Luke 1:1-4 Introduction

hotcoffee

Introduction

Luke 1:1 Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled[a] among us, 2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. 3 With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, 4 so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.​

Theophilus, the name, always jumps out to me. So this is what I found out....

"However, his exact identity is unknown. Some scholars believe Theophilus was a wealthy relative of Caesar; others, that he was the benefactor who paid for Luke's Doctor Degree; still others, that Theophilus was a pseudonym for someone who wanted to remain anonymous; or that Luke wanted to mask his identity with secrecy because of potential persecution. " ....lost the link sorry....

This is a link some preachers might use to discuss Theophilus.

All the sites I visited have some conjecture but the truth is we don't know who he was.

It seems to me, though, Luke is writing to someone who has learned about Jesus but still has questions. IMHO the significance of his name in the Bible is kind of like "you've got questions, we've got answers" kind of statement.

:coffee: