Loud buzzing sound on phones

luvscats

There is a loud buzzing noise on my phones. I have two phones upstairs and two downstairs. Three are wireless with charging stations and one is a landline. all four phones have this noise. Got any idea what's causing this??? thank you. :):frown:

C

Chuckt

I use to live next to an antenna farm and we would get the radio station over our phones and there was a French station that use to overpower our phones on some days. You could put filters on your lines but there was nothing you could do about it.

You are basically getting RF interference in my opinion.

I also know of people who have lost their electronics do to a "middle earth" phenomenon where the signals / electricity follows a path through the earth.

hitchicken

I'm assuming you do not have DSL on your phone line. Also assuming your wireless phones are more commonly known as cordless phones.

Go outside and find the box where your land line comes in. Open the box. Disconnect the line going into your house and plug the landline phone into that jack. If you hear the buzzing, contact the phone company. (You might try a 2nd landline phone if 1 is available.) You can't fix it. The problem is not in your house. If you don't hear the buzz, the problem is in your house, continue...

Plug the line going into the house back into the jack. Go through the house and disconnect line at the main base station that feeds the cordless phones. Check the landline phone for the buzz. If not there, it's the cordless phones. If it is, plug the cordless phone base back in and disconnect the landline phone and check one of the cordless phones. If not there, it's the landline phone. If it is, I officially give up.

Last edited:

luvscats

I'm assuming you do not have DSL on your phone line. Also assuming your wireless phones are more commonly known as cordless phones.

Go outside and find the box where your land line comes in. Open the box. Disconnect the line going into your house and plug the landline phone into that jack. If you hear the buzzing, contact the phone company. (You might try a 2nd landline phone if 1 is available.) You can't fix it. The problem is not in your house. If you don't hear the buzz, the problem is in your house, continue...

Plug the line going into the house back into the jack. Go through the house and disconnect line at the main base station that feeds the cordless phones. Check the landline phone for the buzz. If not there, it's the cordless phones. If it is, plug the cordless phone base back in and disconnect the landline phone and check one of the cordless phones. If not there, it's the landline phone. If it is, I officially give up.

thank you ever so much. Just what I was looking for. Will do this this afternoon. :cartwheel

luvscats

I use to live next to an antenna farm and we would get the radio station over our phones and there was a French station that use to overpower our phones on some days. You could put filters on your lines but there was nothing you could do about it. You are basically getting RF interference in my opinion. I also know of people who have lost their electronics do to a "middle earth" phenomenon where the signals / electricity follows a path through the earth.

Hi...thank you for the info. I'm going to check my phone lines like hitchicken recommends. I do hope the problem isn't radio station interference and isn't fixable. Keep your fingers crossed that I can run a few checks and remedy the problem myself. :)

C

Chuckt

If you hear the buzzing, contact the phone company. (You might try a 2nd landline phone if 1 is available.) You can't fix it. The problem is not in your house. If you don't hear the buzz, the problem is in your house, continue...

According to the FCC, devices are supposed to accept interference and it is printed on most devices.

We had this problem before and the phone company said they already had filters on our phone lines and wouldn't do anything.

Blister

This thread made me think about the Verizon service truck I saw yesterday. How many people still have landlines? The phone co. was a good job with good benefits for generations. How much longer til they are all gone? Then the cable companies came along, thousands of jobs that might soon go away. The Post Office? How long til it dries up? What the hell are the next couple of generations going to do for work?

littlelady

God bless the USA
This thread made me think about the Verizon service truck I saw yesterday. How many people still have landlines? The phone co. was a good job with good benefits for generations. How much longer til they are all gone? Then the cable companies came along, thousands of jobs that might soon go away. The Post Office? How long til it dries up? What the hell are the next couple of generations going to do for work?

Those are some really good questions. Hub and I were talking about that very subject the other day.

Topic: Hub works out of the house. His biz phone is through Verizon and has to call them cuz of static often after really bad weather. As far as a land line, we still have one cuz we get such bad cell reception in the woods; but the landline is thru Comcast, so when power goes out, or Comcast is down, we lose it, too.

C

Chuckt

We were hit by an ice storm and that good old Verizon battery died after eight hours so I charged it with my generator.
Cell phones weren't working in a lot of places because authorities turned a switch and made the cell towers for emergencies only.
We were out of power for three days and some were out of power longer.
I'm ready to get Ham radio or something for emergencies.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I grew up in NOLA. It was nothing to be without power after a hurricane, or whatever for 2 or 3 weeks at a time. I am used to it.

Off topic. I love my next door neighbors that had a daughter the same age as ours when we moved here in 1998; my daughter's best friend, and still is. The reason I am posting this is because they went to the Shenandoah last week and purposely chose a cabin to rent with no elec or water with an outhouse. Roughing it! It is a good idea to, at least, experience it. One never knows what can happen.

C

Chuckt

The temperature dropped ten degrees per day in people's houses. You literally could get frostbite in your own home. We left and went where there was power. I remember coming home at night to check on the house and there was no light but there was an eerie sound of generators humming in the background. I flushed the toilet and I believe I heard ice. I bought powerful space heaters for emergencies only as a result of the ice storm and sometime in the future, I will have a qualified electrician put in a transfer switch for our generator to power the house.

There were a lot of people who said they couldn't get warm.