"lost control of the vehicle..."

imaref

I've seen the term "lost control of the vehicle" in a ridiculous amount of local news articles the past few years. Am I the only one who has never lost control of their vehicle?

littlelady

God bless the USA
I've seen the term "lost control of the vehicle" in a ridiculous amount of local news articles the past few years. Am I the only one who has never lost control of their vehicle?

No. I was thinking about it too, lately, because of a recent report. I believe social media, as in texting and talking while driving has a lot to do with it. Mindless, and self absorbed drivers. Sad.

I have only been in one accident, and it wasn’t my fault. It happened in Mobile AL when I was going to work in 1975. There was a backup on an off ramp, and a guy rear ended me at 65 miles an hour. What a mess, and long recovery I had from that. I still suffer neck problems, today. And, I have never gotten a traffic ticket in my life. That will be on my tombstone. :)

Last edited:

imaref

Sorry that you still suffer problems from someone else's negligence. I've driven through horrific conditions (heavy snow, sleet, etc.) and just slowed down to about 5mph. But I keep reading these articles about single vehicle accidents on bright sunny days and it just boggles my mind.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Sorry that you still suffer problems from someone else's negligence. I've driven through horrific conditions (heavy snow, sleet, etc.) and just slowed down to about 5mph. But I keep reading these articles about single vehicle accidents on bright sunny days and it just boggles my mind.

Thank you. The funny thing is when the fire dept. was called, and police, and an ambulance because the guy busted my gas tank; they thought my guts were all over the car. It was my left over chili container for lunch that exploded all over the car. Have to find humor in everything to keep sane, but it is not funny about the distracted driving. Thanks for posting to make people aware. I, always, look as to how close oncoming drivers are to the dividing line, and ready to divert. There is nothing one can do to avoid being rear ended.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
I did once, back in 1987, fell asleep at the wheel after being awake for 28 hours, luckily is was in Utah, went off in a corner in the desert at maybe 60 or more, came to due to the noise and bumping, hammered throttle and swerved back onto the roadway. No harm or foul. But yes, I'm gonna guess that +90% of "lost control" is attributable to devices.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Only when I was a new driver. My dad told me to go pick up several friends and "learn" how to drive in the snow. After several times of losing control and having my buddies push me out of the ditch, I learned. Since then, I've never lost control contributing to the collision, but I have lost control after the initial impact worsening the outcome.
:yikes:

SamSpade

Does it count if you're driving normal speed on an icy road - have to make a stop and find yourself spinning out of control on the ice?

Ok, yeah, it's happened to me.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I was sporting along RT 70 in Ohio one blustery winter night. As I hit an overpass, suddenly found my vehicle swapping ends. Did a full 360 without ever leaving my lane.....drifted to a stop on the shoulder and gathered my wits. Turns out those icy bridge warning signs are serious.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Does it count if you're driving normal speed on an icy road - have to make a stop and find yourself spinning out of control on the ice?

That happened to me once. I also know someone who suffered a heart attack while driving.

I mean, yeah, most of the time it's someone dicking around or they're drunk, but true accidents do happen.

Auntie Biache'

I was sporting along RT 70 in Ohio one blustery winter night. As I hit an overpass, suddenly found my vehicle swapping ends. Did a full 360 without ever leaving my lane.....drifted to a stop on the shoulder and gathered my wits. Turns out those icy bridge warning signs are serious.

We did this in Iceland in a CJ7, but didn't stay in our lane, semi truck coming at us-truck, no traffic, truck, no traffic, truck, no traffic...thought we were goners, then the jeep slid of the road backwards, and we smashed into a boulder at the bottom of the hill, just missing the full gas container on the back. Once I recovered my wits, I realized I had failed to pick up the camera in my lap and start filming.

glhs837

Power with Control

Ok, yeah, it's happened to me.

That would be "too fast for conditions"

People driving too fast for their abilities/experience behind the wheel.

Except for the fact that speed is the main cause in very few accidents, like 3%. Most of it just poor driving/lack of attention, and I'm calling out lack of attenion specifically as a subset of poor driving. Some people engage in poor lane discipline not becuase they are not paying attention, but simply due to laziness. Same for rolling stops and a lot of failure to yield. They do see you coming, and just dont care that you need to slam on the brakes.

SamSpade

That happened to me once. I also know someone who suffered a heart attack while driving.

I mean, yeah, most of the time it's someone dicking around or they're drunk, but true accidents do happen.

To be honest, the worst it ever was, twice with a parent when I was a young driver, they screamed at me because they reacted to a dangerous situation - and I out and out panicked. Floored it, zoomed all over, jumped curbs, skidded with them screaming terrified in the front seat.

Both times, there was no damage to the vehicle - although a couple saplings were destroyed - but I did learn not to have them with me as often.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
To be honest, the worst it ever was, twice with a parent when I was a young driver, they screamed at me because they reacted to a dangerous situation - and I out and out panicked. Floored it, zoomed all over, jumped curbs, skidded with them screaming terrified in the front seat.

Did they assume Crash Positions?

9690747948_84fb7882f0_b.jpg

frequentflier

happy to be living
Lost control of a vehicle resulting in an accident or damage? No. But I did spin out a time or two in upstate NY on untouched snow covered roads (to get to my job to plow snow!)

glhs837

Power with Control

Both times, there was no damage to the vehicle - although a couple saplings were destroyed - but I did learn not to have them with me as often.

And thats why the wife left the teaching to me :) She recognized she was likely to do just that.

CPUSA

Had my license for maybe a month. Was coming home from work on a hot, humid afternoon and a summer storm popped up.
Tires were slightly bald & I began hydroplaning. Did a cpl 360s, went across the concrete median, came to rest on the chain link fence enclosing the base down by Mr. Cs