Mary Ellis burial site

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
It's in a parking lot of an AMC movie theater in New Brunswick, NJ. Reported to be the inspiration for the 1972 song Brandy by the Rutgers University band Looking Glass.

Mary-Ellis-Today.jpg

Mary Ellis came to New Brunswick in the 1790’s to stay with her younger sister Margaret. It was around this time that she met and fell in love with a man who was a sea captain, and former Revolutionary War officer. The Captain sailed down the Raritan and out to sea one day, vowing that when he returned he and Mary would be wed. He even left her his beloved horse to look after in his absence.

Every day after her captain’s departure, Mary would ride his horse from her sister’s house, on what is now Livingston Avenue, down to the banks of the river to eagerly await a glimpse of her lover’s returning ship. In 1813, she purchased a parcel of farmland overlooking the river from which she would maintain her daily vigil. Mary died there fourteen years later in 1828, still faithfully anticipating her captain’s return. She was buried on the property, and was eventually joined by with her sister and other family members, and according to local lore, the captain’s horse.

The Final Parking Place of Mary Ellis | Weird NJ

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's in a parking lot of an AMC movie theater in New Brunswick, NJ. Reported to be the inspiration for the 1972 song Brandy by the Rutgers University band Looking Glass.

What?? How did I miss this roadside oddity??

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I looked at buying a waterfront home on St. George Island a few years ago. There were a few headstones on the property, not far from the house.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I looked at buying a waterfront home on St. George Island a few years ago. There were a few headstones on the property, not far from the house.
About 10 years ago I looked at a house in Dahlgren area I was thinking about buying.

It had a family graveyard on the property boundary with the Woodline.

Would have been great for Halloween.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
About 10 years ago I looked at a house in Dahlgren area I was thinking about buying.

It had a family graveyard on the property boundary with the Woodline.

Would have been great for Halloween.
Still legal to do. You can be buried on your property in MD, and even in a box, not inside a coffin inside a concrete crypt.

UglyBear

Still legal to do. You can be buried on your property in MD, and even in a box, not inside a coffin inside a concrete crypt.
That’s what I told Mrs to do when I go. Just get a neighbor with a backhoe to dig a hole somewhere in the woods, dump the corpse in, be done.
Use the money to throw a party with good grub and liquor, live band if she wants, give to the Church. Go on a nice vacation.

Threatened her that if she spends a cent of my hard-earned and hard-saved money on BS like a fancy coffin or cemetery plot and such, I will haunt her a$s.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
That’s what I told Mrs to do when I go. Just get a neighbor with a backhoe to dig a hole somewhere in the woods, dump the corpse in, be done.
Use the money to throw a party with good grub and liquor, live band if she wants, give to the Church. Go on a nice vacation.

Threatened her that if she spends a cent of my hard-earned and hard-saved money on BS like a fancy coffin or cemetery plot and such, I will haunt her a$s.
Why are you making her do all of the work? Go out there and dig her a hole, while you’re at it track down a box. While your at it start building up a little nest egg at the liquor store…

UglyBear

Why are you making her do all of the work? Go out there and dig her a hole, while you’re at it track down a box. While your at it start building up a little nest egg at the liquor store…
Hey, I’m not planning to kick the bucket for a while yet. By the time I do, if we even live on the same side of Mississippi, the hole would cave in, grow trees and the liquor store go out of business :yahoo:(btw, forget the box — just delays worms from getting a meal).

Funny story: my grandpa had a coffin made for himself, stored it in the shed disassembled, even had the red satin lining in a bag. My bleeding heart grandma kept giving it away to “well, you know, so and so needs it more than us”. So he had maybe five coffins made over two decades. Finally said screw it, not doing it anymore.