Make your case...

TPD

the poor dad
...your challenge is to name a place you highly recommend and why. Note the name of this forum; travel.

Alaska - it speaks for itself! Denali National Park, Glacier Bay, Fairbanks, whale watching, trekking over glaciers, bear watching. Alaska is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited, but don't cut your time short there. I now understand why people will take the camper up there for 3 to 4 months at a time - so much to see and enjoy!

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
How about a 6 hour run south to the Innerbanks.
Town of Washington has a waterfront better than Solomon's and a new Tidal Estuarium...make it memorable with a cruise of the Pamlico.

Then down to Bath to walk through a miniature colonial style town where Blackbeard hung out & spend an hour in the visitor center/museum.

Take the Ferry (free) then drive to Oriental for sea food & waterfront & relaxing community

Drive up to New Bern for shopping, museums, etc...

Take about three days and just enjoy a semi-rural section of East Carolina.
Warm days in Early December make it perfect down there...they are even having 300 year anniversary celebrations.
Enjoy...Hessian

I've stayed in every one of these towns on our annual sojourns to North Myrtle. The amount of B&Bs in that area is amazing.

MarieB

Some of the best trips that we've had were hitting the road not knowing where we were going to end up, and that was pre-internet and smartphones. I think we only had a map and MAYBE a AAA book, but now that I think about it I doubt we had that. There is so much to see "here." There is also nothing like spending time in a secluded cabin in a beautiful environment if you're into that.

We've also been to the Big Island (beautiful!) and Puerto Vallarto. I've been to Cancun. They are a different kinds of trips.

I think we actually have more memories and laughs from the cheap, get in the car and go trips.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Hit the road, Jack, and go where the day takes you.

Go as far from home as you want to, take as long as you can, stop whenever you see something interesting. It can be as cheap or expensive as you can afford. The small pleasures that are tucked away in this country...picturesque little towns, historic sites, offbeat tourist attractions; things you have no idea even exist.

This is probably an adult trip and not something you'd want to do with kids. I did it solo and had a blast, but there were definitely times I wished I had someone with me to share it. (But most of the time I was thrilled to not have to compromise with anyone except the dog.)

Forget vacation spots - this whole country is a vacation spot and I haven't seen but a teeny little bit of it.

Definitely no kids!

Some of the best trips that we've had were hitting the road not knowing where we were going to end up, and that was pre-internet and smartphones. I think we only had a map and MAYBE a AAA book, but now that I think about it I doubt we had that. There is so much to see "here." There is also nothing like spending time in a secluded cabin in a beautiful environment if you're into that.

We've also been to the Big Island (beautiful!) and Puerto Vallarto. I've been to Cancun. They are a different kinds of trips.

I think we actually have more memories and laughs from the cheap, get in the car and go trips.

We took a week off and went from Salisbury MD to Cape Cod, stayed a few days, and then headed south.

No plans.

Stayed a night in Columbia SC so I could visit my old haunts, Hilton Head and then proceeded to Charleston, Savannah and then home.

No reservations of any kind and just enjoyed the scenery.

I'm old now and would prefer a cruise to nowhere.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Alaska - it speaks for itself! Denali National Park, Glacier Bay, Fairbanks, whale watching, trekking over glaciers, bear watching. Alaska is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited, but don't cut your time short there. I now understand why people will take the camper up there for 3 to 4 months at a time - so much to see and enjoy!

Alaska is truly spectacular. Once you get outside of Anchorage, it's stunningly beautiful. I was lucky enough to drive up from Canada. My favorite destination is the Kenai Peninsula. It's a little less than 300 miles from Seward over to Homer. Plenty of photo ops along the way. June - August is the best time to head up. Lots and lots of daylight that time of year.

Chris0nllyn

Local - Little Orleans, MD. Primitive campsites right on the upper Potomac River. One restaurant/bar/post office/adventure center in "town". Peaceful (minus the trains across the river every hour or so). Great fishing/tubing.

Afar - I'll second Germany. Lake Konstanz, Munich, Stuttgart, etc. (I couldn't tell you anything about northern Germany). Switzerland was real nice as well.

I hear Iceland is nice also. This is where our next trip will be.