Low cost Rabies Clinic tonight, Monday, July 11

joedancer

bookman
6:00 PM to 8:00 PM at the St Mary's County Fairgrounds. $10 per pet. See the somd calendar for more info.

thanks,
Joe

I have an outdoor cat whose 1 year rabies shot expires mid-August. I want get him his 3-yr shot... do I have to wait until Mid-August?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I have an outdoor cat whose 1 year rabies shot expires mid-August. I want get him his 3-yr shot... do I have to wait until Mid-August?
Three-year rabies shots can be bad for cats. Do some research and decide if that's what you really want.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Three-year rabies shots can be bad for cats. Do some research and decide if that's what you really want.

im on the fence about this...

why would you vac your cat every year then? they use the same vaccine for the 1yr vac as the do for the 3yr

(most vets just order the Rabies V3... this one you are able to give its first year and for the 3yr as well.

Its rare to find a vet that will carry the Rabies V1.... only good for a year. ... I bet 9 out of 10 times people who are getting the 1yr shot are getting the 3yr shot!) :shrug:

I only know 1 vet in the area that did have the yr shots :coffee:

Last edited:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
im on the fence about this...

why would you vac your cat every year then? they use the same vaccine for the 1yr vac as the do for the 3yr
Yes, but in triple quantities. It is not good for the cat's system and can be toxick/cause tumors.

rabbithead

The 3 year rabies vaccine and the 1 year rabies vaccine are exactly the same. I think what you are referring to is the Purevax rabies vaccine for cats. It is only good for 1 year. The reason it is safer than the "regular" rabies vaccine is that it causes less irritation in the tissues and little or no chance of a Vaccine Related Sarcoma (cancer) forming.

I don't think any of the low cost rabies clinics offer the Purevax vaccine for cats, as it is much more expensive. You would have to check with the organization sponsoring the clinic.

Last edited:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Well then, there is your answer... the 1-year is safe.

Im not being a smart arse... I work at a vet, have for MANY years and only letting other know a few facts. :shrug:

Just because its a 3yr shot doesnt mean they are getting "more" then a 1yr shot...... all shots given are 1cc ... and there are certain places EACH vaccine should be given now to keep track of reactions.

any vaccine can develop into a small mass... even on dogs. not all turn into cancer. They do monitor cats more than dogs but they have also come along way with the feline vaccines because of that reason. This is also why they have spit vaccines up and started to give them in specific areas.

Point is... if you really feel your pet doesnt need even the "yearly" shots... dont give them :yay: But Rabies is LAW :yay:
Many vets push shots on owners to make a quick buck.. That’s their money maker…. And vaccinating your pet yearly is really doing more harm than good! For dogs the only thing that should be done yearly is Lepto because its Titer only lasts maybe 6 months to a year. (but not all dogs need this) Just as not all dogs need to be vaccinated for Kennel cough or even Lyme.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
The 3 year rabies vaccine and the 1 year rabies vaccine are exactly the same. I think what you are referring to is the Purevax rabies vaccine for cats. It is only good for 1 year. The reason it is safer than the "regular" rabies vaccine is that it causes less irritation in the tissues and little or no chance of a Vaccine Related Sarcoma (cancer) forming.

I don't think any of the low cost rabies clinics offer the Purevax vaccine for cats, as it is much more expensive. You would have to check with the organization sponsoring the clinic.

:yay:... I couldnt remember the name of the vaccine for the cats.. I knew there was one just for them but hard to find... and I have only found it one place. :yay: and it is more expensive

rabbithead

To be on the safe side, I would wait until mid-August. It would be ok to give now, but more frequently vaccines are given = more chance of adverse reactions. The SMAWL rabies clinics are held the second Monday of every month, including August, as far as I know.