Make sure to check you trailer!

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Quarter Chat Archives – America’s Horse Daily

Just posting this because this could happen to any of us. Make sure to check your rig and the weight load. Such a tragedy to lose such a horse of high standing in the AQHA.

Thats awful!!
:bawl:

It is also a good thing to check out the brakes on the horse trailers.
You wouldn't believe how many folks are pulling their trailers with little or NO brakes.

:whistle:

Last edited:

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
My trailer is going in to be serviced soon. I do it yearly. I am a couple months late this year...but it is getting in.

Also...get your tires checked. The trailer tires do dry-rot even though they may not be old. I replaced all 4 of my tires this spring due to dry rot.

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Thats awful!!
:bawl:

It is also a good thing to check out the breaks on the horse trailers.
You wouldn't believe how many folks are pulling their trailers with little or NO breaks.

:whistle:

Terrible story, I can't imagine the fear and pain those poor horses felt in that overturned trailer. Good point about the brakes. I told my hubby we need a new trailer just the other day. It's rated for 2 horses as big as ours but I don't like how it handles with both horses loaded at all. It seems too flimsy and I have serious doubts about hauling more than 1 horse at a time in it. Hubby's horse weighs just shy of 1500lbs and when he is in there too hauling them just a few miles to the vet makes my hair stand on end. :yikes:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I would also check the brakes if I were you...

That's what I said.
:really:

The brakes on the trailer you are pulling should be adjusted adequatly enough to stop the entire rig when you engage the emergency stop system on your trailer brake controller .
On my model, I can use the manual slide switch to activate the trailer brakes.
You should be able to stop the whole rig, trailer and tow vehicle, with just the trailer brakes.
Also, check out the controller for operation. They sometimes malfunction.
I have seen many people,(mostly towing boats), have their trailer swing around to meet them on the highway when they tried to stop suddenly. (A few of them splintered into bits and pieces). NOT PRETTY!

Last edited:

fredsaid2

That what I said.
:really:

The breaks on the trailer you are pulling should be adjusted adequatly enough to stop the entire rig when you engage the emergency stop system on your trailer break controller .
On my model, I can use the manual slide switch to activate the trailer brakes.
You should be able to stop the whole rig, trailer and to vehicle, with just the trailer brakes.
Also, check out the controller for operation. They sometimes malfunction.
I have seen many people,(mostly towing boats), have their trailer swing around to meet them on the highway when they tried to stop suddenly. (A few of them splintered into bits and pieces). NOT PRETTY!

breaks - brakes, two different things....

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Also driving with little or no brakes on your trailer will wear the breaks much quicker on your tow vehicle. It can also cause your T.V. brakes to heat up and (craze or glaze) sp? over which can ruin even new breaks.

Last edited:

mingiz

Horse Poor
Also for you GN owners make sure that you keep your coupler greased. If it dries out it will cause wear inside the coupler(metal on metal) If the ball in the bed is dry that is a good sign that it is time to grease your stuff. Another main thing to remember is to check the air in tires before you tow. A trailer setting will lose air pressure...Those with LQ's the list grows....:popcorn:

appaholic

Also for you GN owners make sure that you keep your coupler greased. If it dries out it will cause wear inside the coupler(metal on metal) If the ball in the bed is dry that is a good sign that it is time to grease your stuff. Another main thing to remember is to check the air in tires before you tow. A trailer setting will lose air pressure...Those with LQ's the list grows....:popcorn:

My Hubby always complains that the LQ is checking the house out in mini form plus the checking of the trailer/truck and then there is the DANG HORSES! Which I am sure makes him wish all sorts of NICE things!:whistle:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
How much was the fine for hauling a faulty trailer?

Luckily this time it was just a horse.. thank doG they didn't hit an oncoming car and take out an entire family..

I guess the victims wouldn't be as dead if they were killed by a wayward trailer instead of by someone DUI..

mingiz

Horse Poor

Luckily this time it was just a horse.. thank doG they didn't hit an oncoming car and take out an entire family..

I guess the victims wouldn't be as dead if they were killed by a wayward trailer instead of by someone DUI..

This was a freak thing. The trailer wasn't faulty. It was the hitch receiver that gave out. The people that owned this horse had the best of the best of everything for thier horses. Just a sad thing that happened..:popcorn:

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)

Faulty motorhome not trailer. The hitch receiever under the motorhome was bad so everything would have came back on the motorhome company and honestly they should pay for the horse owners expenses in the hospital.

It just wasn't a horse, it was one of the best. To win World in Showmanship is a big honor. and honestly, that horse probably cost and/or is worth more than you make in a year.

mingiz

Horse Poor
My Hubby always complains that the LQ is checking the house out in mini form plus the checking of the trailer/truck and then there is the DANG HORSES! Which I am sure makes him wish all sorts of NICE things!:whistle:

I hear that..:killingme My LQ just cost me a new 2 way fridge and a tire and now :cds: the batteries are getting weak...I could have gotten a nice fridge for the house for what the RV one cost me....But every camping trip makes it worth all the aggravation.....:yahoo: