the red light at XXX intersection. We need a red light camera HERE."

glhs837

Power with Control
What's funny is I just passed a trooper sitting near the bottom of the hill near Park Hall elementary positioned to get them at the bottom of the hill coming down past the school. I've lived here for 12 years and I've never seen a police officer sitting in that location before. How much you want to bet this is to gather the oh my God people are speeding in the school zone Data. But he's not actually measuring in the school zone. He's measuring at the bottom of the hill after the school zone cuz that will give higher numbers