Marshall Hall Landing boat launch

xobxdoc

So I tried this launch today for my Seadoo. It's directly across the Potomac from Mt. Vernon.
Because it's free and no attendant, I tried calling Charles Co. Sheriff to see if there were issues at this site. They told me they are not allowed to give out crime statistics. So that was a red flag.
I gave it a shot this morning. There was 2 parked trucks with trailers. As soon as I rolled up about to launch, 2 individuals in a camry rolled up after me and sat in their car. They watched me motor out but I hesitated due to issues with the seadoo blue tooth. I'm idling 20 yards from the pier for about 15 minutes.
I went on my way heading towards Mt.Vernon. I looked back and they got out of the car. I immediately headed back. By the time I got back there was 3 vehicles hovering in the boat trailer parking area without boats or trailers. I trailered my seadoo and got out of there. I went down to Smallwood launch and gladly paid the $10 fee.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Thanks for the warning. This is one of the many public landings that I planned to check out. It's a damned shame that we've worked and paid taxes all our lives, to build and maintain these facilities and we can't use them. Now that we have time, they're no longer usable because of the local non-contributing members of society and multitudes of invasive foreigners. Fees keep away the riff-raff.

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
From the Charles County Parks and Rec site -
Located in the northwest section of the County at the end of Route 227, this boat launching facility gives direct access to the Potomac River. Available, free to the public, are two boat ramps, a boarding pier and parking for approximately 25 boat trailers. This is a popular area for shoreline fishing.

Marshall Hall boat launching facility is open from dawn to dusk year round.

Kinnakeet

Drug deals all day and night there police drive by wave and leave as they are probably afraid to get shot or are a part of the problem

OccamsRazor

Typically, I have to work on Wednesday mornings so I don't get to see this happen. Glad you got away unharmed though...

Kinnakeet

Try Friendship. Small parking lot, but a weekday morning may be fine.
Friendship landing in Najemoy that used to be a yellow perch haven in the early spring back in the 80's years ago there was always a oil slick around the boat launch turns out there were 1-2 stolen cars underwater.

woogie

The Marshal Hall mansion was burned by local arsonists of a certain demographic group. The Marshal Hall amusement park
suffered and eventually died off due to a certain demographic group. Now they own the jungle (nature preserve) that has
taken over after everything was vandalised, destroyed and is gone.

I remember the family mansion (historically significant), the amusement park and the Wilson Line boats that came from DC
and Mount Vernon. Wonderful things in wonderful times. Now gone due to "progress".................................. Sad. And we let it all
happen!

stgislander

PREMO Member
The Marshal Hall mansion was burned by local arsonists of a certain demographic group. The Marshal Hall amusement park
suffered and eventually died off due to a certain demographic group. Now they own the jungle (nature preserve) that has

I remember the family mansion (historically significant), the amusement park and the Wilson Line boats that came from DC
and Mount Vernon. Wonderful things in wonderful times. Now gone due to "progress".................................. Sad. And we let it all
happen!
That's sounds like "reverse gentrification."

ginwoman

I think this is where my parents took me once or twice when I was a little girl in the late 60's. Such a shame that the mansion was burned. And a truck ran into it?

slowlane

happen!

slowlane

I always assumed the park closed in the mid-1970s because of competition from larger, more exciting parks like Kings Dominion. Also the phaseout of slot machines in 1968.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
The ruins of the Marshall Hall Mansion represent the largest house built in pre-1740 Maryland and one of only two surviving examples of 18th century one and a half story buildings. The property functioned as a steamboat landing for much of its history and from 1958 through 1980 housed an amusement park, complete with Ferris wheel, roller coasters, bumper cars, and slot machines. Today the ruins are surrounded by a 110 x 115 foot chain link fence after a fire in 1981 and a truck crash in 2003 destroyed much of the structure.

I remember my father taking our family there a long time ago. Do not remember much about the park because I was young but I remember going.

Hijinx

We used to go there on school trips and hay rides.
It closed down right about the same time Glen Echo and Gwynne Park closed down, due to integration and the ensuing protests. We also used to go to Chapel Point for the roller skating and picnics.

It was a fun place to go. It's closing had nothing to do with slot machines.