Low Carb Diet

PeoplesElbow

Anyone still live on a low carb diet? I used one to lose weight before, but now I am living low carb because it helps with blood sugar management.

I love biscuits, fried potatoes, rolls etc breakfast is my favorite meal.

I recently found alternatives for the fried potatoes, but never did much like the low carb biscuits and pancakes.

If you are living low carb, what are some of your favorite recipes?

This one is quite good for "fried taters" https://simplysohealthy.com/low-carb-homefries/

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I too eat fairly low carb. I could never do the alternatives route though. Some stuff, like swapping out rice for cauliflower rice, or mashed potatoes for pureed cauliflower...sure. But I found most of the time, the alternatives for things like bread or pizza crust or pancakes...the alternative will NEVER come close. I'd rather just eat proper and simple low-carb 90% of the time and pick a meal or two a week where I can have the real deal...whether that's the homefries or real pizza crust. I was just always too disappointed when I'd make those kinds of "alt" recipes :lol: that'd make me want to cheat more and more.

Sorry, not much help :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was just always too disappointed when I'd make those kinds of "alt" recipes :lol: that'd make me want to cheat more and more.

This is what happens to me, too. I find I do better if I just limit my food choices - pick 5 or 6 things I like to eat, and don't try to do cauliflower pizza and spaghetti squash lasagna. It's NOT the same, or even close, and it just makes me want the real thing.

Toxick

Splat
If you are living low carb, what are some of your favorite recipes?

My 2 favorite lo-carb meals.
On account'a the diabeetus.

----------------------------------------------------------

1) 12 oz sirloin steak
2) 1/2 lb. Fresh broccoli
3) 1 package Texas Toast

Grill steak about 3-4 minutes on each side. Let sit for 4 minutes.
Boil broccoli to desired tenderness.
Use Texas Toast Slices to knock squirrels out of nearby trees.

Serves 1.

----------------------------------------------------------

2 Jumbo eggs
1 loaf Rapa Scrapple
1 package Oscar Mayer Bacon
1 package Ore-Ida Hashbrowns.

Slice scrapple into 1/4-1/2 inch patties. Fry 5-10 minutes per side.
Fry bacon to desired crispness
Fry eggs to desired hardness
Throw hashbrowns in trash. Use the salt and pepper you would have used this, on your eggs and scrapple.

Serves 1.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
As mentioned above, smashed cauliflower makes a great alternative to mashed potatoes; spaghetti squash = spaghetti... I did recently see a commercial where Oprah has a new pizza out replacing some of the starch with cauliflower. I'm interested to see how that tastes. Unfortunately cauliflower has virtually no taste and needs lots of salt, which is okay for me (hypotensive), but not so good for others. I try to eat a low carb, reduced fat diet, but it doesn't always work. I like my Swedish Fish too much! I used to practice it religiously and maintained a nice ideal weight. Not so much now, loving too many carbs that I gave up for so long.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've been having a relationship with Wasa crackers lately. I spread them with pub cheese or top them with scrambled eggs for breakfast. Satisfying crunch with low net carbs.

:ohwell: I love my carbs. I've tried reducing and substituting, but it never lasts long. I'm not diabetic yet, but the signs are there, and family history.

And I'm craving French toast right now.

nobody really

I need a nap
I feel a lot better and have more energy when I go low carb/no carb. I have to stay away from the amish farmers market in charlotte hall. I bought some bread there last season and some tomatoes. I ate the whole loaf in one day. it was so warm and soft and sheer deliciousness.

PeoplesElbow

:ohwell: I love my carbs. I've tried reducing and substituting, but it never lasts long. I'm not diabetic yet, but the signs are there, and family history.

And I'm craving French toast right now.
French Toast with the low carb bread mentioned in one of the other threads works really good.

I usually eat mine with only butter, but some of the sugar free syrups are not bad at all.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I don't follow a low carb diet, but I made this last night and it was fantastic. It is a steak and cheese stuffed portobello mushroom cap. YUM!