M&M's Candy Fades to Black and White

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
NEW YORK - M&M's, the colorful button-shaped candies, are about to go off color for the first time in 60 years, but it remains to be seen whether their fans love or hate the change.

The chocolate-filled sugar-coated candies, made by a division of U.S. confectioner Mars Inc., will be available in only black and white for the next few months instead of the standard six colors as part of a promotional campaign.

Mars' Masterfoods USA division, which also markets chocolate brands such as Snickers, will launch the chiaroscuro version in the United States on Dec. 31. But some stores that ran out of the colorful stock have already received supplies of the new variety.

The candy is sold in more than 100 countries, but the black and white ones will be available only in the United States.

"Many tourists from places like London are buying them because it is not available in their country," said Yahya Tai, the owner of a New York City newspaper and candy stand who has started selling the new M&M's.

But the company plans to bring back the colored candy to the market after the promotion runs its course in a few months.

"You are going to have people who are shocked and they are going to be miss their regular favorite colors," said M&M's spokesman Jeffrey Moran. "As long as we can tell them the colors are eventually going to come back, they will be pretty happy."

Elle

Happy Camper!
:cheesy:And just in time for all the newly engaged couples to stock up for wedding favors!!!!!!

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by tys_mommy
:cheesy:And just in time for all the newly engaged couples to stock up for wedding favors!!!!!!

how long do they "keep", do ya think? :confused: maybe they could go in a few hope chests too. :biggrin:

Broke90GSX

"You are going to have people who are shocked and they are going to be miss their regular favorite colors," said M&M's spokesman Jeffrey Moran.

What's funny about the story is how people are missing their favorite colors. Hello! They are ALL THE SAME!!!

Rob

B

Bruzilla

I went to buy some M&Ms before Christmas and all I could find at the store were those stuipid black and white ones. I was ticked! Yeah they taste fine, but they looked pretty cheesy in the decorative Christmas jar. I finally found some red & green ones at Wal Mart.

We had a Black and Gold party before the last Steelers playoff game (back when they still made the playoffs), and ordered three pounds of black, gold, and white M&Ms over the internet. The custom colors looked great on the tables.