Make your case...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...your challenge is to name a place you highly recommend and why. Note the name of this forum; travel.

It doesn't have to be a tourist destination. In fact, for my money, best if it's not but, again, make your case. Needs to be somewhere you've been and would readily go back.

The parameters;

Well, ideally, it's a trip most people could reasonably afford, would fit in a week, out and back, but, again, make your case. If it would take an extra week, but make all the difference between epic and a bleh trip, so be it. Sell it but, be honest and thorough, the good and the bad. And you're not trying to talk someone who loves Manhattan into visiting Ajo, Arizona. Describe who your place is for, and not for. And why, what, where, when, all of that.

Does not have to be specific like which hotel or what have you. Unless you want it to.

Ready? Begin!

:popcorn:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic - I would happily move there and live there forever if I could. The people are beautiful, so very friendly, generous and more. That's a big part of a vacation experience for me. It's an up and coming third world nation that seems to be doing the right things. Controlling their natural areas while enticing businesses. I wish I had the money to get in on the ground floor with that. There are many expats (Europeans) living there and this just really has a great vibe, but seems very neglected by American tourists while being a huge hit with the Germans. Beautiful sandy white beaches, crystal clear turquoise waters. Mountains and green lush jungle. Cigar making and coffee growing is big in the northern part of the country.

Closeby - Winchester, VA - Again I love the locals and the natural beauty of the area. At the same time as being historical it also has an artsy vibe to me. There's also something about the area, though markedly smaller, that reminds me of Savannah. There's a ton to do from wine trails to historical sites to art shows. There's a very relaxed pace to the area and that's great for a vacation too. Especially one that's close and relatively inexpensive.

Orlando, Florida - Really do I need to say it? It has everything that a tourist could ever want, while at the same time, if you hang out with the locals and ask where they go and what they do, you can find some awesome restaurants and places to go. We found the best cigar bar / restaurant from local recommendations.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hit the road, Jack, and go where the day takes you.

Go as far from home as you want to, take as long as you can, stop whenever you see something interesting. It can be as cheap or expensive as you can afford. The small pleasures that are tucked away in this country...picturesque little towns, historic sites, offbeat tourist attractions; things you have no idea even exist.

This is probably an adult trip and not something you'd want to do with kids. I did it solo and had a blast, but there were definitely times I wished I had someone with me to share it. (But most of the time I was thrilled to not have to compromise with anyone except the dog.)

Forget vacation spots - this whole country is a vacation spot and I haven't seen but a teeny little bit of it.

musiclady

Big Island, Hawaii - forget the island hopping or cruise around, stay on the island and see what it has to offer. Snorkeling, scuba, swimming with manta rays, green sea turtles, hiking old lava tubes, coffee, gorgeous waterfalls, an active volcano and state park, play ukelele with the locals, an awesome observatory, green sand, black sand, beaches everywhere, botanical gardens, even a horse farm, probably forgetting many other things. Most are free or cheap! Biggest expense was getting there. Shared a cheap hotel, rented a car and went everywhere around the island. Go in the off season, still warm and less tourists.

citysherry

I Need a Beer
Telluride, CO! Absolutely loved it...we played hard outdoors all day long...ski/snowboarding, hiking trails, snowmobiling, etc., then kicked back and relaxed at night with good food, wine and new friends which we met while sking. Great bars, restaurants and shopping.

thurley42

HY;FR
Israel, you can see everything in 3-4 days...and what's more non touristy than the chance of being blown up in a rocket attack!

I got to visit for a few weeks in 1999, still the coolest place I've ever been.:buddies:

Hessian

Whoa,...think Recession budget people!

How about a 6 hour run south to the Innerbanks.
Town of Washington has a waterfront better than Solomon's and a new Tidal Estuarium...make it memorable with a cruise of the Pamlico.

Then down to Bath to walk through a miniature colonial style town where Blackbeard hung out & spend an hour in the visitor center/museum.

Take the Ferry (free) then drive to Oriental for sea food & waterfront & relaxing community

Drive up to New Bern for shopping, museums, etc...

Take about three days and just enjoy a semi-rural section of East Carolina.
Warm days in Early December make it perfect down there...they are even having 300 year anniversary celebrations.
Enjoy...Hessian

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Barbados. Avoid the tourist attractions and opt for a smaller venue. We stayed in some fully furnished apts. for next to nothing. Rent a mook and drive around the island, it's small. The flying fish sammich grilled with Bajan spices is to die for.

The island of Dominica is also gorgeous. Very floral.

dontknowwhy

Great Mills Rd. There's this Tippett girl that walks up & down there. Just her antics alone can keep you entertained for hours on end...

I don't get out of the County very often...

Hank

my war
...your challenge is to name a place you highly recommend and why. Note the name of this forum; travel.

It doesn't have to be a tourist destination. In fact, for my money, best if it's not but, again, make your case. Needs to be somewhere you've been and would readily go back.

