Lung cancer

SoccerMom2

I found out last night my sisters mom has lung cancer. She is in the hospital with pneumonia and they want to start chemo. I don't know what stage she is. I go the info from my mom and not my sister. I have no idea what to say to my sister. We haven't been really close the past 2 years. I don't want to call her and say i am so sorry. That sounds stupid but i don't know what else to say. her mom has struggled to change her life and become a better person. Which she has done. We all live in different states which makes it harder. I don't wish the pain or heart ache on my sister or anyone. If i could take the pain my sister is feeling away i would.

rwethereyet

Yeah, okay.
I found out last night my sisters mom has lung cancer. She is in the hospital with pneumonia and they want to start chemo. I don't know what stage she is. I go the info from my mom and not my sister. I have no idea what to say to my sister. We haven't been really close the past 2 years. I don't want to call her and say i am so sorry. That sounds stupid but i don't know what else to say. her mom has struggled to change her life and become a better person. Which she has done. We all live in different states which makes it harder. I don't wish the pain or heart ache on my sister or anyone. If i could take the pain my sister is feeling away i would.

I would call her and say you heard about her mom and if she needs you to help do anything, let you know... :howdy:

SoccerMom2

:yeahthat:

I'm sorry to hear about that SoccerMom, my Pop Pop lost his battle with cancer almost a year ago :huggy:

It was so out of the blue. I am just worried with the pneumonia it will be hard and longer before they can start treatment. She will be so weak. I don't wish this on anyone.

It was so out of the blue. I am just worried with the pneumonia it will be hard and longer before they can start treatment. She will be so weak. I don't wish this on anyone.

I'm so sorry, really. I'm sure they won't do the treatment while she's sick because of her weak immune system but hopefully they can get her healthy enough to do it soon.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08

Pneumonia is very common with lung cancer. I have had it two or three times. They can probably start treatment very soon after her penumonia is better. Offer to be there for your sister and keep in close touch with her. Cards are nice, as they let her know you are thinking of her. Do you know what kind of lung cancer she has or if it has spread?

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I would call her and say you heard about her mom and if she needs you to help do anything, let you know... :howdy:

I agree. Let her know you're there for her. It will be up to her to decide if she wants to take you up on your offer or not. Just knowing you are out there to help will mean a lot to her.

SoccerMom2

Pneumonia is very common with lung cancer. I have had it two or three times. They can probably start treatment very soon after her penumonia is better. Offer to be there for your sister and keep in close touch with her. Cards are nice, as they let her know you are thinking of her. Do you know what kind of lung cancer she has or if it has spread?

No not yet. I called my sister. All she said was ok then hung up. She make act strong and together but thats a cover up. i know it is killing her. Hopefully when the state of shock wears off she will open up. She knows i am here for here. That is all i can do.

C

CalvertNewbie

:yeahthat: I'm sure she'll appreciate you letting her know that you're there for her if she needs help. It's a lot to go through and it helps to have all the support you can get. My Dad had cancer and it brought me a little closer to my Aunts and Uncle, who all live in different states. We always knew we loved one another but we've been better about staying in touch more often since going through all of this.

:huggy:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
No not yet. I called my sister. All she said was ok then hung up. She make act strong and together but thats a cover up. i know it is killing her. Hopefully when the state of shock wears off she will open up. She knows i am here for here. That is all i can do.

In addition, chemo is not the horrid monster it used to be. The nausea is not what it used to be and what nausea comes with it can be well controlled with meds. Being tired is the worst part of the chemo, although there are other things that she may or may not experience. Mostly, your sister is probably scared to death. Once she goes with her mom to chemo, she may feel a bit more relieved, if that is possible. The scariest part of cancer is the unknown. Tell your sister to become her mom's advocate. Take notes at each visit with the doctor, have her track your mom's symptoms, problems, etc. and tell the doctor. Too often the patient forgets isses they are having because they are so overwhelmed with the disease, itself. My best friend is my advocate and she tells the dr. problems that I have encountered that I would forget to tell him.

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
In addition, chemo is not the horrid monster it used to be. The nausea is not what it used to be and what nausea comes with it can be well controlled with meds. Being tired is the worst part of the chemo, although there are other things that she may or may not experience. Mostly, your sister is probably scared to death. Once she goes with her mom to chemo, she may feel a bit more relieved, if that is possible. The scariest part of cancer is the unknown. Tell your sister to become her mom's advocate. Take notes at each visit with the doctor, have her track your mom's symptoms, problems, etc. and tell the doctor. Too often the patient forgets isses they are having because they are so overwhelmed with the disease, itself. My best friend is my advocate and she tells the dr. problems that I have encountered that I would forget to tell him.

Very good advice!! When my momma had it that's what I did. I made notes... researched and asked lots of questions. My mom was super tired from the chemo and I stayed with her to help take care of her and keep up with all the meds that she had to take along with the chemo.
:huggy: to you, your sister & her mom

:huggy: To you BSGAL

angelbaby

When my MIL found out she had lung cancer my hubby went out and bought her a small voice recorder so she tape all the visits with the doctor. It has helped alot. She is still fighting. Prayers to your sister and her mom. :huggy: