March winds

Hessian

Three things...
a) Get it from the right direction & you can rake any remaining Fall leaves....deep into the woods just by flicking them from the end of your rake.
b) Serious fires break out! Do NOT burn on windy days! (Solomons' fire..2x)
c) Blow out on the bay (if coming from the N direction)...or Coastal flooding (S direction).

Wish we could get some of that cool breeze in July!

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Three things...
a) Get it from the right direction & you can rake any remaining Fall leaves....deep into the woods just by flicking them from the end of your rake.
b) Serious fires break out! Do NOT burn on windy days! (Solomons' fire..2x)
c) Blow out on the bay (if coming from the N direction)...or Coastal flooding (S direction).

Wish we could get some of that cool breeze in July!

Back in the day, pre-video games, with a rotary telephone on the kitchen wall, and only 3-4 TV channels, there was a time when people, and parents with their kids, would be flying kites during the month of March. Many a day set aside at local schools for the kids to have fly-a-kite day. Today? People can't be bothered to enjoy the simple pleasures in life. A nice day, with a good breeze, keeping one's kite aloft, for hours.

Anyone remember the kite section at stores? And the annual excitement to go shopping for a kite?

rio

We used to have a kite day in elementary school. Everyone had to build their own kites and see which one went the highest. Let's just say that no birds, aircraft, bees, or any other airborne objects were ever in danger from my kites.

flowerlover

The Smithsonian used to sponsor the Washington Kite Festival every year in March. It wasn't tied to the Cherry Blossom Festival and hundreds of people would bring homemade and store bought kites to the grounds to fly them. One year we all made kites and took them downtown - so much fun!

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
man%20carrying%20kite-body3.jpg

frequentflier

happy to be living
Though it is late in the heating season, I hauled wood to the basement today. It looks like we're going to need it for the next week or so. And despite the wind, I loved being outside today.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yesterday, we had a flood tide event on the island; in the early morning, road was completely flooded in the usual places. By tomorrow, I'll be looking at my pier sitting on mud flats....this wind is emptying out the Potomac and bay. Total tide swing over less than 48 hours: nearly 5 feet.

Crazy weather.