Lowering the rim...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
“What makes fans not want to watch women’s basketball is that some of the players can’t shoot and they miss layups, and that forces the game to slow down,” Auriemma told CPTV in Hartford. “How do (we) help improve that? Lower the rim [from 10 feet]. Do you think the average fan knows that the net is lower in women’s volleyball than men’s volleyball? It’s about seven inches shorter so the women have the chance for the same kind of success at the net [as the men].”

Legendary Coach Geno Auriemma Proposes That The Rim Be Lowered In Women’s Basketball « CBS New York

Smaller ball, lower net, closer t's, what else?

It is certainly noteworthy that Geno is for this.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Makes sense to me. Just like with women's volleyball, it doesn't make sense for women to have the same height rim as men when the average player is 6-7" shorter. Bring the rim down ~7" and it would add to the excitement and maybe make it more mainstream.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Makes sense to me. Just like with women's volleyball, it doesn't make sense for women to have the same height rim as men when the average player is 6-7" shorter. Bring the rim down ~7" and it would add to the excitement and maybe make it more mainstream.

If the men's players are 6'7" and above wouldn't it make more sense to RAISE their basket?

It really seems at 7' tall the current 10 foot hoop doesn't make for much of a challenge.

I'd rather see a 5'9" player throwing three pointers than a 7' dunking the ball. Lot more skill involved in hitting a three more than 50% of the time.

In fact, wouldn't it be cool if it was at 15'.. If you can dunk that, NOW you are talking about skill..

Beta84

They're out to get us
If the men's players are 6'7" and above wouldn't it make more sense to RAISE their basket?

It really seems at 7' tall the current 10 foot hoop doesn't make for much of a challenge.

I'd rather see a 5'9" player throwing three pointers than a 7' dunking the ball. Lot more skill involved in hitting a three more than 50% of the time.

In fact, wouldn't it be cool if it was at 15'.. If you can dunk that, NOW you are talking about skill..

yeah but that would be boring...the American public likes to see dunks and layups, not skill and other boring junk. Leave the 15' skill challenge to the all star break! :lol:

That's why the men's game is more popular than the women's game! The only answer is to make the women's game more like the men's game and lower the rim

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Well then, with today's technology..

Let's make the rims variable height.. based on the players that are on the floor at any given time.

Take the average height of the players on each team, and make THEIR rim 3 - 5 feet higher than their average height, and it varies thoughout the game as to who's on the court.

Be even better if the team with the shortest average gets the other teams hoop moved up an additional 6" to a foot.

I think it would be cool to see mini me out there with Shaq...

There would be a lot of strategerizing, and gamsemanship to get an advantage..

Beta84

They're out to get us

Let's make the rims variable height.. based on the players that are on the floor at any given time.

Take the average height of the players on each team, and make THEIR rim 3 - 5 feet higher than their average height, and it varies thoughout the game as to who's on the court.

Be even better if the team with the shortest average gets the other teams hoop moved up an additional 6" to a foot.

I'd use a team of mini me's. Nobody would catch them, the other team's rim would be impossibly high, and the big guys would constantly not see the little guys and run into them, so they'd all get charging penalties and keep fouling out. Then again, the new flop rule may end up being a disadvantage if the refs decide they're taking too many charges. Damn, my plans are foiled already.

tipsymcgee

What will you teach kids and girls to play on. Every YMCA and rec and parks gym going to have 9 foot rims for girls to practice and shoot on? It would make a huge transition to everyone's shooting ability that has been raised on 10 foot rims and about to enter high school and college.

Beta84

They're out to get us
What will you teach kids and girls to play on. Every YMCA and rec and parks gym going to have 9 foot rims for girls to practice and shoot on? It would make a huge transition to everyone's shooting ability that has been raised on 10 foot rims and about to enter high school and college.

Just like introducing the 3 point line didn't make an impact on the game. Moving the goal post in football didn't impact kickers. Changes don't impact anything!

What about rules being different between high school, college, and pro? How will those kids keep up with all the different rule changes? Oh no! :jameo:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Now THAT is the America way! The most expensive, complex way conceivable that not only doesn't address the problem, lack of widespread interest in the woman's game but, creates the most jobs!!!

There's hope for you after all!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Now THAT is the America way! The most expensive, complex way conceivable that not only doesn't address the problem, lack of widespread interest in the woman's game but, creates the most jobs!!!

There's hope for you after all!

OH, interest in women's sports is the issue??

Make them go commando in mini skirts..

Find some decent looking women with some skills..

Dress them like Hooters waitresses, and offer courtside lapdances..

Basically NOTHING you do will improve women's basketball, people just don't care about it. Should have already gone the way of the XFL..

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
OH, interest in women's sports is the issue??

Make them go commando in mini skirts..

Find some decent looking women with some skills..

Dress them like Hooters waitresses, and offer courtside lapdances..

Basically NOTHING you do will improve women's basketball, people just don't care about it. Should have already gone the way of the XFL..

People do care about it and there are plenty of GREAT female basketball players. The issue here is of scale and there isn't enough interest to compete with pro ball or major college ball. Plenty of woman's programs do very well and there is an interest in female pro ball, just not on a major level.

The argument here is that lowering the rim with do the trick, to elevate the economic viability of the game. I happen to disagree with that.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
People do care about it and there are plenty of GREAT female basketball players. The issue here is of scale and there isn't enough interest to compete with pro ball or major college ball. Plenty of woman's programs do very well and there is an interest in female pro ball, just not on a major level.

The argument here is that lowering the rim with do the trick, to elevate the economic viability of the game. I happen to disagree with that.

Disagree.. It's not a viable sport.

I've seen the footage while clicking through the channels, and they can't even get the first 3 - 5 rows full at the NBA arenas.

They have to be getting subsidized by the NBA or they would have been gone two years after they started up.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Disagree.. It's not a viable sport.

I've seen the footage while clicking through the channels, and they can't even get the first 3 - 5 rows full at the NBA arenas.

They have to be getting subsidized by the NBA or they would have been gone two years after they started up.

What are we disagreeing about, the definition of viable? I stated it doesn't have the interest to compete on a NBA level and I agree it would have long been gone absent the NBA subsidy but, the NBA is subsidized with protections from competition. Remove that and the NBA becomes diluted.

Woman's basketball could be a pro sport along the lines of the CBA. There are plenty of small arena's they could do some business in.

:shrug: