Maff is Hard...

This_person

Nah. Could never get a bead on one of those.:drummer: (Been wanting to use this emoji all day!)

--- End of line (MCP)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
There are 2 correct answers depending on where you learned math. PEMDAS results in "1", BODMAS results in 16.
BUZZER PEMDAS gets you the same correct answer if you implement PEMDAS correctly...

It ain't hard, not like Renal Calculus hard

itsbob

I bowl overhand
  1. Parentheses (simplify inside 'em)
  2. Exponents
  3. Multiplication and Division (from left to right)
  4. Addition and Subtraction (from left to right)
8 / 2 (2+2)=
1, simplify what is in the parenthesis first.
8 / 2 (4) =
3a (divide)
4 (2) =
3b Multiply
Where did you (4) magically become (2)??

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I learned it so that the answer comes out as "16." Didn't realize that it could be solved differently. Interesting to see how "1" could be the answer.

Learned something (still like the method that yields "16," though).

Thanks!

--- End of line (MCP)
Only ONE right answer, it can't be solved differently to come to another correct answer..

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Only ONE right answer, it can't be solved differently to come to another correct answer..
That would be "16," right? (Please let it be so; otherwise I'm gonna sue my school district!)

But if your assertion is correct - that's there's only one correct answer - why so much debate?

--- End of line (MCP)

BernieP

Resident PIA
Wait, there's a method that yeilds 16? Division first, then addition, then mutliplication?

Parens - 2+2 =4
Exponenets - none of these
Multiplication - 2 x 4 = 8
Division - 8 /8 = 1
Addition -already did that back in Parens
Subtraction - none of this.
Np, according to the rules, multiplication and division are the same priority, operate left to right.
I forget the original question, but recall the left to right portion, not multiplication over division or vice versa.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
That would be "16," right? (Please let it be so; otherwise I'm gonna sue my school district!)

But if your assertion is correct - that's there's only one correct answer - why so much debate?

--- End of line (MCP)
Yes 16

MiddleGround

I get 6

8 / 2(2+2)

First simplify the parenthesis CORRECTLY:

8 / 2 x 2 + 2 x 2 = 8 / 4 + 4

Second, divide:

8 / 4 + 4 = 2 + 4

Finally, you add:

2 + 4 = 6