Lying about Military Pay Raises...to the military

awpitt

Main Streeter
During my time in, I can't say that I ever encountered an instance of a single/no kids sailor receiving public assistance. I can't say that it never happened but I never saw it. When I was in, single sailors lived on the ship or in the barracks. Anytime they wanted to live out in town, they'd usually find a roommate situation and split the rent and bills. I know it's different now. My son is home ported an San Diego and when the ship is in port, the single sailors live in "dorm" style barracks.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Spitting our service members is definitely your strong point. Wear that badge with pride.

Thinking here that you are wound just a wee bit too tight. Just because your time in service wasn't all you thought it would be, does not mean that I am spitting on anyone in regards to their service. All I'm saying that the services are geared towards single personnel. If these single personal want to burden themselves with spouses, children, then they should be ready for all that it brings. The government is under no obligation to ensure that they can raise a family on whatever rank and time-in-grade they are. That responsibility falls to the service member and the service member alone. Dependents have always taken a back seat to their sponsors in regard to priorities. Why is it so difficult for you to understand? It is the military. It is not GS level employment. These service members are volunteers. There is plenty of information regarding pay and benefits to read about before they raise their right hand. Anyone who is shocked after the fact that their E-2 pay doesn't cover what they thought, even with the BAH locality pay, should ask for an early hardship discharge. Plus, according to your NPR article, "Service members who qualify and receive federal food assistance make up a small percentage of the overall active-duty population – barely 2 percent of the force, according to the USDA." By the way ... Still waiting for proof of public assistance for a single service member, with no children, with no dependents, on their own, by themselves, with no responsibilities other than to themselves, to the service they joined, and Nation.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I spent 22.5 of years of my adult life traveling the globe in support of God and country. I wake up often remembering things I wish to hell I could forget, probably drink too much trying to erase some of my past.

The VA has programs that might help you to come to terms with whatever it is you are dealing with. Best of luck to you.

PsyOps

Pixelated
If I may ...

Thinking here that you are wound just a wee bit too tight. Just because your time in service wasn't all you thought it would be, does not mean that I am spitting on anyone in regards to their service. All I'm saying that the services are geared towards single personnel. If these single personal want to burden themselves with spouses, children, then they should be ready for all that it brings. The government is under no obligation to ensure that they can raise a family on whatever rank and time-in-grade they are. That responsibility falls to the service member and the service member alone. Dependents have always taken a back seat to their sponsors in regard to priorities. Why is it so difficult for you to understand? It is the military. It is not GS level employment. These service members are volunteers. There is plenty of information regarding pay and benefits to read about before they raise their right hand. Anyone who is shocked after the fact that their E-2 pay doesn't cover what they thought, even with the BAH locality pay, should ask for an early hardship discharge. Plus, according to your NPR article, "Service members who qualify and receive federal food assistance make up a small percentage of the overall active-duty population – barely 2 percent of the force, according to the USDA." By the way ... Still waiting for proof of public assistance for a single service member, with no children, with no dependents, on their own, by themselves, with no responsibilities other than to themselves, to the service they joined, and Nation.

You seem to like making assumptions about me. Wound too tight? You jumped into this thread with "Whoop di flying f*ck diddly do. A snot nosed E-3..." and "These pity stories are pathetic." You're triggered from moment-one that our military dare expect a pay raise that is commensurate with inflation.

And what do you expect I'm going to give you names of people I have known that were on food stamps. I work with a single guy, no kids, that has to take care of his own parents because they landed on hard times. He sends them money every week. And he's an E-3. This has caused him all sorts of stress that he has been unable to pass his PT test. Now they are processing him out. There are plenty of these kinds of stories out there.

I don't know where you get your information, but it's from a really poor source; or perhaps it's just your own misinformed opinion. In any event, I'm wasting my time with someone that has such a deep contempt for those that are willing give everything so you can spew your contempt against them. They deserve to be paid far more than they are. FAR MORE! When only .4% of our population is willing to take this very important job - defending this country and YOUR RIGHTS - I don't think it's too much ask these "snot nosed" troops at least get pay raises that are worth a damn.

And to my original point... Trump was wrong to claim he is doing something grant for them, when it's below average.

nutz

Many, because of circumstances out of their control, are on public assistance. If you served as long as you claim you have, you know this.

