Mark 16:9-20

mAlice

professional daydreamer
9When Jesus rose early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had driven seven demons. 10She went and told those who had been with him and who were mourning and weeping. 11When they heard that Jesus was alive and that she had seen him, they did not believe it.
12Afterward Jesus appeared in a different form to two of them while they were walking in the country. 13These returned and reported it to the rest; but they did not believe them either.

14Later Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen.

15He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. 16Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

19After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven and he sat at the right hand of God. 20Then the disciples went out and preached everywhere, and the Lord worked with them and confirmed his word by the signs that accompanied it.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
elaine said:
The most reliable early manuscripts and other ancient witnesses do not have Mark 16:9-20
That is true, but those passages are not inconsistent with the message.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
2ndAmendment said:
That is true, but those passages are not inconsistent with the message.

Just pointing out that the bible is written, and changed, and added to and taken away from, by man.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
elaine said:
Just pointing out that the bible is written, and changed, and added to and taken away from, by man.
I have a question. You have said you were a believer. What happened in your life that made you turn away from God?

SamSpade

elaine said:
I don't think it is ever disputed that men wrote the Bible; it says so, itself, that it is written by men carried along by the Holy Spirit.

What ISN'T so, is the popularly held belief that it has been copied and recopied endlessly so that much of its original content has been altered beyond recognition - much in the way oral tradition often changes details over generations. The Bible is different in this respect - we *HAVE* tens of thousands of manuscripts from many separate time periods. You can look at Dead Sea Old Testament scrolls all the way to Jerome's Vulgate a millenia later - and see that there's no significant change in the material.

Even more - it has been so thoroughly QUOTED from by early writers, that even if every manuscript was lost tomorrow, it could still be reconstructed from the authors quoting it - from Justin Martyr all the way to Augustine and Aquinas.

There are some bits that people quibble over - like the extension to the Lord's prayer (for thine is the kingdom, etc) which aren't in the earliest manuscripts (which, by the way, do not invalidate later ones; just because something is NOT contained in an early draft doesn't make it false or unreliable). Very few of these verses change the meaning of the books of the Bible.

Really, the question isn't whether or not the Bible is credible, because of a few verses here or there that don't change the story; it's more a matter of belief in what is actually THERE.

Case in point - I don't CARE how well transcribed the KORAN is, as far as accuracy - if it was PERFECTLY accurate, I *still* do not believe it came from God.

The same logic applies to the Bible. It's not really a case of historic credibility.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
2ndAmendment said:
I have a question. You have said you were a believer. What happened in your life that made you turn away from God?

What difference does it make?

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
elaine said:
What difference does it make?
I'm interested. There must have been some hurt done you by someone you thought to be a person of God or some prayer not answered to your expectation or some event that happened to you for you to post what you do.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
2ndAmendment said:
I'm interested. There must have been some hurt done you by someone you thought to be a person of God or some prayer not answered to your expectation or some event that happened to you for you to post what you do.

Even if that were the case, it would still make no difference. That's like asking you why you have imaginary friends.