Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

SamSpade

CBS's own streaming service is going to have to fail before they will cooperate.

Does any of the others offer CW? I mean, I could live without Arrow or The Flash, but I do like the channel, generally.

I don't think it WILL fail, but this no "no commercials" option of theirs might piss people off. They're hoping a new Star Trek series will get viewership but

Given a choice between 6 bucks for commercials, ten bucks for none - would you take it?

PeoplesElbow

Does any of the others offer CW? I mean, I could live without Arrow or The Flash, but I do like the channel, generally.

I don't think it WILL fail, but this no "no commercials" option of theirs might piss people off. They're hoping a new Star Trek series will get viewership but

Given a choice between 6 bucks for commercials, ten bucks for none - would you take it?

The CW doesn't seem to want to bother, they just put everything on their website for free. They also put their stuff on Amazon for sale, and they take the free episodes down after a couple weeks from their air time.

CBS simply doesn't want anyone but themselves to make any money off their content but themselves. I will not pay for CBS content separately, with sling I can get all of the others now so I am just waiting on their service to fail.

SamSpade

The CW doesn't seem to want to bother, they just put everything on their website for free. They also put their stuff on Amazon for sale, and they take the free episodes down after a couple weeks from their air time.

CBS simply doesn't want anyone but themselves to make any money off their content but themselves. I will not pay for CBS content separately, with sling I can get all of the others now so I am just waiting on their service to fail.

Normally I'd agree - it just happens that most of the shows my wife and I both watch are on CBS, although some of them are now over or ending soon.

And then there's CBS Sports broadcasts.

I've heard that ATT is coming with their own streaming service? Or is it just for mobile?

PeoplesElbow

Normally I'd agree - it just happens that most of the shows my wife and I both watch are on CBS, although some of them are now over or ending soon.

And then there's CBS Sports broadcasts.

I've heard that ATT is coming with their own streaming service? Or is it just for mobile?

Well ATT now owns direct TV so they probably will do something that won't cannibalize from that.

PeoplesElbow

I'd like to let everyone know that one of the worries that I had with Sling was not getting to see college football, one of my favorite things in the world, but after week 1 I was just as satisfied as I was with Metrocast. It also looks like I will get more NFL games with it than I did with Metrocast, but NFL isn't nearly as important to me.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
No cable...live Buffalo vs Ravens. Every game is on, this is the one I wanted to watch...I'm not sure why the picture loaded upside-down. :confused:

Attachments

• 20160911_150527.jpg
    20160911_150527.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 331

SamSpade

No cable...live Buffalo vs Ravens. Every game is on, this is the one I wanted to watch...I'm not sure why the picture loaded upside-down. :confused:

Ok, here's our situation --

We have Metrocast, so we have their internet.

But the biggest gripe - sportswise - is that they only carry Washington major cable networks, so if Ravens games are on the Baltimore stations only - we don't get it.
Happens about five or more times a season - the Redskins have a game at the same time, and no Ravens.

What's the minimum package I need to get, to make sure we GET those Ravens games?

somdfunguy

not impressed
Sam, FYI Roku now has a CW channel, not sure about Amazon Fire.

Should be in a few days http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/cw-roku-app-cord-cutters-1201871814/

I don't watch any CW shows but this is great news for those that do. I wish more networks would do this. I would be OK with commercials but I hope it would not be the same one over and over again.

Edit: I forgot I recently started watching that iZombie show. Pretty dumb but it passes the time while doing my cardio.

Clem72

New shows for cord cutters:

Iron Fist
Luke Cage
Jean Claude Van Johnson
The Tick
Man in the High Castle

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Sam, FYI Roku now has a CW channel, not sure about Amazon Fire.

Is it one of those channels where you still have to sign in with your "cable provider" info in order to access most of the content? That chit annoys me. There's a couple out there like that - ABC used to. They set it up sometimes to look like you have full access too, until you choose a show and finally press play and after 3 commercials wants your cable sign in info :rolleyes:

I'm also really annoyed with Hulu right now. When I signed up for Hulu plus, commercials were maybe 2 in a row, and maybe 2 commercial breaks throughout the show depending on the show's length. Now we're up to 5 commercials MINIMUM and they're almost constant. Just as if I'm watching cable when an hour-long show actually takes a full hour, when in reality without the commercials it's only 40 mins. I'd rather pay a couple more bucks a month to NOT have so many damn commercials. I can understand a couple, it's how they make money but now it feels almost more than cable puts you through but WORSE bc Hulu just picks the same 5 commercials and plays them all each and every commercial break during that particular show you're watching :cds:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
No signing in!

And

Hulu has a no commercial plan for a few more bucks.

whattt?! :otter:

you'd think they'd send an email to their current paying customers to inform them of that.....

or maybe they did and I just glazed over it like every other company corporate email :lol:

SamSpade

whattt?! :otter:

you'd think they'd send an email to their current paying customers to inform them of that.....

or maybe they did and I just glazed over it like every other company corporate email :lol:

Yeah, that seems kind of weird, but they do offer their shows online for free so....

I'll have to check it out. I'm skeptical.

belvak

Happy Camper
Okay, I'm too lazy to read through this entire thread, so here goes. Got an email about the all new Amazon Fire Stick that is being released on 10/20. Any thoughts?? I'm definitely "this close" to cutting the cable cord and would appreciate any feedback. I'm a Prime member, and it's supposed to have additional content for Prime members. Good deal? Worth it? At $39.99, seems like it is.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZV9RDK...&pf_rd_p=da5f214b-5370-438b-b832-5319bfa1fa52