Lying about Military Pay Raises...to the military

transporter

Gee...who would have thunk it...our incompetent, unqualified President stood before our Naval Academy graduates and flat out lied:

TRUMP: “Going to have new equipment and well-deserved pay raises. We just got you a big pay raise. First time in 10 years. We got you a big pay increase. First time in over 10 years. I fought for you. That was the hardest one to get, but you never had a chance of losing.”

THE FACTS: That’s not right. U.S. military members have gotten a pay raise every year for the past 10 years and several have been larger than this year’s 2.6 percent increase. Pay increases in 2008, 2009 and 2010, for example, were all 3.4 percent or more.

https://www.apnews.com/418be33ec48c...ECK:-Trump-is-wrong-about-military-pay,-ships

PsyOps

Pixelated
Pay raises for our military are one of my pet peeves. Trump bragging about giving the military a pay raise is unnecessary. There should never be a debate about how much our troops get paid; especially when they are routinely being sent into harm's way. Bragging that it's the first time in 10 years... this is blatantly false. Did he lie or misinformed by his aides? I don't care. He needs to get back out there and correct it. His so-called pay raise sucks! It's was a 2.4% increase. Inflation ran at 2.5%. Folks in the military are fed up with chump change in pay increases that typically lag behind inflation. Send them to die and pay them the equivalent of a grocery store clerk.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I'm still waiting for the $2,500 the other guy promised all of us.

Don't forget that many military members retire relatively young and can possibly collect a retirement check for 30-40 years.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Why only 30 or 40? Does it stop or something after that?

I just put those numbers up for an example. This year will be the 20th year I've drawn a military pension. If I live to be 90 I'll have drawn for 51 years.

Considering how low my E-3 pay was the first couple of years, I could possibly collect more in pension when compared to my entire active military pay.

Hijinx

Pay raises for our military are one of my pet peeves. Trump bragging about giving the military a pay raise is unnecessary. There should never be a debate about how much our troops get paid; especially when they are routinely being sent into harm's way. Bragging that it's the first time in 10 years... this is blatantly false. Did he lie or misinformed by his aides? I don't care. He needs to get back out there and correct it. His so-called pay raise sucks! It's was a 2.4% increase. Inflation ran at 2.5%. Folks in the military are fed up with chump change in pay increases that typically lag behind inflation. Send them to die and pay them the equivalent of a grocery store clerk.

Just something else for you to bitch about Trump. Be hap-p-y--- keep bitching.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Well, I tells ya. For a single service member, that's pretty good pay they receive, plus, health care and food and a bunk. And the higher the the rank the better the pay and benefits, (such as [BAQ] authorized off post housing). And at the same time, learn a good trade, or, just learn how to kill quickly and quietly better than the enemy, and have the government at your back. The quagmire comes into play when you start adding in those dependents. Unless you are an officer, it is darn difficult to raise a family on enlisted pay, at least at E-6 and below anyway. If someone is going into the service, it is best to remain single for a while, sock away a majority of pay, (save some fun toys), until they gain rank and experience.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
If someone is going into the service, it is best to remain single for a while, sock away a majority of pay, (save some fun toys), until they gain rank and experience.

One major problem with this assessment is that many enlisted come into basic training with (1) a fancy car with hefty monthly payments and (2) a girlfriend-now-wife who's about six months pregnant and maybe not having a high school diploma.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

One major problem with this assessment is that many enlisted come into basic training with (1) a fancy car with hefty monthly payments and (2) a girlfriend-now-wife who's about six months pregnant and maybe not having a high school diploma.

Have to agree. And these are the folk that quickly learn that though they might have a girlfriend/new wife, or whatever, with or without a kid on the way, money problems, relationship issues, the leadership really couldn't care less. You either figure out how to deal with it, and quick, and show up for formation on time and perform your duties as best you can, or they will show you the door. As in the out-of-the-service door.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

Not really. Trump had no reason to say what he did - he was either mis/uninformed, or just flat out lied. He has done far more for the military in 16 months than the obamas of the world did in eight years, so just leave it at that, but super egoman just can't for whatever reason. Trump has done a pretty good job so far, overall, and those graduates at USNA know that, but they also know when they are being fed a line of BS about pay raises.

Hijinx

If I may ...

Have to agree. And these are the folk that quickly learn that though they might have a girlfriend/new wife, or whatever, with or without a kid on the way, money problems, relationship issues, the leadership really couldn't care less. You either figure out how to deal with it, and quick, and show up for formation on time and perform your duties as best you can, or they will show you the door. As in the out-of-the-service door.

If they go into the service with all of those problems they are screw-ups anyway, and certainly had better learn quick that the military will not excuse tardiness.
Some learn and some don.t

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
.... (2) a girlfriend-now-wife who's about six months pregnant and maybe not having a high school diploma

Stripper from the local Gentleman's Club, that has been plowed more that than a corn field

PeoplesElbow

I know a 2nd class that just bout a $65k truck. :otter:

PsyOps

Pixelated

Yeah, because that's how I operate :rolleyes:

I served for 20 years, and for many of those years I 'bitched' about how the military lags behind inflation when it comes to pay raises. My bitching about Trump is bragging that it's some big thing. It's pathetic. Out troops volunteer, go to the most dangerous places in the world, and get chump change for it. Trump talks about taking care of our troops - with a 2.4% raise? I happen to think it's worth bitching about - that is... if you give a damn about our troops.

BOP

Yeah, because that's how I operate :rolleyes:

I served for 20 years, and for many of those years I 'bitched' about how the military lags behind inflation when it comes to pay raises. My bitching about Trump is bragging that it's some big thing. It's pathetic. Out troops volunteer, go to the most dangerous places in the world, and get chump change for it. Trump talks about taking care of our troops - with a 2.4% raise? I happen to think it's worth bitching about - that is... if you give a damn about our troops.

I think it's worth bitching about. I've seen shipmates on food stamps, fer crissakes! Here's the thing: Congress controls the money, doesn't matter what the President puts in the budget. He can certainly influence the final budget (yeah, right...when was the last time they passed an actual budget?), but ultimately, your friendly local Congress-critter is the tree you should be barking up.