Lost Items- From a Free cycler...

sunflower

Loving My Life...
Awhile back a friend suggested that it was a good idea to put important jewelry in a place other than your jewelry box in case of burglary. They also suggested that the pocket of a piece of clothing in your closet was a good choice of locations for hiding this jewelry. Trying to protect my most precious (and sentimental) items, I put three pieces in the pocket of a dress in my closet. I retrieved these items as needed for wearing and returned them to the hiding place when I was done. Last summer, I decided to go through my entire closet and get rid of clothing that I wasn't wearing anymore. I free cycled two black trash bags full of clothing at the end of September. This past May I was packing for a trip to the beach and was looking for my charm bracelet to take with me. I couldn't find it in my jewelry box and wondered where it might be. Sometime during the packing process it occurred to me that I remembered putting it in the dress in my closet. I went to look for it and realized that I had gotten rid of the dress last summer when cleaning. I was devastated, but had hope that it might be found either from the family who I gave the clothes to. First, I posted on the freecycle yahoo group inquiring to find the family who had picked up the clothing. After no response, I looked through deleted emails and found the family. I contacted them directly, but they had given away the clothing they hadn't needed to Smile, Inc. in Lusby. I called Smile and although they remembered the jewelry coming through the store, it had been long sold. I am in search of the purchasers of these items who purchased them from Smile sometime last fall.

The three items are:

antique diamond ring - my grandmother' s
pearl necklace - bought by my husband
gold charm bracelet - with approximately 20 charms collected over 18 years of marriage from around the world
(charms to include: camel, frog, lizard, alligator, Seattle spindle, crab, lobster trap w/ lobster inside, trolley car, fraternity and sorority Greek letters, dolphin, and many others)

Any help in returning these irreplaceable and sentimental items would be so appreciated. Please pass along to your friends in the county.

Blessings to you all -

#####

flyingdog

So very sorry.

Could Smile help perhaps find the purchasers through sales records, presuming they didn't pay cash?

How awful, I am so sorry this happened to you!

flyingdog

Perhaps, but if they contacted the buyer themselves and explained the situation, the buyer might be willing to get in touch with the poster.

flyingdog

At the very least you should be able to get a receipt from Smile for your 'donations' and take it as a tax deduction. I know that is not the outcome hoped for. They would probably just give you a blank receipt and you would fill in the items and their values. So very sorry. I am a little surprised they weren't so thankful for the 'donations' that they didn't contact you to say thanks, given their value, but perhaps they didn't realize their true value at the time.

sunflower

Loving My Life...
At the very least you should be able to get a receipt from Smile for your 'donations' and take it as a tax deduction. I know that is not the outcome hoped for. They would probably just give you a blank receipt and you would fill in the items and their values. So very sorry. I am a little surprised they weren't so thankful for the 'donations' that they didn't contact you to say thanks, given their value, but perhaps they didn't realize their true value at the time.

It's not me but she donated the clothes to someone and then they donated what they didn't want to SMILE.... Pretty sure SMILE didn't know the value of the items.. I wish her luck...

flyingdog

It's not me but she donated the clothes to someone and then they donated what they didn't want to SMILE.... Pretty sure SMILE didn't know the value of the items.. I wish her luck...

Smile wouldn't assign value anyhow, she would. I would still claim them as a donation to Smile (since that was the end result). The in-between person was essentially just a transporter of the goods. I am guessing Smile gives out blank receipts and she would just fill in what was donated. The deduction is really between her and the gov't, so Smile was simply the recipient.

My hope is she is able to get the items back...