The parameters;

Well, ideally, it's a trip most people could reasonably afford, would fit in a week, out and back, but, again, make your case. If it would take an extra week, but make all the difference between epic and a bleh trip, so be it. Sell it but, be honest and thorough, the good and the bad. And you're not trying to talk someone who loves Manhattan into visiting Ajo, Arizona. Describe who your place is for, and not for. And why, what, where, when, all of that.

Does not have to be specific like which hotel or what have you. Unless you want it to.

Ready? Begin!

:popcorn:

Outside USA : Prague / Czech Republic

Inside USA : Lake Tahoe

I don't feel like explaining, just trust me...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
We did the Azores (San Miguel) for a day and LOVED it. We really want to go back in the Spring to see the place in bloom as all their fences and property borders seemed to be some kind or another of blooming bush.

BEAUTIFUL tour from a local that owns a taxi.. went places the tour busses couldn't go..

Just a BEAUTIFUL quiet, green island 4 hours from Boston by air.

Hundreds of places in Germany that I'd love to go and show BG and Bubba..

Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria...

Rothenburg, a walled city where you can buy a real suit of armor, and the only city in Germany that protected it's Jewish Citizens during Hitler's reign..

Coburg.. I think is where there is a castle whose king was a midget, or dwarf or little person, whatever the PC term is today.. and they have his armor on display..

Motorcylce tour of the Alps (never been, but one can dream)..

Op Alpha Museum in Radsdorf

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
We did the Azores (San Miguel) for a day and LOVED it. We really want to go back in the Spring to see the place in bloom as all their fences and property borders seemed to be some kind or another of blooming bush.

BEAUTIFUL tour from a local that owns a taxi.. went places the tour busses couldn't go..

Just a BEAUTIFUL quiet, green island 4 hours from Boston by air.

Hundreds of places in Germany that I'd love to go and show BG and Bubba..

Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria...

Rothenburg, a walled city where you can buy a real suit of armor, and the only city in Germany that protected it's Jewish Citizens during Hitler's reign..

Coburg.. I think is where there is a castle whose king was a midget, or dwarf or little person, whatever the PC term is today.. and they have his armor on display..

Op Alpha Museum in Radsdorf

I have done all three (minus the motorcycle) and would highly recommend them all. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I want to take my girl to Europe to see some of the things I have. :yay:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Rothenburg, a walled city where you can buy a real suit of armor, and the only city in Germany that protected it's Jewish Citizens during Hitler's reign.. Friends were there last April. LOVED it. I would have been there save for this flower business and the time of year :banghead:

Yup on that last!!!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Yup on that last!!!

Local delerships, both Morton's and Bob's support motorcylce tour trips a couple times a year. Edelweiss is the name of the company and it's all inclusive. Bikes, lodging, food.. plus free exploring time.

I read the blog on one of them, and this particular tour had all the BMW models represented. When you stopped for the night, or to eat there was no 'reserved bike' for individuals but the group had the fleet to choose from. You get out to the fleet and hop on the bike you want for the next leg..

Can't imagine they did a LOT of autobahn driving, or the poor guy on the F650 would be in the back screaming.. "Wait for me.. Wait for me!!" as the 1200's and the 1300's flew away at twice their max speed.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Local delerships, both Morton's and Bob's support motorcylce tour trips a couple times a year. Edelweiss is the name of the company and it's all inclusive. Bikes, lodging, food.. plus free exploring time.

I read the blog on one of them, and this particular tour had all the BMW models represented. When you stopped for the night, or to eat there was no 'reserved bike' for individuals but the group had the fleet to choose from. You get out to the fleet and hop on the bike you want for the next leg..

Can't imagine they did a LOT of autobahn driving, or the poor guy on the F650 would be in the back screaming.. "Wait for me.. Wait for me!!" as the 1200's and the 1300's flew away at twice their max speed.

Yeah, I read about a tour in one of the mags. There's no way my fat ass and partner are going to be doing any bike swapping.

:yahoo:

You see Triumphs new ride?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Yeah, I read about a tour in one of the mags. There's no way my fat ass and partner are going to be doing any bike swapping.

:yahoo:

You see Triumphs new ride?

I did look at the Trophy, and it looks an AWFUL lot like my RT.. like BMW had a hand in designing it/ building it..

All the way to the shape and size of it's side cases and top box, to the adjustable windscreen.. front view.. the way the handlebars are attached..

I guess they needed an extra cylinder to get to the performance level though..

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I did look at the Trophy, and it looks an AWFUL lot like my RT.. like BMW had a hand in designing it/ building it..

All the way to the shape and size of it's side cases and top box, to the adjustable windscreen.. front view.. the way the handlebars are attached..

I guess they needed an extra cylinder to get to the performance level though..

Yeah. I don't get it. I suppose imitation is the sincerest and all that but, damn, to me, there is a spot for someone between RT's/K bikes and Triumphs cruisers. Right now, only Harley does it and the FLHTCU's have got to be the most common bike on the streets and they have weaknesses. Go after them. Not the ones that have their segment locked.

:shrug: