Lusby to Anacostia??

beerlover

Wondering approximately how long it would take me to commute from Lusby to Anacostia, leaving at 6:00am and heading home around 4:30pm.... Thanks in advance!

unixpirate

Pitty Party
beerlover said:
Wondering approximately how long it would take me to commute from Lusby to Anacostia, leaving at 6:00am and heading home around 4:30pm.... Thanks in advance!

mapquest :shrug:

MMDad

Lem Putt
beerlover said:

You could use an estimate of 1 1/2 hours, but it can easily take twice that. It takes me anywhere from one hour to three hours to get downtown.

SamSpade

beerlover said:
Used to take me an hour and fifteen minutes to make the trip from Lusby to Suitland, door to door, same time slot, most days of the week barring accidents and other traffic problems.

I imagine anofher twenty minutes down Suitland Parkway would probably be about right.

Where in Anacostia? You might find the Keller Bus will take you there, and if you're government, Uncle Sam'll pick up the tab. It'll take slightly longer, but you can read/sleep on the way in.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Anacostia? :yikes: Are ya sure you want to do that?! One hour 30 minutes average, with easily being doubled when - raining, snowing, foggy, road conscruction and any accident. If you have a bridge jumper it will take you 2 days.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Where in Annocostia?

Keller bus...no, doesn't stop there, at least not the buses leaving Calvert, the first stop in DC for them is at 1st & Independence - Capitol Hill.

BUT we leave home at about 5:45 a.m., make two stops (Sunderland and Dunkirk) picking up passengers and we are in Annacostia (Good Hope Road) well before 7 because I get off the bus at my stop (almost in Georgeown) at 7:20.

AND we get on the bus at 4:27 coming home...leaving from Northwest DC (almost Georgetown), make several stops heading out of DC to pick up people and we pull into Prince Frederick at 6 p.m.

So, I'd think driving you could do just as well, AND you don't have to stop to load passengers on your bus but that could allow for the time from PF to Lusby.

Last edited:

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
migtig said:
Anacostia? :yikes: Are ya sure you want to do that?! One hour 30 minutes average, with easily being doubled when - raining, snowing, foggy, road conscruction and any accident. If you have a bridge jumper it will take you 2 days.

Oh boy, I was so stuck in that. Was caught up in the back up and finally got off the WW bridge and did a u-turn to get on 395N where I met everyone who did heard and didn't opt to get on the beltway to cross the bridge and it still took me 3.5hrs to get home from Alexandria, VA to DC.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
LexiGirl75 said:
Oh boy, I was so stuck in that. Was caught up in the back up and finally got off the WW bridge and did a u-turn to get on 395N where I met everyone who did heard and didn't opt to get on the beltway to cross the bridge and it still took me 3.5hrs to get home from Alexandria, VA to DC.

Coming from Lusby, Annacostia is on THIS side of the river. You wouldn't need to cross a bridge to get there.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
migtig said:

What bridge are you talking about. If I were to go from Lusby to SE DC I'd take 4 all the way into DC and then make any number of lefts (I liked 8th street cause you got to drive by the barracks) to get over to the Anacostia River area.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
cattitude said:
Coming from Lusby, Annacostia is on THIS side of the river. You wouldn't need to cross a bridge to get there.

Awwww, we were thinking the same thing at the same time. :huggy:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
pixiegirl said:
Awwww, we were thinking the same thing at the same time. :huggy:

I'm not sure if I should be skeered or happy? :lol:

I guess they do call some of that on the OTHER side of the river Annacostia but you don't really have to cross the bridge completely...know what I mean?

beerlover

Thanks for the replies... That commute doesn't sound too bad, all things considered. I currently live out in Loudoun County, VA and it takes me about 1 hour in the morning and then at least 1:45 in the afternoon (and getting worse all the time). Housing in Loudoun is just CRAZY and people keep on pouring in. I live in a townhouse now and my next door neighbor just sold his for $600k. It's a big townhouse with a 2 car garage, but still -- $600K???? I don't understand how people are coming up with this kind of money.

I work on the base at Anacostia with a fence all around it, so it's not so bad. Plus, free parking. I'm a DOD employee, so I could always dream about getting one of those coveted openings at PAX....

I would much rather live in Southern MD because I grew up in coastal NC and it just reminds me so much of home because the topography is so similar. And I love boating and fishing and the family lifestyle down that way I think would be better for my stay-at-home wife and kids.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
beerlover said:
Thanks for the replies... That commute doesn't sound too bad, all things considered. I currently live out in Loudoun County, VA and it takes me about 1 hour in the morning and then at least 1:45 in the afternoon (and getting worse all the time). Housing in Loudoun is just CRAZY and people keep on pouring in. I live in a townhouse now and my next door neighbor just sold his for $600k. It's a big townhouse with a 2 car garage, but still -- $600K???? I don't understand how people are coming up with this kind of money.

I work on the base at Anacostia with a fence all around it, so it's not so bad. Plus, free parking. I'm a DOD employee, so I could always dream about getting one of those coveted openings at PAX....

I would much rather live in Southern MD because I grew up in coastal NC and it just reminds me so much of home because the topography is so similar. And I love boating and fishing and the family lifestyle down that way I think would be better for my stay-at-home wife and kids.

The Navy Yard?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
beerlover said:

I don't think it would be a bad commute at all really, especially at the times you will be traveling. Good luck. :yay:

beerlover

pixiegirl said:
The Navy Yard?

Nope... Anacostia Naval Annex. It's connected with Bolling AFB. It's on the MD side of the Anacostia river along 295/South Capitol Street. It's close to the Anacostia Metro Stop...

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
beerlover said:
Nope... Anacostia Naval Annex. It's connected with Bolling AFB. It's on the MD side of the Anacostia river along 295/South Capitol Street. It's close to the Anacostia Metro Stop...

Easy commute. Up 4 to Suitland Parkway, left at Firth Sterling. Suitland Parkway can be a pain but since you don't need to cross the Annacostia, you'll do fine. Every now and then there's a problem on 4 or a bad backup on the Parkway but for the most part, you just have a nice commute.

CityGrl

Time for a nap
beerlover said:

1) Why the heck live in Loudon County and commute to DC?
2) Why the heck live in Southern Maryland and commute to DC?

Can't you move somewhere closer, or at least somewhere where you have access to the Metro or the VRE? ANYTHING that involves public transportation (and I'm not talking a bus) would be better than sitting in 1 1/2-3 hours' worth of traffic each way.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
beerlover said:

Oh ok. I'd still come up Rt 4 then hit 295 S to Bowling. Shouldn't be a terrible drive. I'd give it 1.5 hours, probably a little less in the morning.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
CityGrl said:
1) Why the heck live in Loudon County and commute to DC?
2) Why the heck live in Southern Maryland and commute to DC?

Can't you move somewhere closer, or at least somewhere where you have access to the Metro or the VRE? ANYTHING that involves public transportation (and I'm not talking a bus) would be better than sitting in 1 1/2-3 hours' worth of traffic each way.

Can't stand the idea that he might want to get out of Virgina, can you? :lmao: