Man to trade his house for an iPhone 6 because, it's Detroit

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/26719921/detroit-man-wants-to-sell-house-for-new-iphone

DETROIT, Mich. (WJBK) - This east side house in Detroit is definitely for sale. But after months and months on the market and a few price drops, the homeowner isn't after your money.

"It's a real listing," said realtor Larry Else. "My client is overseas and he told me he would be willing to trade the properly for an iPhone 6. It sounds to me like he wants the (iPhone 6+) version, but I think he's willing to negotiate."

The seller will even swap the house for a 32-gigabyte iPad.

The three-bedroom, one-and-a-half bathroom brick colonial on Britain and Lainge is a real fixer-upper. But it does have "gems" as Zillow.com mentions, including a finished basement, a plush garden, and city views from the upper deck.

mamatutu

mama to two
Oh my! I think trading for an IPhone 6 or Ipad is a great deal! A 'real fixer upper'! :lol: So, if someone fixes it up, who is going to fix up the rest of the houses on the street? What a mess Detroit is. Sad, really.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Oh my! I think trading for an IPhone 6 or Ipad is a great deal! A 'real fixer upper'! :lol: So, if someone fixes it up, who is going to fix up the rest of the houses on the street? What a mess Detroit is. Sad, really.

Have you ever watched Rehab Addict? She usually works out of Minneapolis but is from Detroit and occasionally purchases homes to fix up in Detroit as well. She does what she normally does in MN and buys some awful old home that looks straight out of the ghetto with graffiti and boarded up windows, usually on the list to be demolished by the city and restores it as close to the house's original beauty as she can. I think what she does is awesome and she's fixed up whole neighborhoods, bringing them out of the ghetto and ready for real modern families. :shrug: I like her. She's just one person doing that, but hey. It's a difference.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Have you ever watched Rehab Addict? She usually works out of Minneapolis but is from Detroit and occasionally purchases homes to fix up in Detroit as well. She does what she normally does in MN and buys some awful old home that looks straight out of the ghetto with graffiti and boarded up windows, usually on the list to be demolished by the city and restores it as close to the house's original beauty as she can. I think what she does is awesome and she's fixed up whole neighborhoods, bringing them out of the ghetto and ready for real modern families. :shrug: I like her. She's just one person doing that, but hey. It's a difference.

But does she own an iPhone 6?

mamatutu

mama to two

Thanks! I love renovation shows and didn't know about this one. There needs to be many more like her to get Detroit fixed up.

http://www.hgtv.com/rehab-addict/show/index.html

RPMDAD

Just curious in Detroit, does the house come with bullet proof glass windows and doors??

acommondisaster

My husband absolutely loves Rehab Addict. I can see why - cute little buxom blond wearing a tank top, shorts and work boots, swinging a hammer and acting like if he came over, he could relax while she took care of the honey-do list. I think it's just "okay". I see her appeal, but I'm not a big fan of some of her quirky upcycling and recycling ideas. I got tired of her after about 4 shows. My husband's still in there watching with his tongue hanging out.

mamatutu

mama to two
My husband absolutely loves Rehab Addict. I can see why - cute little buxom blond wearing a tank top, shorts and work boots, swinging a hammer and acting like if he came over, he could relax while she took care of the honey-do list. I think it's just "okay". I see her appeal, but I'm not a big fan of some of her quirky upcycling and recycling ideas. I got tired of her after about 4 shows. My husband's still in there watching with his tongue hanging out.

Well, thanks for the tip. I won't tell my hub to watch. :lol: I think she is awesome, but I do wonder how edited as far as money cost and how they make hard look easy, and how much work she really does. It is all for tv. But, in the same turn, it is good to see America being rejuvenated. You made me laugh! I love you acd! You are the best! :smile:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
..... cute little buxom blond wearing a tank top, shorts and work boots, swinging a hammer ....

512fa05b961b8.preview-620.jpg

The Feminism I Support!

Rehab Addict’s Nicole Curtis Demolishes Entitlement Culture of Women by Elizabeth Sheld, | 20 Feb 2014

Nicole Curtis is the host(ess) of “Rehab Addict“on the HGTV/DIY networks. I confess to being a huge fan of hers, her show and HGTV/DIY. This morning Curtis took to her Facebook page to issue some smack down to “entitled” women.

Curtis’ show centers around her business of restoring historic houses in run-down neighborhoods of Detroit and Minneapolis. And she walks the walk. Curtis is a hands-on, ass-kicking contractor– knocking down walls, re-surfacing hardwood floors, installing plumbing to name a few things. A diva she is not. Her DIY bio reads:

[clip]

More at the link. Miss Sheld continues to quote Miss Curtis’ Facebook article:

In the past couple of weeks, I have had a few unpleasant experiences with women who actually had the nerve to state that they are a minority business owner (because they are a woman) and that should do what? This is where I bang my head — I am a business owner who happens to be a woman — don’t judge me on my gender — judge me on my work — ladies — you want equal ground — gain it by being equal in professionalism and quality of work — not by making excuses that you are a small minority business owner. It brings the rest of us down. I scrubbed floors for 10 years and worked my rear off to get where I am at-don’t think for a minute that I’m the person to whine to that you should be able to shortstep the process of dedication because you are a woman — last time I checked, I am too. We are all given opportunities when we put the time in and develop the drive — teach your daughters that that’s how you get ahead — no entitlement here, please.

The editor at the First Street Journal adds this:

[clip]

Let’s not kid ourselves: Miss Curtis is where she is, as a television star, because she’s — as one of the clients on her show once put it — hot and blonde. But being very attractive and personable was the part which enabled her to transition from a good rehabber to a television star; she had to become a good, hands-on residential rehabber on her own, before she ever got the shot at the television program.3 Had she not been so pretty, she’d (probably) never have gotten the television show, but she’d still be a good rehabilitation contractor and a success in that field. And the vast majority of successful people out there are people who don’t have television programs, who are mostly unknown to everyone but their friends and families.

Last edited: