Governor March 1, 2019

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member

office of maryland governor larry hogan - changing maryland for the better

Message From Governor Larry Hogan​

Dear Friend,​

s
February may only have 28 days, but we were able to get so much accomplished for the people of Maryland!

From meeting with foster youth, to celebrating Black History Month, to riding in my first hydrogen fuel-cell car, the Maryland State House was bustling with activity.

This month, we announced legislation to expand state benefits for our dedicated firefighters, and Lt. Governor Boyd Rutherford launched our Maryland Mobile Wellness Initiative to continue our work to combat the opioid crisis.

I also had the honor of representing our great state at the National Governors Association Winter Meeting in Washington, D.C. last week. As co-chair of the NGA, I am proud to serve as a leader of this bipartisan organization of our nation’s governors. I even brought my trademark purple surfboard to a bipartisan Purple Party!​
Be sure to stay up to date on what’s going on by following my Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram account, and Snapchat (username: LarryHogan).

See you next month!

Your Governor,​
sig
Governor Hogan Participates In National Governors Association Winter Meeting
c
Governor Larry Hogan joined elected officials from around the world, business leaders, and policy experts for the 2019 National Governors Association (NGA) Winter Meeting in Washington, D.C. As vice chair of the organization, Governor Hogan led and participated in a number of important discussions, including conversations with Canadian and Japanese dignitaries and business leaders on international trade.

“National Governors Association meetings are an invaluable time for all governors, both new and returning, to share information and hear from our nation’s top leaders on a wide range of issues,” said Governor Hogan. “As vice chair of the NGA, I am grateful to have the opportunity to discuss best practices with my fellow state leaders so that we can all govern effectively and deliver real results for our citizens.”​
Lt. Governor Boyd K. Rutherford Announces Maryland Mobile Wellness Initiative in Anne Arundel County​
d
Lt. Governor Boyd K. Rutherford joined state and local leaders to announce the Maryland Mobile Wellness Initiative, a mobile health vehicle to support Anne Arundel County’s array of substance use disorder care.

“Today I am pleased to announce the launch of the Maryland Mobile Wellness Initiative, a mobile wellness vehicle that will link individuals to community service providers for help with substance use disorders,” said Lt. Governor Rutherford. “As we know, the decision to voluntarily enter treatment requires a significant level of engagement and readiness, and this will offer another way for individuals and their families to seek help in a local, non-threatening environment.”

Supported with funds from the OOCC and MDH, the Maryland Mobile Wellness Initiative engages individuals in the community, offers prevention and treatment, and then links individuals to ongoing care and recovery resources.​
Governor Larry Hogan Announces Legislation to Expand State Benefits for Firefighters​
b
Governor Larry Hogan announced the introduction of two pieces of legislation directed toward honoring the service and sacrifice of Maryland first responders and professional firefighters in the 2019 legislative session. The governor made the announcement at Eastport Fire Station 36 in Annapolis, Md.

“I have been moved countless times by the selflessness of our firefighters and first responders,” said Governor Hogan. “You deserve and have earned our respect and our gratitude, and making sure you get that respect isn’t a political issue – it’s just common sense.”

The Hogan administration is aware of the dangerous situations first responders encounter on a daily basis that can lead to serious health concerns, including certain types of cancers. The governor is introducing Workers’ Compensation – Medical Presumptions legislation to add kidney or renal cell cancer and urinary cancer to the types of cancers considered occupational diseases for firefighters under Maryland’s workers’ compensation laws.​

Hogan Administration Announces Significant Progress on Conowingo Dam​

sdfh

The Hogan administration announced that Maryland has made significant progress toward solving environmental problems stemming from the Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna River. This progress includes the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) recognition of the Conowingo Watershed Implementation Plan multi-state strategy and plan to hire a third-party fundraiser and project coordinator; and Maryland’s selection of a winning bidder to carry out a pilot project for dredging, beneficial reuse, and testing of sediment behind the dam.

“From the beginning of our administration, we have warned of the risks posed by debris and pollution flowing down the Susquehanna River and over the Conowingo Dam,” said Governor Larry Hogan, who chairs the Chesapeake Executive Council regional commission. “Now, through our consistent efforts to address this issue, we are making measurable and real progress in our efforts to reduce pollution and preserve our Chesapeake Bay for future generations.”​

Commerce Corner​

df
Maryland Governor Larry Hogan announced that 27,145,831 commercial passengers flew through Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport in 2018, a new all-time annual record. The 2018 annual passenger traffic figure, a 2.9 percent increase over 2017, represents the fourth-consecutive annual passenger record for BWI Marshall.

“BWI Marshall Airport is a major transportation and economic development resource for Maryland, and we are proud to celebrate another record-breaking performance in 2018,” said Governor Hogan. “The airport and its partners continue to provide our citizens, businesses, and visitors with convenient, efficient travel and excellent customer service.”​
#RutherFacts Corner​
o
Did you know that The Hill in Easton is the earliest known free African American settlement in the country? This thriving community was officially established in 1790 but had free people of color living in the area since the 1670s. #BlackHistoryMonth

Governor Larry Hogan Proclaims 2019 as the Year of the Veteran in Maryland​

fky

Joined by more than 100 veterans, Governor Larry Hogan proclaimed 2019 as the Year of the Veteran in Maryland. This yearlong observance raises awareness of the brave service and sacrifice our United States veterans and families have made for Maryland and our country. Following the announcement, which was made on the north steps of the Maryland State House in Annapolis, the veterans joined the governor for a gathering in the Governor’s Reception Room.

“Our administration is committed to ensuring that Maryland’s 380,000 veterans are recognized for their service,” said Governor Hogan. “This proclamation is yet another way we can show our gratitude and honor the men and women who have sacrificed so much for Maryland and our nation.”​

Video Highlights​

g

A Basketball Rivalry: DeMatha vs. Archbishop Carroll​

dba

A Joy Ride: Clean Cars Act​

sdeg

A Celebration: Lunar New Year​

dsxfb

Announcement: School After Labor Day​

[ This article originally appeared here ]