You know, there wasn't any reason for you to make a comment like this. Isn't it highly probable your experience was very different from mine? I only personally knew of a handful of people that had serious financial problems and none of those were because they didn't have enough money. They were either poor money managers or were post deployment divorcees that found their savings and household goods gone when they returned.

black dog

Free America
If I may ...

I absolutely agree, all most every MOS my son looked at and read about The Corps made it painfully clear that this MOS is for a single person..
And it was brought to his attention more than once what his pay would be as a PFC, he gets one bump for his years of JROTC.

PsyOps

Pixelated
You know, there wasn't any reason for you to make a comment like this. Isn't it highly probable your experience was very different from mine? I only personally knew of a handful of people that had serious financial problems and none of those were because they didn't have enough money. They were either poor money managers or were post deployment divorcees that found their savings and household goods gone when they returned.

It offended you? It was factual statement aimed at dispelling LR's false contention that not one *single* military member is on public assistance. It doesn't matter much what the reasons were these people were on public assistance; the fact is they were. LR is dead wrong. It seems his only purpose in this thread was to disparage our military for having the nerve to expect a pay raise. He made some pretty disparaging remarks about our troops, and thought it was appropriate to make assumptions about me; for what reason I can only guess that he has some sort of contempt for people like that served; that we're some sort of entitled group of people not deserving of the pay we even get now.

This comment is what really *triggered* me:

The moral, if there is one, by staying single while in the service, one will do just fine, and have plenty of money to do any thing and really want for nothing.

LR seems to have it in his head that our military do a bunch of nothing. I've been waiting for the 'baby killer' accusation to come out any time now. I don't suppose a visit to Arlington would change this attitude about our military doing a bunch of nothing. I work with a bunch of good folks that work a Panama schedule. They never get into a balanced sleep or eating schedule, and still have to figure out how to stay fit and do their jobs. Yes LR, they actually have jobs to do. And they don't complain. Then they get deployed knowing they very well may not come home alive. And they don't complain. And people like LR bitch about these good people wanting a decent pay raise, while enjoy the freedoms these people protect. What a pathetic example of a thankful American.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I absolutely agree, all most every MOS my son looked at and read about The Corps made it painfully clear that this MOS is for a single person..
And it was brought to his attention more than once what his pay would be as a PFC, he gets one bump for his years of JROTC.

And you, too, are ignoring that over half of our military are married. Over 68% of Marine officers are married and 39% of enlisted (an overall average of over 42%). If certain MOS's can't marry, they'd have a pretty hard time finding officers to command them.

I won't dispute what you're claiming, but this is a far cry from saying that the entire military is geared towards single people; and use that false claim as a basis for saying everyone in the military should be single; as LR has done. The military spends billions to accommodate families. It seems the military leaders, and congress, understand two major things: 1) our military folks are going to establish personal relationships and eventually get married and 2) they are no different than the ordinary population.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Unknown Quote "If the Corps wanted you to have a wife, they'd have issued you one!"

awpitt

Main Streeter
And you, too, are ignoring that over half of our military are married. Over 68% of Marine officers are married and 39% of enlisted (an overall average of over 42%). If certain MOS's can't marry, they'd have a pretty hard time finding officers to command them.

I won't dispute what you're claiming, but this is a far cry from saying that the entire military is geared towards single people; and use that false claim as a basis for saying everyone in the military should be single; as LR has done. The military spends billions to accommodate families. It seems the military leaders, and congress, understand two major things: 1) our military folks are going to establish personal relationships and eventually get married and 2) they are no different than the ordinary population.

With an all-volunteer military, if service members were expected to remain single during the service careers, we'd have a very hard time filling billets.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Unknown Quote "If the Corps wanted you to have a wife, they'd have issued you one!"

"If the Navy wanted you to have a wife, they'd have issued you one in your sea bag!" I heard this many times when I was in the Navy. I went in when I was married and would respond by saying, "If the Navy didn't want me to have a wife, the Navy wouldn't have signed me up."

black dog

Free America

Officer ranks pay a weeeeeee bit more than E2 and E4 pay rates...
And it was not stated can't marry,, it was strongly suggested you need to be single..
There is a reason for that...

