Lymes in kids!

hotcoffee

it took us this long to get a diagnosis... what about the kids?

Does anyone know how many children there are in Southern Maryland that are being treated for Lymes? Does anyone know how our numbers [children with lymes] stack up per-capita to other areas?

Does anyone know where there is a list of symptoms of Lymes in Children?

Does anyone know of a pediatrician who is dealing with Lymes?

I'm waiting for my next visit to Dr. Cafferty.... not feeling so well lately.... but that has been making me think of the kids... I have short term memory loss [now one of my biggest complaints... right up there with the neck pain, joint aches and head aches] so I can't remember to tell him what's going on without notes.... :coffee:

But what about the kids... how do they tell us what's going on with them.... it took us this long to get a diagnosis... what about the kids?

jsouthan

it took us this long to get a diagnosis... what about the kids?

Does anyone know how many children there are in Southern Maryland that are being treated for Lymes? Does anyone know how our numbers [children with lymes] stack up per-capita to other areas?

Does anyone know where there is a list of symptoms of Lymes in Children?

Does anyone know of a pediatrician who is dealing with Lymes?

I'm waiting for my next visit to Dr. Cafferty.... not feeling so well lately.... but that has been making me think of the kids... I have short term memory loss [now one of my biggest complaints... right up there with the neck pain, joint aches and head aches] so I can't remember to tell him what's going on without notes.... :coffee:

But what about the kids... how do they tell us what's going on with them.... it took us this long to get a diagnosis... what about the kids?

Both of my kids were treated for Lyme Disease at some point by their pediatrician (Bayshore Pediatrics). They were a little conservative, but one of my kids had a bulls-eye (across his face!) and the other had a tick that had been on for a few days before we found it, so they went ahead and started the antibiotics while they did the test, so I was happy with their treatment. My kids were treated quickly and did not have any lingering effects. I should include that I was treated by Dr. Cafferty for neurologic Lyme myself with a PICC line for 3 months, as well as additional treatments in the months after for the linger neurological effects. 3 years later, I am doing much better. I am now what I like to refer to as "tick phobic", so anytime my kids have a tick, I am watching them like a hawk. My kids are so used to it by now, they actually ask me to do tick checks on them. :lmao: I know Dr. Cafferty is a family physician, so I am sure he would run the tests on your kids if you were worried. Otherwise, I would work with your pediatrician if there was something in particular you were concerned about. Good luck.

hotcoffee

Both of my kids were treated for Lyme Disease at some point by their pediatrician (Bayshore Pediatrics). They were a little conservative, but one of my kids had a bulls-eye (across his face!) and the other had a tick that had been on for a few days before we found it, so they went ahead and started the antibiotics while they did the test, so I was happy with their treatment. My kids were treated quickly and did not have any lingering effects. I should include that I was treated by Dr. Cafferty for neurologic Lyme myself with a PICC line for 3 months, as well as additional treatments in the months after for the linger neurological effects. 3 years later, I am doing much better. I am now what I like to refer to as "tick phobic", so anytime my kids have a tick, I am watching them like a hawk. My kids are so used to it by now, they actually ask me to do tick checks on them. :lmao: I know Dr. Cafferty is a family physician, so I am sure he would run the tests on your kids if you were worried. Otherwise, I would work with your pediatrician if there was something in particular you were concerned about. Good luck.

My daughter is 16.... I was thinking of the kids in the neighborhood, the kids in the local schools... kids in general....

Some people don't get the bullseye rash....

Since you have suffered through the neurologic lymes [I'm going through the treatment now.... and don't wan the pic...] you will understand... what if a kid got it.... and wasn't diagnosed so easily .....

jsouthan

My daughter is 16.... I was thinking of the kids in the neighborhood, the kids in the local schools... kids in general....

Some people don't get the bullseye rash....

Since you have suffered through the neurologic lymes [I'm going through the treatment now.... and don't wan the pic...] you will understand... what if a kid got it.... and wasn't diagnosed so easily .....

I think this comes down to parents needing more education on what the symptoms are, what tests are available, what to look for.... education, education, education. Most people that I talk to are shocked to find out that you don't have to have a bulls-eye rash to have Lyme disease. I never had it, nor did my daughter. Perhaps you could work with an LD organization to get some good information distributed through the school. It's pretty easy actually... if you want something to go to all the elementary schools, you just have to send a copy to the Board of Ed and have them approve it. Perhaps the organization would be willing to foot the bill for the copying because you do have to do the copying and take it to the schools, but getting the information out would be worth it, I would think.

