Man punches seat back of reclined seat in front of him

Spitfire

“ An airline passenger's video of a man punching the back of her seat sparked an online debate: Is it OK to recline when sitting in economy?

Wendi Williams said on Twitter that she was on an American Airlines flight from New Orleans to Charlotte, North Carolina, when she decided to put her seat in the recline position.

The man behind her responded by repeatedly punching her seat, she wrote.”

The answer is if you’re a paying customer you have every “right” to recline your seat if that is your wont. Just as the person behind you does.

The only reason this dude was doing this was because the person reclining was a female and he knew that he could get away with such anti-social and dickish behavior.

If it had been me in front of him, he would be retrieving his face from the baggage claim at his destination.

I get it, most economy airline seats suck. But if it’s that important to you, there are other classes available to you with more room.

phreddyp

“ An airline passenger's video of a man punching the back of her seat sparked an online debate: Is it OK to recline when sitting in economy?

Wendi Williams said on Twitter that she was on an American Airlines flight from New Orleans to Charlotte, North Carolina, when she decided to put her seat in the recline position.

The man behind her responded by repeatedly punching her seat, she wrote.”

The answer is if you’re a paying customer you have every “right” to recline your seat if that is your wont. Just as the person behind you does.

The only reason this dude was doing this was because the person reclining was a female and he knew that he could get away with such anti-social and dickish behavior.

If it had been me in front of him, he would be retrieving his face from the baggage claim at his destination.

I get it, most economy airline seats suck. But if it’s that important to you, there are other classes available to you with more room.
Give it a rest you wouldn't DO anything And you know it ! All talk and no action.

PeoplesElbow

Certainly it is ok to recline the seat. They only recline a damned little bit anyway.
For someone my height it kills our knees when the person in front just drops the seat back. I don't get a choice how I fly, the government decides.

Mostly I've had good luck with the person in front of me. This one bald dick threw his seat back crushing my knees and refused to raise his seat. I spent 3 miserable hours on that flight. Toward the end of the flight I sneezed and it just happened to come up so suddenly it went right on his bald head.

Clem72

Certainly it is ok to recline the seat. They only recline a damned little bit anyway.

It is of course okay, but if you don't recline and the person in front of you fully reclines, then you lose the use of most of your tray. Not a problem for me, but for all of those guys who are so important they must spend every moment on their laptop it could be an inconvenience. And it also makes it hard for us older/larger guys to get up without also having to pull on the seat in front of us.

glhs837

Power with Control
It is of course okay, but if you don't recline and the person in front of you fully reclines, then you lose the use of most of your tray. Not a problem for me, but for all of those guys who are so important they must spend every moment on their laptop it could be an inconvenience. And it also makes it hard for us older/larger guys to get up without also having to pull on the seat in front of us.

The account I heard made mention of the fact that the lady that she waited until the service was done before reclining. His right to complain ended where her seat began. Ask the FA for a seat change or STFU.

In all cases except one, the person in front turned to me and asked if it was ok to recline. This works a whole lot better than simply reclining and crushing an unexpecting passenger.

I fly Southwest or American, and a seat reclined in front of me is not a big issue.

Hijinx

The airlines could solve this problem.
Make them so they don't recline.
It's not like they recline far enough to make anyone comfortable anyway.
Packed in like sardines is no fun, I hate to fly mainly because of the discomfort.
And i cannot afford to pay 3 times as much for first class.

frequentflier

happy to be living
What a rude, entitled a$$hole! They showed the video on The 5 last night. That woman showed a lot more self control than I would have and the police would have been waiting for me when we landed. He would have needed an ambulance.

Chris0nllyn

For someone my height it kills our knees when the person in front just drops the seat back. I don't get a choice how I fly, the government decides.

Mostly I've had good luck with the person in front of me. This one bald dick threw his seat back crushing my knees and refused to raise his seat. I spent 3 miserable hours on that flight. Toward the end of the flight I sneezed and it just happened to come up so suddenly it went right on his bald head.

I hear you.

I'm 6'-6" and my company would only front economy seats on my flight to Australia.

Lost feeling in my feet a few hours in.

CPUSA

Since HE also is a paying customer, he has the right to practice his drumming techniques wherever he sees fit... I wonder if there was something she could've done to avoid this type of behavior? Hmm??

The only reason this dude was doing this was because the person reclining was a female and he knew that he could get away with such anti-social and dickish behavior. I thought the only reason this Democrat Beta was doing this was because it's REALLY the best way to respond to feminazis who THINK they are better than Democrat Betas...oh, I'm sorry...you said the same thing I did...Democrat Betas...dickish behavior...same thing

ROFLMMFAO!!!...you're not capable of anything close to this statement, you pathetic little Beta!! Now run along & stop pretending to be masculine, cheekpinch

puggymom

I am curious what happened before she started recording. He does does appear to be "punching" it as much as just pushing.
I wish they would just disconnect the recline option so people can't do it. I'm the just because you can doesn't mean you should type.

glhs837

Power with Control
I am curious what happened before she started recording. He does does appear to be "punching" it as much as just pushing.
I wish they would just disconnect the recline option so people can't do it. I'm the just because you can doesn't mean you should type.

According to all accounts, the actual punching of the seatback is what prompted the recording, and and when he saw she was recording, he mellowed a bit.

SamSpade

Same thing on commuter buses - they recline and for many of us, it makes US uncomfortable behind them.
I'm a big guy and my knees stick out a bit in front of me, and I've had the person in front of me CLEARLY pushing as hard as they can to move the seat back - even arching their back to push harder - and it doesn't go anywhere because it is crushing my knees.

I am not sure whose side to take on this, because I see them both as in the wrong. I don't think airline seats should recline, given that the airlines have also decided to cram people in very tightly. Heck, we have one airline proposing seats where people STAND the entire flight - strapped in like some kind of amusement ride. Because they have SO MANY riding in coach, they start making demands of passengers as to how much luggage they can carry on (because there's no room).

For what it's worth - I never put my seat back. I actually HAVE been on the receiving end of some idiot who finished their meal early - and knocked my meal down, despite admonitions NOT to do so. I don't like it done to me, so I don't do it to others. If you can't afford first class, consider buying an empty seat next to you.

But the truth is, I take trains when I can. No long waits in the airport and they are usually on time.

Tech

On the tall side and I do recline but only enough to take it out of the straight upright. Pet peeve are the people who put their bags under their own seats. That's my leg room.

Pete

Repete
Hell yes I recline. It's not like it reclines more than 2 inches anyway. Of course do it slowly. That said I fly a lot of international and the airline gods have mercy and international flights tend to have a tad more room. I always come out of pocket and upgrade on United to get an additional 3 inches of space.

PsyOps

Pixelated
There are some missing elements to this story. This article doesn't talk about that the guy asked her to move her seat up while he ate, which she did. What isn't mention anywhere that I've seen is, after the guy was done eating she reclined back, did he ask her to move her seat back up and she refused; or did he just start with the juvenile punching of her seat?

I've flown enough to know that no one has every asked me permission to recline their seat. I have never asked anyone if it was okay to recline my seat. I have never asked someone not to recline their seat. Of course, I'm not Chris at 6'20". Certainly, if the person behind me was tall and my reclined seat makes them uncomfortable, I'd move it back up.

My think is, why can't people just have some decency and respect for each other? New Orleans to Charlotte is a short flight. This really wasn't something the crew on board couldn't resolve, that they just let two childish people play stubborn?