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

You seem to like making assumptions about me. Wound too tight? You jumped into this thread with "Whoop di flying f*ck diddly do. A snot nosed E-3..." and "These pity stories are pathetic." You're triggered from moment-one that our military dare expect a pay raise that is commensurate with inflation. And what do you expect I'm going to give you names of people I have known that were on food stamps. I work with a single guy, no kids, that has to take care of his own parents because they landed on hard times. He sends them money every week. And he's an E-3. This has caused him all sorts of stress that he has been unable to pass his PT test. Now they are processing him out. There are plenty of these kinds of stories out there. I don't know where you get your information, but it's from a really poor source; or perhaps it's just your own misinformed opinion. In any event, I'm wasting my time with someone that has such a deep contempt for those that are willing give everything so you can spew your contempt against them. They deserve to be paid far more than they are. FAR MORE! When only .4% of our population is willing to take this very important job - defending this country and YOUR RIGHTS - I don't think it's too much ask these "snot nosed" troops at least get pay raises that are worth a damn.

You are not seeing the forest through the trees here fella. Your anecdotal stories have no bearing on the pay scales of service members. So a single member has to care for his parents because "they" landed on hard times? And this is somehow the DOD's fault? That because this kid's parents fell on hard times the DOD has to help and make up the slack? The one thing that the military does do well, in most cases, is to make, or break. Seems as if they broke this kid. And that's ok. That's what the services need to do, and do well. Weed out those that can't hack it. If the kid feels the need to help economically support his parents, great. Though not his responsibility. Personally, my mother and father would have never ever told me if they were having financial issues. And if I did find out, would have been told to mind my own f*cking business and focus on making something of myself. To have even offered them money would have been a slap to their face.

Contempt I have, huh? Because my opinion differs from yours? My, "Whoop di flying f*ck diddly do." was used because most anyone with a spouse and kids, or just with kids, in civilian life being paid what a E-3 makes, is going to suffer and most likely be on food stamps as well. Just because it is happening to a service member, or members, doesn't mean they get a pass, nor does it mean that economics are thrown out the window because of it. It comes down fully to personal responsibility. Personal responsibility of the service member to ensure that his or her decisions do not become a burden to themselves or their command. Simple as that. By the way, bung hole, was being really nice till just now, my father came home broken and shot up from World War II, and was medically discharged because of it. Dealt with physical, and mental, issues until his death. I myself am a combat veteran. You throw about this word, contempt, attempting for it to stick to me due to your own shortcomings, when, for myself, the complete opposite is true. I'm from the old school of hard knocks, raised by parents that went to a far worse school, who didn't think twice about beating me or my siblings when the need arose. Raised that you work with what's been dealt without complaint. If you wanted something else, then it was work, education, and tenacity, that bettered your position in life. So if these little snowflakes can't handle the financial stresses of military life, then get the f*ck out. Your little rantings prove nothing, other than you yourself being a snowflake making machine, ie, part of the problem.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
We all know you couldnt pull even a used up stripper from roses :yay:

I'm Sorry you thought this was an insult ...

... but I never Lived in SOMD [Charles, St. Mary's, Calvert] so I was never your competition for Friday Night Stripper Pickup at the local titty bar
... I was at the clubs in Georgetown on a Friday night ....
... and if your claim to fame is 'pulling' strippers from Rosie's on a Friday Night :yay: MORE Power to ya

Midnightrider

I'm Sorry you thought this was an insult ...

... but I never Lived in SOMD [Charles, St. Mary's, Calvert] so I was never your competition for Friday Night Stripper Pickup at the local titty bar
... I was at the clubs in Georgetown on a Friday night ....
... and if your claim to fame is 'pulling' strippers from Rosie's on a Friday Night :yay: MORE Power to ya

:killingme

You think Roses was the insult? God damn you are stupid. Particularly so if you think marry a skank from a strip club in the city is any better.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
:killingme

You think Roses was the insult? God damn you are stupid. Particularly so if you think marry a skank from a strip club in the city is any better.

Did I say anything about a strip club, moron ...
did I say anything about marrying anyone ....

NO you obtuse Gash

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I my ...

I know a 2nd class that just bout a $65k truck. :otter:

The old saying applies here, "Young and dumb and full of ...". But that's just fine. Let them do it now and get it out of their system. I knew many grunts, and other first line types, that spent their money crazy. They enjoyed what they got because of all their time spent in the field for training and other stuff. Since they didn't know if they were ever coming back from, that other stuff. Never held it against them. Best guys to be friends with. Especially at bars.

nutz

It offended you? It was factual statement aimed at dispelling LR's false contention that not one *single* military member is on public assistance.

Right, you were "triggered" by LR and directed the attitude towards me then didn't understand why I would be offended.