Purplefox

I AM an enigma
I think this comes down to parents needing more education on what the symptoms are, what tests are available, what to look for.... education, education, education. Most people that I talk to are shocked to find out that you don't have to have a bulls-eye rash to have Lyme disease. I never had it, nor did my daughter. Perhaps you could work with an LD organization to get some good information distributed through the school. It's pretty easy actually... if you want something to go to all the elementary schools, you just have to send a copy to the Board of Ed and have them approve it. Perhaps the organization would be willing to foot the bill for the copying because you do have to do the copying and take it to the schools, but getting the information out would be worth it, I would think.

Yeah, good luck with that! I hate to be a sceptic, but I think the BOE would check first with the CDC BEFORE handing out any info on the disease and the CDC is STILL going off protocol that was initially approved some 20 years ago! They DO NOT want to shine light on just exactly what Lyme is.... AN EPIDEMIC!!

You could try to get the schools to disseminate the info, but I would bet you dimes to donuts that they will pass.

By the way: I would LOVE to be proved wrong.

smilin

BOXER NATION
I've had it twice and one of my sons has taken antibiotics three times. Not good.
You would think there would some sort of concerted effort to educate the public, especially since we have one of the highest concentration of cases in the country.

My DOG has had it too and now gets a shot every year!
:coffee:

hotcoffee

You would think there would some sort of concerted effort to educate the public, especially since we have one of the highest concentration of cases in the country.

Were did you get that information? That's what I'm looking for facts and figures.... concrete information in black and white.... Local people with local numbers written in plain language so that people with short term memory loss... like me :coffee:... can't forget something important or leave something out....

Yeah, good luck with that! I hate to be a sceptic, but I think the BOE would check first with the CDC BEFORE handing out any info on the disease and the CDC is STILL going off protocol that was initially approved some 20 years ago! They DO NOT want to shine light on just exactly what Lyme is.... AN EPIDEMIC!!

You could try to get the schools to disseminate the info, but I would bet you dimes to donuts that they will pass.

By the way: I would LOVE to be proved wrong.

I really think the BOE would have to go to the Health Dept at least.... and from what I understand, the Health Dept is holding down the numbers by rejecting the majority of the cases Doctors report....

I would love to take this information to the PTA.... parents in the schools every day.... the PTA in Calvert County use to be one of the strongest and successful lobbyist groups in the State.....

Watcha think?

smilin

BOXER NATION
Were did you get that information? That's what I'm looking for facts and figures.... concrete information in black and white.... Local people with local numbers written in plain language so that people with short term memory loss... like me :coffee:... can't forget something important or leave something out....

CDC web site: State by state, it's pretty sobering when you think most people don't have a clue.
(Had to edit this when I read the following disclaimer:
Note: CDC says Lyme disease is underated and that only 10% of cases meeting it's criteria are reported... Lyme Disease Association )

Total cases last year in the US: 27,444
Maryland: 2,576

DVBID: Cases by State | CDC Lyme Disease

I saw one map which showed Southern Maryland along with Howard county being at the top of reported cases in the state.

Last edited:

hotcoffee

CDC web site: State by state, it's pretty sobering when you think most people don't have a clue.
(Had to edit this when I read the following disclaimer:
Note: CDC says Lyme disease is underated and that only 10% of cases meeting it's criteria are reported... Lyme Disease Association )

Total cases last year in the US: 27,444
Maryland: 2,576

DVBID: Cases by State | CDC Lyme Disease

I saw one map which showed Southern Maryland along with Howard county being at the top of reported cases in the state.

thanks...

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Hubs and I have both been treated, hubs twice now. My daughter (12) was feeling feverish, and had a bullseye rash, when tested it was Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, NOT Lymes.

Those blood tests cost close to 600.00!! I got the bill when the docs office didn't enter insurance info when they ordered the test from LabCorp for hubs second test. :faint:

I think it should be a routine part of all physicals in hot spot areas like here.

hotcoffee

Hubs and I have both been treated, hubs twice now. My daughter (12) was feeling feverish, and had a bullseye rash, when tested it was Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, NOT Lymes.

Those blood tests cost close to 600.00!! I got the bill when the docs office didn't enter insurance info when they ordered the test from LabCorp for hubs second test. :faint:

I think it should be a routine part of all physicals in hot spot areas like here.

Great idea!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Great idea!
I think the first test covers all tick borne diseases, and the repeat includes the western blot. Hub's second test included the western blot. i have to go back in to rechecked since I'm finished the doxy now. i'm guessing they'll do the western blot on me this time. that's only necessary for someone who had the vaccine (no longer in use due to all the adverse reactions) or has had lymes.

M

MEJABoxers

another LD support group forming....

Hi everyone! There is another support group JUST forming, it is being started as ONLINE only, for the time being until the "kinks" are worked out. (Most of us go to the Support Group at the Calvert hospital as well.) The new group is NOT for Calvert County residents only, ANYONE can join in. You can't get enough info on LD. If we get enough people into this group it could branch out!
Here is the link: CalvertCountyLyme :