Mandatory Masks Aren’t About Safety, They’re About Social Control

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
An April 18 article in the Washington Post underscores the strategy, presenting the mask controversy as a left versus right debate. People resisting mandatory mask policies are, per usual, painted as unreasonable, headstrong, and backward—displaying ignorant American bravado while rejecting science and good sense. (That caricature is itself a tool to mock, marginalize, and silence dissent.)

The most telling passage of the article is this one:

For Trump’s supporters, declining to wear a mask is a visible way to demonstrate “that ‘I’m a Republican,’ or ‘I want businesses to start up again,’ or ‘I support the president,’ ” said Robert Kahn, a law professor at the University of St. Thomas in Minneapolis who has studied Americans’ attitudes toward masks. ‘Masks will quickly become the new normal in blue states, but if social distancing continues through 2022, the mentality among Republicans could well change, too: If I can go to work and the cost of marginal improvement in my life is wearing a mask, maybe Americans of both parties do accommodate ourselves to it.’
And that’s the key. If we want to marginally improve our lives, we will submit. The masks aren’t the endgame. The point of the masks is to teach the American people that if we want to get some sense of normal, we have to accept abnormality.

If everyone is wearing a mask, it telegraphs a society-wide acceptance that the status quo has changed, and with that consensus other changes can come, too. Society will be primed to accept measures that most normal Americans would reject in any other time. Our new normal will include a permanent expansion of the bureaucracy and alarming new COVID-related regulations.

Mandatory Masks Aren’t About Safety, They’re About Social Control

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Sad to see VA go full Fascist ..... but then look who NoVA Elected Gov

I don't expect to see too many VA Citizens below NoVA obeying this ..... especially the further south you go

Scat

We will see. I think the people, as a whole, like the mask idea. I was in Va. this morning and quite a few were walking around outside with their masks. Look at all the ones you see driving their own car wearing them.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
The people in Va Beach didn't care for the masks. ALL along the boardwalk there were tons of people not wearing masks. Some, yes. Mostly, the older people. Restaurant servers were wearing them - makes sense since they come into contact with 100's of people. Restaurant workers also wore plastic gloves. Even at the hotel - it was mixed.

Most of the "souvenir" shops did not require masks, and the cashiers/ workers either had a mask on or they had the plastic shield up at the counter between you and the cashier.

The only reason the governor of Va has mandated masks is political.

Hijinx

Most experts have said the masks are pretty much a waste.
I don't think they will be around much longer.
Certainly my distaste for them has nothing to do with being a Trump supporter or being a Republican.
This learned, educated, Mensa in his own mind, law professor is just another left wing Commie prick teaching our progeny more left wing BS. Our colleges sure need to be cleaned up if America has a future.

The damned things are a pain in the ass.

TPD

the poor dad
Just saw a piece on MSNBC this morning that had some "expert" promoting laws should be enacted forcing the use of masks in public - similar to banning smoking inside public buildings - you know it for our safety and health. I only watched about 32 seconds of it but it seemed Willie was all for it.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Most experts have said the masks are pretty much a waste.
I don't think they will be around much longer.
Certainly my distaste for them has nothing to do with being a Trump supporter or being a Republican.
This learned, educated, Mensa in his own mind, law professor is just another left wing Commie prick teaching our progeny more left wing BS. Our colleges sure need to be cleaned up if America has a future.

The damned things are a pain in the ass.
The Science is Conclusive: Masks and Respirators do NOT Prevent Transmission of Viruses

Masks Don't Work: A review of science relevant to COVID-19 social policy