Man I hope these catch on!

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Re: GREAT QUESTION!!!

Originally posted by Larry Gude
bottom 20% or so pay NOTHING in federal taxes

Larry, what's your source on that? It's confusing because I've always paid federal taxes, even in my summer minimum-wage jobs during college.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Tonio...

...I'll do some digging if you REALLY want me to but lower income people who use the earned income tax thing actually end up getting more back than they paid in.

A kid wouldn't get this because they're probably on their folks return.

This excludes SS/med of course.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Here's a quickee...

...but it doesn't evaluate the effective rates AFTER returns are done.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/prtopincometable.html

I've read in other places that the bottom portion of earners pay about 18% of their overall income in taxes of some form or other, property, sales, user fees etc. which is fair in that 18% or so is fairly typical of GDP consumed by government less SS/Med over the last 20 years.

But again, that is without accounting for federal and state benefits that the next tier up do not even qualify for.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Thanks, Larry. When I was first on my own, I wasn't earning much, but my income was too high for the Earned Income Tax Credit. In those days, my FICA withholding was almost always higher than my federal income tax withholding.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by vraiblonde

That way the MTV crowd will quit voting! :yay:

There was a big stink about this t-shirt and people going after urban outfitters for selling these -- it was on Fox 5 news this morning. Way to go on being ahead of the curve on this!!:smile:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
'Voting Is for Old People' Shirt Decried

March 2, 2004 10:59 AM EST

WASHINGTON - A Harvard political institute criticized the hip retailer Urban Outfitters for a new T-shirt campaign declaring that "Voting is for Old People."

The institute on Monday chided the Philadelphia-based clothing chain for appearing to wear its apathy on its chest, calling the T-shirt slogan "the wrong statement at the wrong time" in the pivotal presidential election year.

"The shirt's message could not be further from the truth," wrote Harvard Institute of Politics director Dan Glickman, the former congressman and Clinton administration agriculture secretary, and student chairman Ilan Graff in a letter to Urban Outfitters CEO Richard A. Hayne.

"We would be eager to work with you to suggest alternative products that send the right message to America's young people, and better reflect the considerable social conscience and political participation of today's youth," the letter said. "You might consider 'Voting Rocks!'"

Urban Outfitters defended the slogan as a "statement meant to draw attention to the growing rift between politicians and their platforms and the concerns of young people in this country."

"However 'open-ended' and 'ambiguous' some have felt the message to be, by offering it for sale in our stores, we clearly never intended to discourage anyone from actually voting," the company said in a statement.

Between 1972 and 2000, the so-called youth vote - among people aged 18 to 24 - declined by 13 percent in presidential elections, according a September 2002 study by the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement at the University of Maryland.

In 2000, 42 percent of the youth vote turned out at the polls, compared to 70 percent of voters over age 25, the study reported. However, asking a young person to vote raises the likelihood that they will by 8 percent to 12 percent, according to the center's data.

Urban Outfitters operates 60 stores under that name in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. It sells casual clothes, accessories, shoes, gifts and housewares.