Lynch Interview

Elle

Happy Camper!
I just hope since it is Vetern's Day that she will remember her "brothers and sisters".:rolleyes:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Don't you guys kind of feel sorry for this girl? I mean, she's just a kid. She certainly didn't ask to be captured and I doubt she hired someone to get her all this media attention. Notice the media isn't making a big deal out of any of the other POWs?

She's a kid from a rural area who suddenly been thrust into the public eye, through no fault of her own. If she can make a buck or two, I think that's a good thing.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
No, I don't feel sorry for her, to be perfectly honest. And I feel that way because being captured (though not a hopeful occurence) is a possible one when you join the service. And she obviously has hired someone to manage all this media attention for her. She didn't negotiate the contract for her million dollar book deal and the interview by herself, I'm sure.

I think the others who survived are laying low and out of the limelight because (as I would imagine) it's hard to be out there selling yourself as a hero when your brothers and sisters died next to you. :ohwell:

I think the whole "she's a hero" thing has the slight smell of :bs:, but that's JMO.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Originally posted by vraiblonde
She's a kid from a rural area who suddenly been thrust into the public eye, through no fault of her own. If she can make a buck or two, I think that's a good thing.

Thank you..

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Good Lord, get a grip. She's a victim. She's being made the poster child for the "good" thing that came out of this war. I don't believe she's called herself a hero, I believe that name has been assigned to her. Sure, she's getting advice. Haven't you ever seen the poor families who lose someone to malpractice show up weeks later with their attorney flanking them announcing their multimillion dollar lawsuit? What's the difference?

And you really think she knew what to expect? Had the U.S. been in a war conflict for her to base her wartime expectations on in her lifetime...or at least so she could actually grasp what happened??

Oh yeah, and she was in a group that was, according to some, where the less intelligent soldiers were placed. And that justifies her being captured?

More power to her.

crabcake

Originally posted by cariblue
Yeah, she probably had it all lined up before she even left for Iraq. Her capture, the media attention, the book deal, the interview, etc. What a manipulative little booger.

:rolleyes:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by crabcake
No, I don't feel sorry for her, to be perfectly honest. And I feel that way because being captured (though not a hopeful occurence) is a possible one when you join the service. And she obviously has hired someone to manage all this media attention for her. She didn't negotiate the contract for her million dollar book deal and the interview by herself, I'm sure.

I think the others who survived are laying low and out of the limelight because (as I would imagine) it's hard to be out there selling yourself as a hero when your brothers and sisters died next to you. :ohwell:

I think the whole "she's a hero" thing has the slight smell of :bs:, but that's JMO.

I have personally known several people who have joined the service because it was the ONLY way they could possibly get somewhere in life. What do you do when you're from small town WV without a lot of money after highschool. Let's say you're average or even slightly above average, that's not enough for colleges to be throwing scholarships down your throat, especially not full rides, mom and dad never made enough money to pay for your school, you're not even near enough a place with decent enough jobs to start at entry level. You go into the military with hopes of making something of yourself.

True you go in knowing you could go to war. But even if that happens what are your chances of getting killed in that war? Pretty slim I'd say. How many people are in our nations military opposed to how many people are killed. Besides even if you take the war/death thing into consideration do you really thing people think about "Oh my God what if we go to war and I get captured and tortured?" I think considering war and death is a lot more common and reasonable then capture. That being said, if she was killed then none of this would be happening. I guess you'd rather that?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by crabcake
No, I don't feel sorry for her, to be perfectly honest. And I feel that way because being captured (though not a hopeful occurence) is a possible one when you join the service.
Getting squished by a semi is possible once you decide to drive your car, however we still feel sympathy when it happens.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by pixiegirl
I have personally known several people who have joined the service because it was the ONLY way they could possibly get somewhere in life.
I have as well and I also know a few that went into the service way back when to avoid going to jail.

crabcake

Originally posted by cattitude
Good Lord, get a grip. She's a victim. She's being made the poster child for the "good" thing that came out of this war. I don't believe she's called herself a hero, I believe that name has been assigned to her. Sure, she's getting advice. Haven't you ever seen the poor families who lose someone to malpractice show up weeks later with their attorney flanking them announcing their multimillion dollar lawsuit? What's the difference?

I don't need "a grip" but thanks. Yes, I agree she was a victim. She was injured during the war (won't get into why she was captured, though.) I didn't say she hailed herself as a hero, but she's willingly riding the wave. Sure it's good to get advice on things. And if I were her PR manager, I'd advise her that it'd be in her best interest to share the spotlight she is obviously continuing to seek with those who shared the events of the capture with her to prevent from casting the very appearance she has with this POA.

And you really think she knew what to expect? Had the U.S. been in a war conflict for her to base her wartime expectations on in her lifetime...or at least so she could actually grasp what happened??

Gulf War was only 13 years ago. :shrug: And she wanted to be a teacher, so I would hope she was at least somewhat familiar with history. If she didn't familiarize herself with what she could expect joining the service, too bad so sad. I did, so deployments, MREs, PT, and sleeping in the woods wasn't much of a secret. Neither was the possibility of war or capture. :ohwell:

Oh yeah, and she was in a group that was, according to some, where the less intelligent soldiers were placed. And that justifies her being captured? More power to her.

I didn't say that. When you are in a unit, it's an "all for one" effort (even though the army slogan is "army of one" :duh:. It's not one person's fault their unit failed. It's the unit's fault and the leader's fault they were lost. Period.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Getting squished by a semi is possible once you decide to drive your car, however we still feel sympathy when it happens.

Getting shot by the sniper getting gas for that car was possible too. :biggrin:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by justhangn
I have as well and I also know a few that went into the service way back when to avoid going to jail.

That's way back when. How old is the girl? That's not why she went in. :razz2:

http

Don't you guys kind of feel sorry for this girl? I mean, she's just a kid. She certainly didn't ask to be captured and I doubt she hired someone to get her all this media attention. Notice the media isn't making a big deal out of any of the other POWs?

So what? Live by the public eye, get strung out on drugs and become a Hollywoood deadbeat loser by the public eye. Her story, the REAL story is about as exciting as a lighting a firecracker up a frog's a-hole, and she knows it.

How's this for a book.

*The wheels of the convoy given to 18 year old high school dropouts because the real drivers were too fatigued to carry on.

*Of course the high school dropouts get lost.

*Can't operate their guns.

*Run off the road.

*Rescued by Iraqi's who treat them in hospital, and keep them fed, clothed and warm until the American authorities can bring them home.

*And everyone tried to sensationalize the story.

Yea that's real exciting.