Manning and the Hall of Fame

B

Bruzilla

I was watching one of the NFL pregame shows, and heard one of the talking heads mention that Peyton Manning has a place in the HOF, and I thought why? What has this guy done to merit being inducted? Yeah, he's a good quarterback, but he's not a spectacular one. He's lost as many playoff games as won, and he's never even been to a Superbowl yet alone won one. He set the new touchdown passes record, but it took him a 16-game season to beat a record that was set by Marino during a 13-game season, so I don't see that as a cause celeb, especially given that many guys who set records don't get inducted.

So other than being the most over-talked about player in the NFL, what has this guy done to make anyone think he's got a smooth ride to the HOF at this point?

mainman

Set Trippin
Bruzilla said:
I was watching one of the NFL pregame shows, and heard one of the talking heads mention that Peyton Manning has a place in the HOF, and I thought why? What has this guy done to merit being inducted? Yeah, he's a good quarterback, but he's not a spectacular one. He's lost as many playoff games as won, and he's never even been to a Superbowl yet alone won one. He set the new touchdown passes record, but it took him a 16-game season to beat a record that was set by Marino during a 13-game season, so I don't see that as a cause celeb, especially given that many guys who set records don't get inducted.

So other than being the most over-talked about player in the NFL, what has this guy done to make anyone think he's got a smooth ride to the HOF at this point?
Who said that?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not true...

The Dolphins were 14-2 the year Dan tossed 48. Went to Superbowl, lost to the San Francisco Montanas.

As far as the rest, I agree, it's too early to enshrine him. He's only in his 8th season, border line, to me, for even being enough time to be considered.

Now, his stats, completions, TD's to int's, durability, completion % and so forth are Hall of Fame numbers to me if...

1. He keeps it up for another two years. He's started every game for 7 years and is 5-5 so far this year. 10 years of tough guy with those numbers would make it OK with me.

And/or

2. He gets to at least one Superbowl.

His stats have noticeably improved every year in pretty much every category, another sign of a HOF type career.

He ain't there, the HOF, but he is for sure on his way.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Larry Gude said:
Now, his stats, completions, TD's to int's, durability, completion % and so forth are Hall of Fame numbers

I don't think there's an IF unless they go down... He's in!