Lowe's Veteran's Discount?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
In the past always got 10%, today was only 5%, have they reduced it and nobody told me??

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
In the past always got 10%, today was only 5%, have they reduced it and nobody told me??
Heya...

Lowe's has initiated "Every Day Minimum Retail pricing...military/veterans discount does not apply on those items supposedly sold at that level of price. They've cut back the employee discount, too.

If something is on sale, and the discount would bring the price below cost, you may get 5% or 0%.

10% still applies on things at normal pricing levels.

Also, they took away our ability to do an override at the register if you have a mil/vet ID, but are not registered with Lowe's. They want you to go to Lowes.com and use their link to a 3rd party verification service to register for the discount. They also took away the store level ability to register you, or help you update your info. Gotta go to Lowes.com.

Self checkout does NOT take phone numbers for the discount, no way to enter them. It will only take the bar code from the MyLowes loyalty program card. It also has to be a regular bar code, not the QR code that is the default on the smartphone app. The QR code will work with the newer scanners at the regular registers

One can still get the discount with just your phone number and ID at the regular registers.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Lowes worthwhile discounts left in the late 90's, before then employees bought at 2% over cost.
When I signed on 18 years ago this coming 1 October, employee discount was 10% off the lowest price available to the customers, all in stock/clearance merchandise. If it was Special Order, we got that at 10% over cost. That last went away at the beginning of 3rd quarter 2012.

black dog

Free America
When I signed on 18 years ago this coming 1 October, employee discount was 10% off the lowest price available to the customers, all in stock/clearance merchandise. If it was Special Order, we got that at 10% over cost. That last went away at the beginning of 3rd quarter 2012.

My ex left Lowes in Anderson, In in early 1999 and she sold kitchen cabinets. The three in cabinets made a good hourly rate, commission along with other benny's, like employees had the first option to buy merchandise at huge end of season discounts and closeouts before offering to customers.....

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My ex left Lowes in Anderson, In in early 1999 and she sold kitchen cabinets. The three in cabinets made a good hourly rate, commission along with other benny's, like employees had the first option to buy merchandise at huge end of season discounts and closeouts before offering to customers.....

SPIFFs and Commission went away in 2012 also, at the beginning of the Fiscal 2012 Q1 (pay period starting 4 February).

There were replaced by an allowance, that was supposed to be for as long as the associate remained an hourly associate in a store.
They added up all the SPIFFs and commissions one earned over the course of 2011, cut that in half, divided by 26 and that was the resulting "allowance" each pay period. Lowe's said it was to bring more certainty into the associates finances, not feast or famine. Notice given was; "By the way, at the end of this pay period..."

That forever allowance was eliminated at the beginning of fiscal year on 1 February. Lowe's did give several months warning. We lost a lot of experienced people over that. Allowances I heard about from folks ranged from $3000/year to $19,000.

SPIFFs and allowances are financed by kickbacks from the manufacturers. As far as I know, the kickbacks did not diminish as compensation for employees did.

I was never in a position that made much more than a few dollars on occasion from either SPIFFs or commissions.

1stGenSMIB

That stupid bar code sticker lasted in my wallet about 3 months before the barcode wore off and I couldn't scan at the self-checkout..that is why I never see you at the self-checkout anymore. I don't even get a military discount, but I like the purchase history for returns.