Makin' Bacon....

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Can't help but to hear Rob Schneider on SNL saying that..... :lol:

I found a few small pieces of pork belly, so thought I'd try my hand at making some bacon. Instructions seems easy enough. Mix up a few ingredients, let it cure for 10-14 days, smoke or bake a couple of hours, and it's bacon!

Today I took one of the pieces of pork and made the curing mix, vacuum sealed it and into the fridge to cure until the end of the month. I did cheat a bit tho... I only have a BBQ grill, and smoking isn't easy on it, hard to keep a constant temp, etc... but I wanted just a bit of smoke flavor. Recipe says you can use liquid smoke, so I added a few drops to the curing mix. I also cut back on the salt by about a third.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Okay... who was thinking this?

I had a cousin back in the day that had this on a t-shirt.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Let's just see how this one goes first. I'd hate to serve sub-standard stuff. It may take, oh I don't know.... 2 to 3 hundred iterations and variations to get it right.

[burp]
No such thing, even bad bacon is good.

Unless it’s turkey bacon and then it’s evil.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I've got some that is WAY too salty ....... we are going to dice it up and put it in Shredded Potato Pancakes
Now see, I'd be out buying a big old bag of greens and using it for seasoning meat.

Damn, now I have a craving...

rio

I've got some that is WAY too salty ....... we are going to dice it up and put it in Shredded Potato Pancakes
Now see, I'd be out buying a big old bag of greens and using it for seasoning meat.

We get a bit of ham like that from husband's boss every year. Makes the best potato soup, with chopped kale added

stgislander

PREMO Member

We bought small slab of country bacon at the Virginia Farm Store outside of Winchester. There was very little meat in the bacon so we use it exclusively for seasoning.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

We get a bit of ham like that from husband's boss every year. Makes the best potato soup, with chopped kale added
Now that's something I've never tried. I'll bet it's something fit to eat, as my neighbor Ben used to say.