Mars at Opposition 2018

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Get ready to see the Red Planet up close this month: When Mars reaches opposition with the sun in late July, observers on Earth will have their closest view of the planet since 2003.

Mars and Earth both orbit the sun, but at different distances, and thus, different speeds. Every two years or so, Mars, Earth and the sun form a straight line during the course of their orbits, with Earth in the middle — an event known as opposition.

The rest of the article...

https://www.space.com/40588-mars-at-opposition.html

To be fair... I didn't read this article.

Being about "Mars Opposition"... I just couldn't listen to another Leftist rant about the "Red Planet" being racist!

It was already quite visible 4-July. We were out boating waiting for the fireworks, saw a very bright Venus rise, and a little while later Mars was shining.

1st time in a long time I could see the Milky Way too. We were on a lake in the middle of Arkansas with no light pollution, unlike here.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
It was already quite visible 4-July. We were out boating waiting for the fireworks, saw a very bright Venus rise, and a little while later Mars was shining.

1st time in a long time I could see the Milky Way too. We were on a lake in the middle of Arkansas with no light pollution, unlike here.

It was quite visible here in the Tampa area as well - should be really nice later in the month.

ReadingTheNews

Venus is the brightest thing in the evening sky, just after the sun has set, so probably wasn't what you saw rise. Most likely it was Saturn that was rising later in the evening. Mars is very bright and reddish-orange and looking like early Halloween. (sky-:nerd:)

Venus is the brightest thing in the evening sky, just after the sun has set, so probably wasn't what you saw rise. Most likely it was Saturn that was rising later in the evening. Mars is very bright and reddish-orange and looking like early Halloween. (sky-:nerd:)

It was Venus. When I said rise, that just meant it became visible as the sun set.