Low carb bread

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I have been buying Schmidt's Old Tyme 647 bread for a few months. Never had a problem with it, but found out it has a short shelf life, especially now that the weather has warmed and it is more humid.

Bought a loaf last Thursday night from Giant, opened the package Friday morning to remove two slices, resealed it, stored it in the cupboard, and didn't touch it again until Sunday morning. Took two slices out and saw they were moldy, then looked at the rest of the package and all of it was completely moldy.

Lesson learned: store it either in the fridge or freezer. I did take it back to Giant and they refunded my money and gave me a new loaf.

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

"They say" storing it in the fridge changes the texture and let it go stale much faster. I find it may dry out a tad, but I always keep bread in the fridge.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Someone I used to know got me to try it in another life.

I don't even like bread but my experience with it was poor. I'm reminded of John Pinettes take on it....

John Pinette:
"And I tried the low-carb bread. Have you tried it? It's horrible. I tasted it. I thought the wrapper was still on. It's not like it went bad, it never went good. They have "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter," they should call it, "This Ain't Bread." 'Cause it looks like bread, but it has no other properties of bread. I said, "You know what? I'll butter it. That'll make it better." Butter won't go on it. It slides right off. The butter's like, "Where are you putting me?" Jam and jelly beads up and fall off it. Did they Scotch-guard this at the factory? You know what I'll do? It's okay, I'll toast it. I'll make a sandwich, I'll toast it. It's better when you toast it. It doesn't toast. You can't toast it. I'm out in the garage with a blow torch. It's absorbing the heat like a space shuttle tile. "

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
"They say" storing it in the fridge changes the texture and let it go stale much faster. I find it may dry out a tad, but I always keep bread in the fridge.
I heard the same thing so stopped storing it in the fridge and put it in a dark cupboard. I pretty much only use it for toast so being a bit dry doesn't bother me.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Someone I used to know got me to try it in another life.

I don't even like bread but my experience with it was poor. I'm reminded of John Pinettes take on it....

John Pinette:
"And I tried the low-carb bread. Have you tried it? It's horrible. I tasted it. I thought the wrapper was still on. It's not like it went bad, it never went good. They have "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter," they should call it, "This Ain't Bread." 'Cause it looks like bread, but it has no other properties of bread. I said, "You know what? I'll butter it. That'll make it better." Butter won't go on it. It slides right off. The butter's like, "Where are you putting me?" Jam and jelly beads up and fall off it. Did they Scotch-guard this at the factory? You know what I'll do? It's okay, I'll toast it. I'll make a sandwich, I'll toast it. It's better when you toast it. It doesn't toast. You can't toast it. I'm out in the garage with a blow torch. It's absorbing the heat like a space shuttle tile. "

Ranks right up there with quinoa, right? :lmao:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I have been buying Schmidt's Old Tyme 647 bread for a few months. Never had a problem with but found out it has a short shelf life, especially now that the weather has warmed and it is more humid.

Bought a loaf last Thursday night from Giant, opened the package Friday morning to remove two slices, resealed it, stored it in the cupboard, and didn't touch it again until Sunday morning. Took two slices out and saw they were moldy, then looked at the rest of the package and all of it was completely moldy.

Lesson learned: store it either in the fridge or freezer. I did take it back to Giant and they refunded my money and gave me a new loaf.
I was always told to check the color of the tag as to how fresh the bread is. Colors go in alphabetical order to help you remember.

the plastic tags or metal ties that are piling up next to your paper clip collection tell you which day of the week bread was baked on. The codes are as follows: Monday – blue, Tuesday – green, Thursday – red, Friday– white and Saturday – yellow. (We didn't forget about Wednesday and Sunday: Most sources refer to a five-day delivery schedule.)

I was always told to check the color of the tag as to how fresh the bread is. Colors go in alphabetical order to help you remember.
I used to check for that, but I go thru it fast enough that it didn't matter. Same with milk. I don't always look for the container with the latest 'sell by' date because I use it long before that.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
John Pinette:
"And I tried the low-carb bread. Have you tried it? It's horrible. I tasted it. I thought the wrapper was still on. It's not like it went bad, it never went good.

I immediately thought of this:

1. Bread adulterated with alum

When basic staples like bread started to be produced cheaply and in large quantities for the new city dwellers, Victorian manufacturers seized on the opportunity to maximise profit by switching ingredients for cheaper substitutes that would add weight and bulk. Bread was adulterated with plaster of Paris, bean flour, chalk or alum. Alum is an aluminium-based compound, today used in detergent, but then it was used to make bread desirably whiter and heavier. Not only did such adulteration lead to problems of malnutrition, but alum produced bowel problems and constipation or chronic diarrhoea, which was often fatal for children.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-25259505

the flour sellers cut the flour with Alum,
the bakers then Added Alum the flour in the bread recipes .... to make the bread 'whiter'

a loaf of bread could be 40% Alum

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
All this talk about bread and milk. I solved my problem for the week, I gave it to my neighbor yesterday since I'm leaving town again. :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

the plastic tags or metal ties that are piling up next to your paper clip collection tell you which day of the week bread was baked on. The codes are as follows: Monday – blue, Tuesday – green, Thursday – red, Friday– white and Saturday – yellow. (We didn't forget about Wednesday and Sunday: Most sources refer to a five-day delivery schedule.)
Thanks. I know I should, but never do. :lol:

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm liking Dave's Killer Bread thin sliced. Most of the varieties are fairly low in carbs with a terrific taste and texture. I keep in in the freezer and toast it because it takes me months to go through a whole loaf.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I'm liking Dave's Killer Bread thin sliced. Most of the varieties are fairly low in carbs with a terrific taste and texture. I keep in in the freezer and toast it because it takes me months to go through a whole loaf.
I love that stuff. We, too, take forever to go thru a loaf so I keep it in the freezer. Toast it up for a Sunday morning breakfast or on rare occassions, a real sandwich. Kids get their own bread...this good stuff is adults only :lol:

Bonehead

Dave's is good but for me Ezekiel 4:9 (sprouted grain flour) is better texture wise and can be had with 0 sodium. Stores stock it frozen. I pull out a couple slices at a time and defrost in the fridge.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Thanks. I'm going to try that and see if has a little more 'oomph' than the 647, which is pretty bland. I would gladly sacrifice using a few more carbs for tastier bread. :lol:

Dave's is good but for me Ezekiel 4:9 (sprouted grain flour) is better texture wise and can be had with 0 sodium. Stores stock it frozen. I pull out a couple slices at a time and defrost in the fridge.

I saw that in the freezer section at SFW and wondered how good it was. Thanks for the recommendation and will try that, too!