Man dies after being detained by security @Walmart

somdfunguy

not impressed
LPOs are not trained like police and should not be apprehending someone.

Man dies after being detained by security for shoplifting at Walmart - SGVTribune.com

The incident began when loss prevention officers at Walmart, 1275 N. Azusa Avenue, detained a man on suspicion of shoplifting shortly before 1 p.m., officials said.

"While being detained in the parking lot, the suspect began fighting with the loss prevention personnel," Deputy Peter Gomez of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Headquarter's Bureau said in a written statement.

"When the (police) officers arrived, the suspect was being restrained by loss prevention officers," Gomez said. "The Covina police officers saw the suspect appeared to be in medical distress and called for paramedics to respond."

The police officers were not involved in an altercation with the man, Covina police Lt. Ric Walczak said.

The man was taken to Citrus Valley Medical Center - Inter-Community Campus in Covina where he was pronounced dead a short time later, according to Covina police and coroner's officials.

BOP

These two posts right next to each other:

Marco Alfredo Mitrowke · Let us not judge anyone until all the facts are in.

Matt Cabrera · idiot

:lol:

Katelin

one day the dark will end
So what do we know:
Someone stole something and got in a fight and died.
What did her steal? Meds for a medical condition?
How old?
What did he die from?
So many unanswered questions. This is a non-event until the facts are in.:coffee:

Repost when you have more info.

Roman

The Man probably had a Medical Condition that was going to kill him eventually anyway.

bohman

I don't know how things are done now, but when I worked a wal-mart 15 years ago, the LPO was not a man to be fooled with. He wasn't big or intimidating, he wasn't loud - but when he decided to detain a shoplifter, that's what happened. Plenty of people fought him, but they all wound up in cuffs in the back office awaiting the cops to haul them to jail.

Nobody outran him, either. He once took somebody down that made it all the way across the highway. Picture a chase across the parking lot, across 235, and a tackle in the Chipotle parking lot. :lmao: That's the equivalent of what happened.

I've always thought their anti-theft tactics were a bit harsh (legally speaking, I don't pity the shoplifters) but they will look out for their bottom line, and they can pay for lawyers to defend themselves if crap goes wrong, as it did here. It was a matter of time; you can only tackle so many thieves before one of them dies. :shrug:

Katelin

one day the dark will end
New details emerge .....

Here is some of the update about this case:

His mother said he had just received his government assistance check, so there was no reason for him to steal anything.
Also she said her son wasn't violent or aggressive. He has struggled with alcohol and drugs but was clean and sober and was renting a room in a nearby city.
So, was he conned into stealing by the other 2 with him?

It will be interesting when the cause of death is released. But I doubt no one will ever know what motivated him to steal the items when (per his mother) he had the money to buy.
Sad story.....

Suspected shoplifter who died at Walmart identified, details of death emerge

COVINA - An Azusa man allegedly shoplifted $56 worth of clothing and toiletries from a Walmart before struggling with and being detained by store employees in the parking lot, screaming "I'm dying!, "I'm dying!" while lying facedown and then becoming unresponsive, according to a witness and investigators.

Forty-one minutes after Jose Marcos Picazo walked out of the store at 1275 N. Azusa Ave. with a shopping cart of clothing, the 41-year-old was dead.

More details emerged Tuesday about the 12:50 p.m. Friday incident that ended with Picazo being pronounced dead at Citrus Valley Medical Center - Inter-Community Campus in Covina.

Sheriff's Homicide Lt. Holly Francisco said Picazo was with another man and a woman at the store Friday. She said the three put merchandise in the shopping cart.