Lunches paid for?

SamSpade

Not that I am complaining - as long as any kid of mine is in school, there is ALWAYS something I have to reach into my pocket and pay MORE for. When it was elementary school there was always a field trip. Pre-school we had to constantly replenish their supply of snacks and tissues.

But I haven't had to pay for lunches yet. In the higher grades, the cost goes up - and paying for lunches is a major expense for me - typically around 200 a month.

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Do they just have so much food from a year of not feeding them?

Bare-ya-cuda

Not that I am complaining - as long as any kid of mine is in school, there is ALWAYS something I have to reach into my pocket and pay MORE for. When it was elementary school there was always a field trip. Pre-school we had to constantly replenish their supply of snacks and tissues.

But I haven't had to pay for lunches yet. In the higher grades, the cost goes up - and paying for lunches is a major expense for me - typically around 200 a month.

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Do they just have so much food from a year of not feeding them?
My daughter is in 11th grade at LHS and she tell me the lunches are horrible.

limblips

PREMO Member
So the Congressional bar wench from NY wants to tax the rich but we give their kids free school meals?

SamSpade

So the Congressional bar wench from NY wants to tax the rich but we give their kids free school meals?

(shrug) Is the federal government eating the cost, or the state?

I only began to do school lunches when it became clear enough that my son wouldn't eat some things or wasn't going to try stuff.
Really wouldn't surprise me if my girls would choose to make their own and just bring it to school - I am fairly certain they could do better than 3-4 dollars a lunch.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My son's a sophomore there - and he has the opposite opinion. But - he's a boy and he'd enjoy dirt if it was served.
Teen boys generally go for high carb food. They're usually growing like crazy and using a lot of energy. I remember spaghetti day, my buddy and I would always get extra corn and French bread.

UglyBear

I only began to do school lunches when it became clear enough that my son wouldn't eat some things or wasn't going to try stuff.
Really wouldn't surprise me if my girls would choose to make their own and just bring it to school - I am fairly certain they could do better than 3-4 dollars a lunch.
Funny, all of my picky eaters eat at school stuff they would never eat at home. Some weird psychological effect.

SamSpade

Teen boys generally go for high carb food. They're usually growing like crazy and using a lot of energy. I remember spaghetti day, my buddy and I would always get extra corn and French bread.

My guy is so hugely underweight. He eats so little and eats so SLOWLY that after AN HOUR he's lost his appettite.
He's 16 and still under 100 lb. Skinny as an exclamation point.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

School food was much better back in the day. I remember eating beets that were served with lunch in elementary school.

What goes to schools now are Sysco's, and other food delivery services, unwanted crappy stock, it seems. And all the GMO frankenfoods as well. Schools don't like spending lots of money on food service, specifically if that money can be funneled to administrator and teachers paychecks.

PeoplesElbow

I've noticed a lot of the hate comes from not having a choice. College dorm food was actually excellent but everyone complained, because they were forced to pay for it so their parents expected them to eat it. But honestly the food was pretty good.

rio

I can remember the stories about my grandma being one of the school lunch ladies. It was a very rural area and they would actually COOK. As in real meals prepared from scratch. Any leftovers were discretely sent home with the kids they knew needed food at home.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
In Jr. High, they had meatball subs on occasion. Most would eat the meatballs and leave the sauce-soaked roll. I always took it, it was the best part!!

Calistress

Are you more upset about kids getting free lunch, or that AOC calls for higher taxes for corporations and 1%s?

It's telling that folks like you praise John Boehner for "pulling himself up by his bootstraps," which included a whole three months in the Navy, odd jobs as a bartender, roofer, and a janitor before attending college. Yet, AOC is referred to as a bar wench, although currently a politician and activist.

Hmm - I can't quite put my finger on what the difference is.

Bare-ya-cuda

Are you more upset about kids getting free lunch, or that AOC calls for higher taxes for corporations and 1%s?

It's telling that folks like you praise John Boehner for "pulling himself up by his bootstraps," which included a whole three months in the Navy, odd jobs as a bartender, roofer, and a janitor before attending college. Yet, AOC is referred to as a bar wench, although currently a politician and activist.

School is out.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

I don't know anything about John Boehner, but I know that aoc is a ****ing idiot. Is he an idiot too? It's my opinion that aoc's district must be filled with simpletons, if she's the best they have to offer. In addition to being a dullard, she also lies about things that anyone with the IQ above a mud flap can see are false.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I've noticed a lot of the hate comes from not having a choice. College dorm food was actually excellent but everyone complained, because they were forced to pay for it so their parents expected them to eat it. But honestly the food was pretty good.
I probably predate you in college by a couple decades but I found pretty much the same. It was also cheaper to have a meal plan than it was to buy and cook my own food once I moved off campus.

UglyBear

I probably predate you in college by a couple decades but I found pretty much the same. It was also cheaper to have a meal plan than it was to buy and cook my own food once I moved off campus.
When I went in the early 00’s, I never had a meal plan :nomoney:, but when my friends sneaked me in, the food was horrible.
The theory bandied around was that any flavor or texture was “offensive” to some or other snowflake, so the cafeterias went to the lowest common denominator of “ground up gym mats boiled in tepid water”. All you can eat, but not something you want to eat.