Lunches paid for?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
When I went in the early 00’s, I never had a meal plan :nomoney:, but when my friends sneaked me in, the food was horrible.
The theory bandied around was that any flavor or texture was “offensive” to some or other snowflake, so the cafeterias went to the lowest common denominator of “ground up gym mats boiled in tepid water”. All you can eat, but not something you want to eat.
That was about the time school lunches also turned to dreck in most places.

PeoplesElbow

I probably predate you in college by a couple decades but I found pretty much the same. It was also cheaper to have a meal plan than it was to buy and cook my own food once I moved off campus.
First semester of college was 1992, we had the option of 10, 15, or 18 meals a week. I think the 10 meal plan was 1200 a semester, 1400 for the 15.

PeoplesElbow

Are you more upset about kids getting free lunch, or that AOC calls for higher taxes for corporations and 1%s?

It's telling that folks like you praise John Boehner for "pulling himself up by his bootstraps," which included a whole three months in the Navy, odd jobs as a bartender, roofer, and a janitor before attending college. Yet, AOC is referred to as a bar wench, although currently a politician and activist.

Hmm - I can't quite put my finger on what the difference is.
She is so smart she went to college and became a bartender afterward.

PeoplesElbow

When I went in the early 00’s, I never had a meal plan :nomoney:, but when my friends sneaked me in, the food was horrible.
The theory bandied around was that any flavor or texture was “offensive” to some or other snowflake, so the cafeterias went to the lowest common denominator of “ground up gym mats boiled in tepid water”. All you can eat, but not something you want to eat.
Funny thing about dorm food, I never had Quiche before, they wrote it out in script on a white board one day and I asked the lady "what is a quickie?" She was like excuse me.... It says quickie as an entree there.....

We did have something for breakfast called Jiffies, was a sausage dipped in pancake batter and it was the breakfast version of a corn dog.

limblips

PREMO Member
Are you more upset about kids getting free lunch, or that AOC calls for higher taxes for corporations and 1%s?

It's telling that folks like you praise John Boehner for "pulling himself up by his bootstraps," which included a whole three months in the Navy, odd jobs as a bartender, roofer, and a janitor before attending college. Yet, AOC is referred to as a bar wench, although currently a politician and activist.

Hmm - I can't quite put my finger on what the difference is.
Wow, just wow. I could explain the hypocrisy of providing free meals to rich peoples kids while simultaneously calling for them to pay more taxes but it is obvious you wouldn't understand. And the bar wench is a completely unqualified representative but I heard she can make an awesome Sex on the Beach.

It's called "endless summer" or something like that - school systems had the option to use funds to extend free meals through this school year to all students, not just the free/reduced price kids.

vince77

I remember in grade school, milk was 3 cents a carton (8oz). Lunch was 35 cents, ice cream sandwiches were 10 cents. Eat 3 ice cream sandwiches and go home with a nickel.

black dog

Free America
My son's a sophomore there - and he has the opposite opinion. But - he's a boy and he'd enjoy dirt if it was served.

Mine loved MRE's when duck fishing or deer hunting growing up. Fast forward a bit, then he had nothing but MRE's for a month or so...

black dog

Free America
I remember in grade school, milk was 3 cents a carton (8oz). Lunch was 35 cents, ice cream sandwiches were 10 cents. Eat 3 ice cream sandwiches and go home with a nickel.

We had a milk war when i was in elementary school.
Milk went down to two for a penny one year.
We didnt buy lunch..
1963-69

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I remember lunches at Maggie B were something like a quarter. I would buy a couple Charms Blow Pops and trade them for lunch tickets from the free lunch crowd. Had a nice little racket going until I got greedy. After a couple days of reusing tickets they got flimsy, you could peal the front off and have 2 "tickets". It only worked one day and they busted me the next time. :frown: