Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

merc669

I have both a Roku 2 and 3. Roku 2 limited to 720P while the 3 can do 1080. The 3 uses a faster processor and is more responsive and quicker. Plus the 3 supports youtube. PlayOn uses your computer as a server and can stream most of the current content. I paid for the lifetime of 59 and not sure if its really worth it though. I have Netflix, Amazon, Hulu+ and Redbox that we subscribe to and watch. That along with Shoutcast and the LiveNews Channel is about all we watch. LiveNews Channel has Channel 7 news from DC so we use that for local weather only. I also use Plex Media Server for streaming music, pictures and movies from Digital copies from my main desktop. Overall we are happy with both Roku's and now costing us around 25 a month compared to 150 when I was with Direct-TV. Only foreseeable issue I see now was when the FCC lost their case is companies like Verizon, throttling streaming shows forcing companies to raise the cost to pay the toll charges. But still if I can keep it under 40 or less its still pretty decent.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Netflix reaches deal with Comcast

Just ran across this:

"NEW YORK (AP) -- Netflix has reached a deal with Comcast to ensure that its TV shows and movies are streamed smoothly to households, the first deal the online video streaming service has reached with an Internet service provider.

The two companies said in a joint statement Sunday they're establishing a more direct connection to provide a better service to customers that will also allow for future growth in Netflix traffic. The companies say the arrangement is already giving customers a better experience."

Netflix reaches deal with Comcast - WTOP.com

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Just saw this story:

"WASHINGTON -- It's a tough call to make, but more people are cutting the cable cord.

With more options out there, many people think paying for cable isn't worth it. Options such as Roku and Chromecast, which deliver current TV shows on an actual TV -- rather than a computer, and paid services such as Netflix are gaining in popularity.

"I feel like it's a little pricey, especially when I see that bill every month," cable-user Brendon Esposito says of costs for the service. "

http://wtop.com/249/3664108/The-trend-of-ditching-the-cable-box

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
If they would be willing to offer a la carte options rather than ridiculous packages, more people would be willing to stick around.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
If they would be willing to offer a la carte options rather than ridiculous packages, more people would be willing to stick around.

A relative of mine just went through hell and back with Comcast over seeing her bill increase. In the course of the conversation about the $20 bill increase she saw, they offered to give her HBO free for 1 year but said they have to change her set top boxes to the more current one. She was like fine. She gets the next bill and her bill went up by like $40 - she finds out it's because of the rental fee for the newer model set top boxes ! Sheesh just how many tricks are there? Not everyone can be an expert in all of the ways businesses have to increase their profits.

They (big business) have learned that they can get over $100 a month per household for Internet .... so we will never get away from the high prices will we?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

until content providers get with the program and realize the 'I Love Lucy' @ 0800 PM on Tuesdays business model is dead
.. and let people either subscribe to specific shows [House of Cards on Netfliks] or channels and time shift when they want ... everything is digital anyway, it is tome to end the reign of the 'Video Recorder' and broadcast on X day of the week, and let people watch 'On Demand' when it fits their schedule

making consumers record a TV show or Movie already stored as a computer file is just plain stupid

until such time Torrent Method fits my needs just fine

Shutout

What is the going rate for basic cable and internet service? I dropped Comcast many years ago for reasons similar to those posted here. I have become so accustomed to having no TV, PC, or Internet at home I doubt I will ever go back.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
What is the going rate for basic cable and internet service? I dropped Comcast many years ago for reasons similar to those posted here. I have become so accustomed to having no TV, PC, or Internet at home I doubt I will ever go back.

Well I NEED internet so I can take advantage of the tele-work policy once a week. I guess I should consider the price I pay for internet to be done in part with my commuting savings 4 days a month? All work PC's are now being monitored to log activity, so that will cut back on personal use of work PC's I am sure. At work we can not connect non-approved devices to the network, nor can we connect non-approved devices to the USB ports (not even to charge our phone), so people are relying on their smart phones for person internet usage now (and using a wall charger to recharge). At any given time of day, you'll see some folks at the window trying to get a signal on their cell phones LOL. Technology is being used against people who are not putting in a full days work now. I assume there will be personnel changes based on the activity logging on work computers.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I dropped comcast cable once I kept seeing my bill go up over single month. It wasn't like 3 or 4 dollars it was like 10.00 or so a month. Finally after it going up to 200.00 I was like that is it. The fees that they kept tacking on was making it go to that level. The only part about Netflix I don't like is that there are certain TV shows that you have to get the DVD instead of streaming. Example: Under the Dome. That doesn't get streamed..but on Amazon Prime it does. So I may end up getting Amazon Prime also.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I watch two channels. MASN for the Orioles & ESPN for Friday night fights. Everything else I see online. We just downgraded to a basic Direct TV package because it’s ridiculous to pay so much for so little, but guess what, I lost MASN. I went to look into MLB TV and its $120 for a year subscription and you get every game….except your local team. :mad: They have a deal with cable providers not to let subscribers see their local teams so they have to buy cable. There’s a workaround for this but if I’m paying $120 I don’t think I should have to use it. I ended up downloading MLB at bat last night for $10 so at least I can listen to the Orioles (at least I should be able to). I’m about ready to say good bye to all of it.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
.... nor can we connect non-approved devices to the USB ports (not even to charge our phone), so people are relying on their smart phones for person internet usage now (and using a wall charger to recharge).

Technology is being used against people who are not putting in a full days work now.

