Maff is Hard...

glhs837

Power with Control
Wait, there's a method that yeilds 16? Division first, then addition, then mutliplication?

Parens - 2+2 =4
Exponenets - none of these
Multiplication - 2 x 4 = 8
Division - 8 /8 = 1
Addition -already did that back in Parens
Subtraction - none of this.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
  1. Parentheses (simplify inside 'em)
  2. Exponents
  3. Multiplication and Division (from left to right)
  4. Addition and Subtraction (from left to right)
8 / 2 (2+2)=
1, simplify what is in the parenthesis first.
8 / 2 (4) =
3a (divide)
4 (2) =
3b Multiply
So a possible third result?! Purple smoke....

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

Wait, there's a method that yeilds 16? Division first, then addition, then mutliplication?

Parens - 2+2 =4
Exponenets - none of these
Multiplication - 2 x 4 = 8
Division - 8 /8 = 1
Addition -already did that back in Parens
Subtraction - none of this.
That's how I learned it....

Obtain the sum of the parentheses (2+2) = 4
Divide next: 8/2 = 4
Multiply: 4 x 4 = 16

--- End of line (MCP)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This really needs to stop. First they confuse our language, now we can't even math right.

All math problems should have ONE solution, and it shouldn't involve a bunch of rigamarole to get it. "I'm sorry, before you can solve this simple equation, you must first know about 8 million different rules that we've made up for no apparent reason except that we like to **** with you."

Without those 'rules', we never would have landed a man on the moon. More likely a crash landing in the Artic.

Yooper

This really needs to stop. First they confuse our language, now we can't even math right.

All math problems should have ONE solution, and it shouldn't involve a bunch of rigamarole to get it. "I'm sorry, before you can solve this simple equation, you must first know about 8 million different rules that we've made up for no apparent reason except that we like to **** with you."
Why I failed HS math: they started talking about Reverse Polish Notation! I couldn't handle ANY MORE RULES!

--- End of line (MCP)

gemma_rae

One thing is universal, no matter how many MPD's Transtupidus has, they always add up to a big Zero.:drummer:

Reactions: BOP

Yooper

:lol: I used to have a calculator for that... I hated it.
You had a calculator...?

We weren't even allowed to use slide rules (yes, I was in one of the last class years in my school district where they taught slide rule basics).

Gee, this must be what it feels like to be old. On the plus side, the music back then is far superior to the stuff today. And yes, get off my lawn!

--- End of line (MCP)

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Well there goes the theory of math being a universal language! What if the aliens have an unknown third way of doing this problem. What if it equals 8? For me the answer is 16.

8÷2=4+
(2+2)=4

Figuring from a vertical viewpoint. Got to be careful of those aliens.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You had a calculator...?

We weren't even allowed to use slide rules (yes, I was in one of the last class years in my school district where they taught slide rule basics).

Gee, this must be what it feels like to be old. On the plus side, the music back then is far superior to the stuff today. And yes, get off my lawn!

--- End of line (MCP)
Did you also have an abacus?

Yooper

If I may ...

Well there goes the theory of math being a universal language! What if the aliens have an unknown third way of doing this problem. What if it equals 8? For me the answer is 16.

8÷2=4+
(2+2)=4

Figuring from a vertical viewpoint. Got to be careful of those aliens.
So maybe those evil aliens will go to a completely different part of the galaxy when they decode the Voyager message? Or that "Star Trek: the Movie" will never happen?

--- End of line (MCP)