Man charged with child abuse claims Bible permits spanking

slotted

http://www1.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_news/article/0,2545,TCP_16736_4610714,00.html

PORT ST. LUCIE — He struck his 12-year-old daughter with belts because she lied, because her homework was incomplete and because "it is stated in the Bible that it is OK to spank your children," the father told police.

The girl said she was beaten for not reading well enough, for using slang, and for "not accepting Jesus into her heart," police reported.
Over at the J-walk blog, Christians are claiming the following.
"Idiots like this should not be allowed to say they are Christian."

"Let's say the Bible does permit spanking. Leaning your naked 12 year old daughter across a bed and whuppin' her with a belt is not "spanking"."

"Poor little girl. a mother who ignores and a father who beats. Horrible! i hope she can find someone who will give her love and show some faith in her. and this is christianity? more like sataniantity to me!"
At least Allee is setting them straight with a little note that she left for the Christians over there.
Alleee said:
This is perfectly consistent with Christianity. Anyone who doesn't think so is just using wishful thinking. The only things the bible says about how to treat children are beating, stoning, eating, cutting in half, sacrificing and burning the remains, tearing apart by bears, and abandoning.

Don't be fooled into thinking that there's anything remotely positive to children in that book. What, do you think there's any kind of secular reason behind his abuse of his kid? He frigging said it out loud, for cripe's sakes. It's the coward's way out to just say "he wasn't a true christian (tm) like me. There. That takes care of that little problem."

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Toxick said:
Effing Christians.
Evil people, all of them.
:lmao:

Slotted is not trying to start a serious debate about Christianity. As usual, he's trying to get people worked up for no reason. While I have my disagreements and reservations about much of Christian doctrine, I think it's ludicrous to claim that all of Christianity is bad. Mother Teresa and Eric Rudolph belonged to the same religion. Any belief system can be used to help or hurt others. Plenty of people have abused their children without being Christians. It's not necessarily about the belief system, it's about the person.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Matthew 19:13-14

13Then some children were brought to Him so that He might lay His hands on them and pray; and the disciples rebuked them.

14But Jesus said, "Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."
Does the Bible say it is OK to correct your child physically? Yes. One passage even says you can use a rod. But there is a difference between correcting and beating.

Alleee has it out of context like many. The things she quotes are things the Jews, hence Christians, are warned not to do. The only place God asked for a sacrifice of a child was Issac by Abraham, and that was just a test and God provided a ram for the actual sacrifice.

Many people talking about the Bible while knowing very little of it.

slotted

2ndAmendment said:
Does the Bible say it is OK to correct your child physically? Yes. One passage even says you can use a rod. But there is a difference between correcting and beating.

Alleee has it out of context like many. The things she quotes are things the Jews, hence Christians, are warned not to do. The only place God asked for a sacrifice of a child was Issac by Abraham, and that was just a test and God provided a ram for the actual sacrifice.

Many people talking about the Bible while knowing very little of it.
She does go overboard, but I'm willing to bet that she and I both know more than you think.

MMDad

Lem Putt
slotted said:
Over at the J-walk blog, Christians are claiming the following.

The biggest thing this shows is that the majority of Christians are just like the majority of Americans. (weird coincidence, huh?)

Just as most Americans are unaware of what the Constitution actually says, most Christians are not aware of what actually is or isn't in the bible, what part, or context.

And the guy who used the bible as an excuse to whip his child for "not accepting Jesus into her heart" doesn't understand what he is reading either. One of the basic tenets of christianity is that belief must be real. Beatings don't accomplish that.