I assume there will be personnel changes based on the activity logging on work computers.

as a Network Admin - we don't want you bringing your virus infected files to work via your Smart Phone, or stealing confidential company files

.... if you don't get your project done on time, a review of your web history might be warranted .... companies don't go looking unless there is already a problem

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I thought I'd share my latest venture....

I decided to do some heavy research on OTA antennas.

I purchased this http://www.spectrumantenna.com/Long-Range-High-Gain-Outdoor-HDTV-Antenna-SP613-p/sp613.htm

I had a promo code, free shipping blah blah blah and ended up spending $78-79 dollars. I thought the price was worth it and figured if it didn't work well, I'd just give it away or sell it at a yard sale. :lol:

Anyway, we connected the antenna and simply placed it on the corner of our back deck in Mechanicsville, MD. to test it and picked up 46 or 48 channels. My husband is amazed at the picture quality and the fact we picked up ION, MeTV and Grit in that line up. I am being honest when I say the picture quality with this antenna is better than the quality we get with directv.

We are in a contract with directv right now so to get out of it would cost $20 a month or $240 (12 months left) to get out, plus we are hockey fans and are, at the moment, a hostage to pay TV in order to watch any local games. I think at the very least I am only going to keep 1 box and hope more options open up while running our contract out with directv out.

Tomorrow, the plan is to put this about 25 feet in the air instead of our testing range of 7-8 feet off the ground.

I will post an update for those interested in how an OTA antenna would work in our area. We are around the 5/235 split area in Mechanicsville.

I do have 1 question.... what are some OTA recording options for live TV? I can see the need would be very little with Hulu Plus but when you work shift work, you might like to catch the game a little later instead of waiting a day for it to show up elsewhere plus, I know we are stuck in a habit that may have to change.

Last edited:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
a VCR :shrug:

I am not sure a Tivo will operate without a channel guide for your cable provider

Tivo has the best user interface, no doubt about that but the cost of the equipment coupled with the monthly fee is... well.. pricey IMO.

I dunno... I am early in reading about them and looking at options that may not even be necessary.

glhs837

Power with Control
Think you are pretty much stuck with using a home theatre computer, or HTPC. Not super expensive, but not cheap to set up a basic one, unless you already have a computer that can handle that laying around.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Think you are pretty much stuck with using a home theatre computer, or HTPC. Not super expensive, but not cheap to set up a basic one, unless you already have a computer that can handle that laying around.

I've been doing some on/off reading and I think I can format a USB/HDD hard drive and the interface on my SmartTV will allow pausing and recording of live TV.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
a VCR :shrug:

I am not sure a Tivo will operate without a channel guide for your cable provider

I am posting all this for those who seriously are considering getting out of paid TV....

Tivo does have an OTA box that has the guide. Right now, it is on special, $49.99 for the box and a $14.99 a month fee with a 1 year commitment. Cord cutters are scuffing at the monthly costs but I can see the attraction for many who might find it worth $15 a month.

"TiVo's new product, the TiVo Roamio OTA, isn't based on radical new technology. It's a near-twin of the most basic model of the TiVo Roamio, with the ability to record four shows at once and enough hard-disk space for 75 hours of HD video. The company simply ditched the CableCard slot which was required to hook up the box to cable TV—and it slashed the price from $200 to $50."

https://www.tivo.com/discover/anten...cHoJ3zuDJU0txlAujWeIkHe_g33tplQHvoaArnV8P8HAQ

I seriously think I have an option available with the SmartTV & using a USB/HDD hard drive. I'll play around with that later but have time since I am in a contract with Directv and looking to really get reception in other rooms right now using OTA. I also think many DVR OTA boxes will be coming on the market next year while my contract runs out of time.

I think in all my research on antennas, I was surprised other people said they got a better quality picture with their OTA antenna vs. paid cable/Satellite. I had a hard time believing that but now that we have connected and tested the one we bought, I can honestly say the picture is better with the OTA HD antenna vs. Directv.

Today's plan is to get this up on the mounting pole & connect the TV's in the house.

For the downstairs TV, I have 1 straight cable running but the rest of the house is spliced and we are going to try this on the wiring already in the house.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
One more thing, you can go on youtube and see the reviews on this TiVo OTA box... it does allow you to watch the live TV (with the antenna) and the ability to access your Netflix, Prime and Hulu (to name a few applications) from the box. Basically, it is just like the Roku but you also have your live channels.

Personally, if I was in the market right now, I would consider this a prime choice for DVR options & ease of usage.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
At one point Ollie's had them for $49.

Interesting you'd reply to this as I was looking online for what FIOS phone and Internet alone would be so I can go back to DTV for TV. I have phone, internet and TV from Verizon FIOS and the TV package we had is a mid level channel package for 3 tv's and NO premium channels at all, and they recently jacked the price up to $210 (started off as $135 with the 2 year agreement). Now I'm not good at math but that is a HUGE increase. The first big increase was when it went from $135 to $180, just recently it went to $210 WTH? What are the people with premium channels paying? $300 a month? So anyway, I changed our channel package to one of the lowest they have and now most of the channels we liked are gone (of course).

I believe if I split off the services and went with DTV for TV it would still end up running me around what I am paying now and I'd probably get MORE channels? Verizon wants to charge $85 a month for internet and phone, and that's with a 2 year agreement. I am starting to wonder just how important TV really is. Is it REALLY worth paying $100 a month for? Granted I get to split that cost with 2 other people, so it's not as bad as I make it sound right? BUT that's a LOT of money to pay for TV, phone, and internet!