Lower unit issues

TurboK9

I have recently taken ownership of an older Grady White. The Merc Alpha stern drive needs a new impeller. I have tried everything to separate the lower unit from the housing short of a saw, and can't the dang thing apart, I've only been able to get a small gap going and that's it.

I have the whole thing off the boat, and am wondering if there any places I can take it to that may be able to get it separated for me for a reasonable price? Any know of any decent shops that may be able to deal with this?

Thanks!

Sparx

Lower unit?

From the title of your post I was going to suggest a urologist or gynecologist depending on your gender..

CrashTest

Not sure why it won't come apart assuming you remembered to take out this bolt along with all the others.

Attachments

• alpha.JPG
    alpha.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 116

donald0637

I have recently taken ownership of an older Grady White. The Merc Alpha stern drive needs a new impeller. I have tried everything to separate the lower unit from the housing short of a saw, and can't the dang thing apart, I've only been able to get a small gap going and that's it.

I have the whole thing off the boat, and am wondering if there any places I can take it to that may be able to get it separated for me for a reasonable price? Any know of any decent shops that may be able to deal with this?

Thanks!

did you take the zink off ? there is a bolt under it

TurboK9

did you take the zink off ? there is a bolt under it

Yup. Total of 2 allen bolts and 5 hex nuts. I called around and found someone to (hopefully) pop it apart.

Once in the shop I got a better look, and it looks like either the water tubes plastic sleeve is responsible, last time the boat was used the plastic sleeve melted... Or, it's the lone stud at the foreward edge under the drive shaft.

With a little luck I'll have it back in two pieces tomorrow.

bulldog

Yup. Total of 2 allen bolts and 5 hex nuts. I called around and found someone to (hopefully) pop it apart.

Once in the shop I got a better look, and it looks like either the water tubes plastic sleeve is responsible, last time the boat was used the plastic sleeve melted... Or, it's the lone stud at the foreward edge under the drive shaft.

Hope it works out for you.

I too have a Mercruiser Alpha that I need to change the impellar in. Do you have a manual on how to change it or do you just have the knowledge and skills to do it? I'm a fairly handy guy and can do most things, but have never taken a lower unit off before.

You can always get it apart. It's the getting it all back together that's tricky... :lol:

TurboK9

Hope it works out for you.

I too have a Mercruiser Alpha that I need to change the impellar in. Do you have a manual on how to change it or do you just have the knowledge and skills to do it? I'm a fairly handy guy and can do most things, but have never taken a lower unit off before.

I have the Seloc manual... I recommend NOT getting one. There are mistakes that can really screw you up.

Other than that, I've been shade tree mechanicing for 25 years, so I guess I'm pretty good with a wrench...

The impeller is pretty easy, get it apart and examine the pump housing, impeller, o-rings, etc before you buy a replacement. I'f the housing has grooves inside, you'll want a kit w/ a new housing. Comes w/ all gaskets and orings too.