Maryland Beer and Wine Sales

PeoplesElbow

Maryland considering allowing grocery stores sell beer and wine.

I've said for years they should do this. Other states that did saw the blight associated with liquor stores disappear.

People will also see how much they gouged on domestic beer.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I noticed the other day that the new McKays at San Souci also has a liquor store, like their others do.

I seem to recall several years ago there was a fight about this due to their being 2 liquor stores right close by. One across the street by Asahi and Twist on the corner of 235 and Millstone Landing.

Did they get it because they are The McKays?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
My sister lives in Talbot County and grocery store alcohol sales are allowed there. I remember researching this awhile back and each county in Maryland set their own rules including where it may be purchased, what type of alcohol is allowed to be sold where, and hours of sales. Sunday sales are still not allowed in Baltimore City or Baltimore County. Very convoluted laws, so read at your own risk.

Alcohol laws of Maryland - Wikipedia

(Yes, it's from Wikipedia, but it's the only chart I could find that made some sort of sense.)

Last edited:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

The hell? Why limit it to beer and wine? I want whiskey wherever I go. This puritan ideal from the 1600's, or whenever, has got to go. If there be beer or wine sales, whiskey must be there as well!!!

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I noticed the other day that the new McKays at San Souci also has a liquor store, like their others do.

I seem to recall several years ago there was a fight about this due to their being 2 liquor stores right close by. One across the street by Asahi and Twist on the corner of 235 and Millstone Landing.

Did they get it because they are The McKays?
I believe it was a transfer (liquor/beer license) from the old McKays that was on Great Mills.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Maybe because they aren't part of a "chain". Mattingly's had a liquor section too. I'm just guessing.
If I remember correctly. although they are next to each other with glass seperating the grocery store from the liquor store, one has to physically go outside the grocery store to enter the liquor store.

mitzi

If I remember correctly. although they are next to each other with glass seperating the grocery store from the liquor store, one has to physically go outside the grocery store to enter the liquor store.

Only the McKays in Leonardtown has that (I don't know about the new store). McKay's in Charlotte Hall and Hollywood the liquor section is part of the store and so was Mattingly's. They aren't/weren't separated.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Only the McKays in Leonardtown has that (I don't know about the new store). McKay's in Charlotte Hall and Hollywood the liquor section is part of the store and so was Mattingly's. They aren't/weren't separated.
I think the Hollywood store is the only one you can directly walk into. I think the one in Leonardtown you have to walk next door, too.

NextJen

Raisin cane
All I know is, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a liquor store in Calvert County. Every grocery store location has a liquor store within 500 feet or so, along with one in every strip center and even stand alones.
Putting beer and wine in grocery stores in Calvert will only take away valuable food space in the already limited grocery space because Calvert has kept the grocery store footprints so small.

mitzi

I think the Hollywood store is the only one you can directly walk into. I think the one in Leonardtown you have to walk next door, too.

You do in Leonardtown. The one in Charlotte Hall is part of the store. Unless it's changed over the past year. I don't make it up there to that one much anymore.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You do in Leonardtown. The one in Charlotte Hall is part of the store. Unless it's changed over the past year. I don't make it up there to that one much anymore.
I haven't been in that one for over 10 years, so I can't comment.

mitzi

I haven't been in that one for over 10 years, so I can't comment.

That was my grocery store when I lived in Mechanicsville. I worked part time (a long time ago) at the old Hollywood store and at Mattingly's. I usually was in the liquor store/express section.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
That was my grocery store when I lived in Mechanicsville. I worked part time (a long time ago) at the old Hollywood store and at Mattingly's. I usually was in the liquor store/express section.
I've never been a regular at any of the stores.