Lost hiker survived weeks in woods

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
She kept a journal and tried to send text messages. The search for her was the most expensive search in Maine history. Search dogs came within 100 yards of her several times. There was an author who had a theory that she was kidnapped by the Navy, Her body was found inside the Navy's SERE training facility property boundaries.

The story is both interesting and sad. Had 1 thing gone different she may have been found.

lost

lost II

glhs837

Power with Control
Having attended a week long Advanced SERE course there, I can see easily why searchers could be that close and not find her. Hell, we had the state prison bloodhound team close enough to us that we heard the handlers talking to each other and they missed us. As for the kidnapping/murder thing, that's BS brought up by the people who don't understand what happens there and who does what. Place is huge, there's no fence.

Bonehead

I managed to lose myself off the AT in Virginia, 8 long hot hours of being stupid. I went through all of the stages from Dammit, WTF, stop and think, panic, to running around in circles until I was exhausted. Finally found the ridge line and the trail 2 miles back was my pack. Not any fun. I can't imagine weeks.

Monello

PREMO Member
This is 1 of her journal entries. This puts a human aspect to this tragedy.

“When you find my body, please call my husband George and my daughter Kerry. It will be the greatest kindness for them to know that I am dead and where you found me — no matter how many years from now. Please find it in your heart to mail the contents of this bag to one of them.”

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is a real question, because I'm not a hiker:

How do you get lost just going off the trail briefly to pee? I would be very conscious of that trail and my lack of ability, and be very careful to stay right there and orient myself to be able to get back on the trail.

Bonehead, how did you get lost? Specifically?

Monello

PREMO Member
When I hiked I was always looking for the trail marking, which are painted white rectangles about head high, on trees. When ever I went a while and didn't see a marker, I'd backtrack to the last 1 I saw and would scan around for the trail. It's well worn but it does branch off many times.

I've never hiked in Maine and I can imagine that in July it's quite overgrown and vast.

glhs837

Power with Control
When I hiked I was always looking for the trail marking, which are painted white rectangles about head high, on trees. When ever I went a while and didn't see a marker, I'd backtrack to the last 1 I saw and would scan around for the trail. It's well worn but it does branch off many times.

I've never hiked in Maine and I can imagine that in July it's quite overgrown and vast.

Oh hell yeah. Very much so. Spent three days navigating around up there. First day, the reason the dogs couldn't pin us down is that the LT and I made like 5 passes across that ridge trying to orient ourselves, we laid down so much scent the dogs couldn't localize us. Spend even four to five minutes going the wrong direction, and you could be screwed.

Chris0nllyn

I know someone hiking the AT right now. God speed.

Hell, I know guys that have gotten lost on their own property. :lol:

Monello

PREMO Member
There is a device called a Spot Tracker. Price is around $150. It pinpoints your GPS coordinates and sends the signal to predetermined recipients and rescue coordination centers. This lady had 1 but chose not to take it. WOW.

4,000 people have been found using a spot tracker.

spot tracker

Larry Gude

Strung Out

...and very buggy, with lots and lots of bugs that will bug the living hell out of you and make you insane and miss trail markers.

And die. So the ones that like you cold can eat, too.

glhs837

Power with Control
There is a device called a Spot Tracker. Price is around $150. It pinpoints your GPS coordinates and sends the signal to predetermined recipients and rescue coordination centers. This lady had 1 but chose not to take it. WOW.

4,000 people have been found using a spot tracker.

spot tracker

Wow, indeed. I didn't know that. I planned on borrowing one or buying one for a simple ride down the Skyline Parkway, no damn way would I hike rugged terrain alone without one.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Wow, indeed. I didn't know that. I planned on borrowing one or buying one for a simple ride down the Skyline Parkway, no damn way would I hike rugged terrain alone without one.

Buddy of mine used something similar on a long bike ride. We could watch him move. Or, a dot on the screen anyway.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I've read several of the Missing 411 books, I think there are 5 now, http://www.amazon.com/Missing-411-W...F8&qid=1464289087&sr=8-1&keywords=missing+411 . Another good read is Death in Yosemite, and Death in Grand Canyon by Michael P. Ghiglieri. Strange things are happening, regarding people going missing, and it's being covered up. Yeah, I know, conspiracy and all the BS. But, why do we so rarely hear about it, when it's happening all the time? National Parks do not keep records of people who go missing in the parks, and there has been some very strange behavior surrounding their SAR's.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Having attended a week long Advanced SERE course there, I can see easily why searchers could be that close and not find her. Hell, we had the state prison bloodhound team close enough to us that we heard the handlers talking to each other and they missed us. As for the kidnapping/murder thing, that's BS brought up by the people who don't understand what happens there and who does what. Place is huge, there's no fence.

question.... so you stated that there was a bloodhound team close to you. Who or what were they looking for?

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
She kept a journal and tried to send text messages. The search for her was the most expensive search in Maine history. Search dogs came within 100 yards of her several times. There was an author who had a theory that she was kidnapped by the Navy, Her body was found inside the Navy's SERE training facility property boundaries.

The story is both interesting and sad. Had 1 thing gone different she may have been found.

lost

lost II

I have not looked at the links but as a certified Search Manager there could be many factors why the dog did not reach her. Poor planning and searching by hander, weather conditions, how the area was gridded out and how many times did they search the area.

lovinmaryland

I have not looked at the links but as a certified Search Manager there could be many factors why the dog did not reach her. Poor planning and searching by hander, weather conditions, how the area was gridded out and how many times did they search the area.

I read the article and it mentioned the day she left and after it had rained so they thought that had something to do w/ them not finding her scent.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I read the article and it mentioned the day she left and after it had rained so they thought that had something to do w/ them not finding her scent.

that doesn't matter.... Air scent dogs would have been the key factor in this search as they are trained to search and locate "any" human scent. they are not scent specific like tracking/trailing dogs. Air scent dogs work on their own as their handler (and other searchers) guide the dog thru the woods. The hander/searchers are (should) be given a specific area to search. The handler should take note of they type of terrain and weather conditions as they play a very large part in what is going on with the scent. So the handler will either run their dog along the ridge line or down in the valley in such a way the dog should pick up the human scent.

Air scent dog teams can search large wooded areas with a better result than a scent specific dog.

glhs837

Power with Control
question.... so you stated that there was a bloodhound team close to you. Who or what were they looking for?

They were looking for us. It was Advanced Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape. Although it really focused on evasion with a side of survival. They didn't track us the whole time. First day, after arrival, we did a covert river crossing (damn mountain streams are COLD when your clothes are in a bag on your head) that they used to dogs for to demonstrate how water affects a scent trail. Second day we had an hour head start and the team came after us, had two hours to find us. Then after that debrief they went back to the wherever they came from. then it was two more days straight evasion against the instructors who were playing enemy forces while others playing partisans who wanted to help but were not wanting to risk direct contact left us dead drops with snacks and directions to avoid the enemy.

They made it quite clear you can never really lose the dogs, especially bloodhound types. What you hope to do is gain an lead and increase or hold til you get help. And it helps that most militaries don't use that sort of dog regularly, so if they bring other breeds more common to military usage, your chances of losing them is increased.

PeoplesElbow

I would like to think that I would be able to find my way back to the trail. I always carry a knife, first thing I did after pitching my tent is go off in one direction while marking the trees and go back after a few hours.